Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys having gone back to alfa romeo after 3 yrs but always had italain cars be it a 500 abarth ' the question is at what point will the negtive comments stop!! how long will they pay or the mistskes of the 70s-80s .i must admit im pretty thick skinned butbthe costant pee taking from guys at work is starting to grind a tad ! i nornmally ask them how many alfas have you owned ? which the reply is none !!!!!! at thst point i say you dont have a opinion then so shut it .so again at what point will it end ' with the demise of the brand or when they can prove to certain people they are good cars and the rest is history .

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Shame really, but Lancia had the same problem in spite of really Top Notch rallying?

However I personally loved my HPE, and adored my Lancia Thema 16v Turbo, far more than than other cars I have owned.:):

·
Registered
350 Posts
A colleague of mine bought a Thema Turbo when they first came out. As far as I know he's still got it - went like stink and seemed unburstable. Last time I saw it the paint was getting a bit shabby but no sign of the tinworm.

Idly flicking through a copy of Autocar yesterday I noticed the G has four stars in their data pages at the back, and a recommendation. The worst comments I've had are a couple of "what made you choose an Alfa?" with only a minor degree of incredulity; one was from my nephew who's just bought a Mercedes CLA so one could ask him a similar question :).

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had a lancia beta coupe my god I loved that car even though it did fall
Apart and on one certain race from a set of lights with a mk 3 2000E my engine mounts was that rotten they snapped lol , had two 156 10 v 20 v a gtv for 9 yrs now a new abarth and a Brera . Ive always had negative comments apart from how they look .didnt help last week when guy at work bought a 156 2.5 it lasted few weeks before it killed itself ! Now I'm getting be yours soon yeh thanks guys lol .

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
One model indeed did the 8.32? iirc. Strange as it may seem the 16vTurbo was more potent, but the V8 was smoother and refined.:):

Both assuredly a collectors machine, and well deserved to be so imho. :):

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Alfa, it seems, will always be unfairly singled out in the 'rot debate', even though most other cars of the 70's and 80's were not much better. Austin, Morris and even Ford fell to bits with similar regularity, even the Sud's nemesis, the Golf Mk1 GTi.
OK so Alfa made a bad decision on it's steel purchasing but it's all history now, it's like saying "don't mention the war" in front of a german and has absolutely no bearing on Fiat/Alfa as a current brand

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Alfa's are shacking off that bad image, just look how many Giulietta's are on the roads. Not many at all are red. So that tells me they're being bought by the average Joe & not the Alfisti bunch.

Could you imagine the 159/Brera being as common as an Audi or Bmw? It would ruin it's appeal. Part of Alfa's attraction is that they're quite exclusive.

Or an enigma, the way some motorist look at the Brera. As if to say what's that car

·
Registered
688 Posts
I get the ribbing at work too, but I tell them all that they can't talk as each one of them has had issues, including
A 2014 BMW 3 which had to have it's steering rack replaced within a year - it seems BMW are aware of this but aren't issuing a recall just "tracking it".

My own experience is that no car brand can truly claim to have bullet proof reliability and build quality.
I've owned 9 Italian cars, 3 British, 2 Czech and one German from 1985 models through to 2014. The Best car I had for reliability so far was a 2010 Fiat Punto, the worst was a 1990 Metro (non rover) but to be fair it cost me £300 so I don't believe it owed me.
A 2006 Fabia I owned had to have it's entire front end suspension replaced at 3 months old !!! I got shut of it not long after for a Bravo.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Must admit as much as I want Alfa to be successful I don't want everyone to own them . So can't have it both ways .

·
Registered
35,768 Posts
I don't get any ribbing at work and most people have a kind of respect for my choice as they would have if they'd got the same courage to do the same!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've also heard of at least 2 BMW owners that had serious failures with theirs, both have moved on to other marques.

The 3 BMWs I owned were fine, only getting through consumables mainly.

Alfas in general are no worse than most other European brands, fact

1 - 14 of 14 Posts