Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
46,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MOT is booked for Thursday, and I'm currently looking into replacing the fronts. Except I was a bit lazy when I checked them and decided they needed changing - only checked the drivers side, which had a little bit over the TWI. Just checked the4 passenger side, and it's basically right ON the TWI.
Is that a fail or a pass? I thought I'd heard that the TWO was at 2mm while the pass is of course 1.6, but can't find anywhere to confirm.

Either way I'm a bit annoyed at myself as I usually make it a rule to replace a good while before the legal limit. But it'd be nice to know I can order the tyres and wait the week for their delivery rather than have to cancel the MOT and take my car off the road.

M

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure about 2 mm being the correct measurement for the wear indicator, but if it is then the .4 mm tolerence would be difficult to measure, I reckon you need some new boots mate.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The legal requirements are actually pretty low - 1.6mm across three quarters of the width of the tyre and visible tread on the remainder. Of course if the MOT place also SELLS tyres they tend to be a bit more particular.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tread wear indicators are about 3.0mm. You will pass the mot as long as the other aspects of your tyre wear are ok. You should however, get an 'advisory' for the tyres being on the wear indicators, but not a fail

·
Administrator
46,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Local tyre place said they had the Sessantas in my size, so went at lunch time. Turns out they were just the standard Ultracs.
It would be several weeks before he got a shipment of Sessantas, and I'm not willing to drive around for that long on the tyres as they stand, legal or not, so I've not got Ultracs on the front instead.

I'm definitely considering changing to standard Ultracs altogether as tyres wear down now. I've had to get Sessantas on three occasions now, and every time it's been a proper ballache getting hold of them.

Of course the problem is that, if I do want to go down that road, I should have got the Sessantas swapped to the front so they'd wear down quicker. :rolleyes:
Don't think I care enough to go and get them changed around now though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Is that Street Legal James?

·
Administrator
46,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's right Mark.
That Jason might be a family friend, but he's a dodgy geezer and no mistake. I have more than a suspicion that he deliberately made the mistake about the Ultracs to get me there, but need dictated what I did anyway.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
That's right Mark.
That Jason might be a family friend, but he's a dodgy geezer and no mistake. I have more than a suspicion that he deliberately made the mistake about the Ultracs to get me there, but need dictated what I did anyway.
Oooerrr, I was planning on going there for some Ultrac's myself when the need arises!

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Are the standard Ultracs the correct spec for the GTA?

·
Administrator
46,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only difference is speed rating. The Ultracs are only rating for 168mph. :rolleyes:

I'll take 'em back :p

·
Administrator
46,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Despite being quite happy with a 168mph maximum, I have been to check the GTA manual for your piece of mind.

It only specifies that the tyre be a 'ZR' which means the speed rating must be more than 240kph. w is 270kph, y is 310kph, so either meets the necessary spec.

Cheers for your concern ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts