Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Getting close to pulling the trigger on an Alfa. I thought it was about time I bought a car with my heart and not my head! However I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face. I'm a very keen cyclist and need to carry my race bike in the back of the car. My wish list has been reduced to two cars, the first is a 159, 2.0 JTD TI and the other is a 2.0 JTD Guilietta.
So, the question is can I get my bike and kit in the back of either car easily? I have read some reviews that they are limited for space but to me they look big enough. I was wondering if any owners had relevant experience? Also if it is too tight what bike racks would you recommend for either car?
Many thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wouldn't know for sure if your bike would fit. I reckon an adult bike frame will fit across the rear seats in the 159 ok, leaving the wheels to boot in the boot.

Have you considered a 159 SW (Estate)? They carry a bit more of a premium but I should think it'll be big enough to swallow a bike whole comfortably along with other bits and bobs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't know for sure if your bike would fit. I reckon an adult bike frame will fit across the rear seats in the 159 ok, leaving the wheels to boot in the boot.

Have you considered a 159 SW (Estate)? They carry a bit more of a premium but I should think it'll be big enough to swallow a bike whole comfortably along with other bits and bobs.
Hi, yes I have. Seem to be fare less of them around, especially in the colour/options combination I like. I take it the 159 saloon seats fold down? If they do does it provide a lot more space?

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
It'll easily fit.
I've had my mountain bike in both a GTV and Spider (roof up). Front wheel & saddle off.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Marco, perhaps I can help.

I race Ironman Triathlon, and I bought my Alfa with my heart not my head. Despite having a Ti (means I get folding rear seats) carrying a bike about is a real pain. At the time I figured I didn't like the look of SW, and at around a 1200 pound premium over the saloon I figured I'd buy a roof rack and be done with it. Admittedly, I never bought the roof rack because it looked like more faff to fit than getting my bike in.

I'm 6'2, and ride a 56 road bike. If I'm off for a race weekend and need to take camping stuff, I'll remove both wheels and fit the frame behind the front seats (this means moving both seats forward, inserting frame then carefully sliding each back again. This leaves me with plenty of room for camping stuff + the rest of my tri kit, but the car is absolutely packed to the gunnels with very little room for passenger luggage. You can forget taking more than one bike inside the car too.

If I'm just heading to a race, I'll drop the seats, still remove both wheels and slide the frame in the boot, however with my frame + tri bars, it is literally a case of millimeters to spare.

Also, beware that the front of the 159 (and sides of a Ti) are very low, and I've had issues getting into/out of fields when camping. Granted, getting the SW version won't help this, but at least it's more practical!

Just my honest opinion from a practicality perspective. Of course the car has so much more to offer than this, and although its been fun to own and drive, It's not at all practical, and I can't wait to chop my 159 in for something like an SQ5 later this year.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
410 Posts
My 159 had no folding rear seats. I bought a towbar mounted rack - Atera 3 bike size, but you need a towbar, and the rack is fairly heavy so may not be suitable for your needs. I would use a roof rack but am no longer strong enough to lift the bike up so high.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Totally support LuckyC.

My wife and I do Tri (or used to) and the 159 is pretty cramped. Like LuckyC we are both tall; I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'11". You will not get two bikes in this car and a single bike is remove wheels, push front seats forward, struggle to get the bike in and push seats back - very carefully. All the time you are worried that you have trashed the leather seats. They are pretty tough (on the early cars anyway) but it really isn't fun. Forget the Giulietta that is very cramped in the rear.

Only sensible way with these is a roof rack but that might change if you are 5'6" or less.

Another option is having two cars; a cheapy hatchback with folding seats and the Alfa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. Thanks for all the replies, kandlbarrett and LukeyC especially helpful. Think I will take the TT bike( size 54, I'm 5'11") along with me to a viewing and try for myself. If it's too much of a faff then I might rethink what I buy. I too plan to camp and take two bikes so I think it might end up with a roof rack or looking at the SW.
Incidentally does the SW offer that much more? Looking at them they don't seem that much bigger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts