Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I remove the window switch? I'm wanting to pull out the switch and remove the sticky top coat that we get on our window switches, so I'll be putting the same unit back in. Am I right in thinking that a proxy alignment is only needed when a 'new to the car' item is replacing an old one?

Cheers.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I dont believe so. Just make sure you do not turn on ignition with parts removed.
Had to do mine but changed the switch for another :)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's reinforced my original thought, cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The canbus will throw an error message whilst the drivers side switch is disconnected or defective. Once replaced with a good switch the message will disappear without the need for a proxy.

There is an ecu in the drivers side that controls all other door locking including the boot.

If you are removing the window switch make sure you find and remove the small cross head screw that is directly beneath the switch and goes through the door panel into the switch.

A few people have missed this screw and used excess force to lever out the switch. That will only result in the switch breaking and flying apart and you won't find all the bits to reassemble it. Please don't ask how I know this!

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
:furious:
The canbus will throw an error message whilst the drivers side switch is disconnected or defective. Once replaced with a good switch the message will disappear without the need for a proxy.

There is an ecu in the drivers side that controls all other door locking including the boot.

If you are removing the window switch make sure you find and remove the small cross head screw that is directly beneath the switch and goes through the door panel into the switch.

A few people have missed this screw and used excess force to lever out the switch. That will only result in the switch breaking and flying apart and you won't find all the bits to reassemble it. Please don't ask how I know this!
Same way as me I'm guessing, it's a bugger to find all those little pins

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Many thanks for the heads up on the Philips screw....not all of the threads I've searched have mentioned this and I'd have been more than annoyed with myself if I broke anything.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Having recently r cleaned one faulty WCU and replaced another I now have a policy of disconnecting the Battery and giving it a while for the capacitors to drain before working.

Its overkill I know but I will explain what happened when I didn't do this.

It started with a door open reading from the drivers side when the door was closed...intermittent fault and a problem because if it happens while the car is parked it triggers the alarm. The window will also open as they are designed to when the door is opened.

Its not fun sorting this in your jim jams at 3am ! Alarm going off,wet seat..not good.

Sorted that night by perseverance and when the window finally went up disconnecting the battery and manually locking the car.

Next day...

I removed the drivers side window control unit and cleaned all conectors male and female ..checked it all over and re-connected.

However when I reconnected the WCU The fault was gone from the drivers side but had "moved" to the passenger side!

My mucker Barry used to work on PCB's for Phillips and mused that when disconnecting any part of a circuit power surges can happen and damage other components..especially PCB's which are very fragile...I did not on this occasion disconnect the battery.

After much faffing a replacement passenger side WCU solved the issue.

There were no codes registered at any point. It was simply a physical failure of the unit due to some strangeness occurring when fixing the drivers side.

All good now for a few months.

Proxy alignment is NOT required AFAIK.

Mine didn't require it.

DO disconnect the battery before messing with anything...

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having recently r cleaned one faulty WCU and replaced another I now have a policy of disconnecting the Battery and giving it a while for the capacitors to drain before working.

Its overkill I know but I will explain what happened when I didn't do this.

It started with a door open reading from the drivers side when the door was closed...intermittent fault and a problem because if it happens while the car is parked it triggers the alarm. The window will also open as they are designed to when the door is opened.

Its not fun sorting this in your jim jams at 3am ! Alarm going off,wet seat..not good.

Sorted that night by perseverance and when the window finally went up disconnecting the battery and manually locking the car.

Next day...

I removed the drivers side window control unit and cleaned all conectors male and female ..checked it all over and re-connected.

However when I reconnected the WCU The fault was gone from the drivers side but had "moved" to the passenger side!

My mucker Barry used to work on PCB's for Phillips and mused that when disconnecting any part of a circuit power surges can happen and damage other components..especially PCB's which are very fragile...I did not on this occasion disconnect the battery.

After much faffing a replacement passenger side WCU solved the issue.

There were no codes registered at any point. It was simply a physical failure of the unit due to some strangeness occurring when fixing the drivers side.

All good now for a few months.

Proxy alignment is NOT required AFAIK.

Mine didn't require it.

DO disconnect the battery before messing with anything...

Good luck!
Yes I would agree with disconnecting the battery allowing that there is so much inter connected circuitry, I did this when I replaced the A/C control unit several years back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts