Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,Ive had Fiatecuscan for a while and ive used a k line cable on my 147. I now have a diesel. I was given a "suspect" elm cable but it wont show up engine faults on my diesel but it does appear to connect, the same "suspect" cable would not connect for proxy realignement on my 147 twinspark. Ive read that Diesels were not obd11 compliant till 04. My question is should i buy another elm cable and should it connect to an 03 156 jtd. Anyone here know the best/cheapest source for a cable cheers.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a look at the link then had to have a lie down..... I can put my hand to most things but would prefer to buy a ready made cable.I apreciate your post and it seems the cable i was given may be suspect.Where may i get a trusted cable.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
what version of ELM cable do you have? FES only supports v1.3+ ... also FES is not an ODBII program it talks to the cars in native "alfa language" ... why not just use your KKL cable with FES???

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
does FiatECUscan work with Rarebears cable? I thought it does, but having problems (i have PM'd him)

what sort is it? ELM/VAGcom etc etc just getting 'timed out' repeatedly

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fiatecuscan works with rearbears cable but i recall you need the elm cable for different issues.I cant remember which maybe airbags or abs.With the combination of the two i can sort most things on my 147 but not proxy realignement. Re my jtd i can only seem to connect to the engine with the elm cable but it wont tell me why my glow plug lamp constantly flashes it shows the fault page but no faults so i think its the cable.I will buy another but im hoping someone can point me in the right direction thanks to all.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
Also don't forget there are different ELM interfaces: 323, 327, etc.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I used to use a kkk cable on my 2003 facelift jtd to connect to the engine ecu with no problems.

I use the same cable to connect to the engine ecu on my 2006 159, I think the elm cable is only needed for canbus systems, ie body computers

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am no expert but i thought they were all canbus to an extent. My rarebear k line cable does not want to comunicate with the jtd engine ecu but my elm 327 will, perhaps i should buy another elm cable not being a dodgey chinese variety.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
airbag and ABS must communicate with the K line on the KKL cable, thats the mod I do on the KKL cable, pin 3 and pin 1 must connect to 7.
furthermore the driver must be the VCP driver on a free comm port. This has given some grief to people who are not really solo on a PC.
I test the modded cable on my 156 before shipping.
Check ftdichip.com for info and download of the driver.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Install the driver after connecting the cable to your PC but before connecting to the car. The port isn't visible until the cable is connected. True for XP and Vista but I am not a Win7 user so can't comment for that.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Correct ! I test with XP and Vista, but I do not have W7 so cannot comment on it. Are there
members with experience of W7 working with AD or FES ? Would be very helpful !

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
which one do I download?

I have Vista, so it is one off the Windows section, but there are four to chose from

Virtual COM Port Drivers

any ideas?
Two release versions (one for 32bit Windows and the other for 64bit Windows
Two Beta versions (one for 32bit Windows and the other for 64bit Windows
I suggest you use the release version as appropriate for your system (ie, do you have 32bit or 64bit install?)

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Two release versions (one for 32bit Windows and the other for 64bit Windows
Two Beta versions (one for 32bit Windows and the other for 64bit Windows
I suggest you use the release version as appropriate for your system (ie, do you have 32bit or 64bit install?)
hi David

a 32bit or 64 bit of what?

it will be in 64 bits if it doesnt work soon...... :lol:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Correct ! I test with XP and Vista, but I do not have W7 so cannot comment on it. Are there
members with experience of W7 working with AD or FES ? Would be very helpful !
I run both using W7 (Ultimate) - with one of your cables. What do you need me to check

·
Registered
930 Posts
AlfaDiag works fine on Win 7 64bit (So it works on 32 bit too).. Just plug the cable in, the system will download the drivers in the background. after 30 -60 seconds the pc will recognise the cables. Nothing else needs to be done.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts