Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I want to add a carry-handle to my 156 - does anyone know if it will count as a mod and inflate my insurance?

It would be a standard Alfa spolier that could have been fitted when she left the factory....

Aggy :)

·
0 Posts
You should probably tell them, may make no difference to cost of insurance though - mebee phone them (anon) & say you are thinking adding one :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Different Insurance companies view this differentely so you need to check with them, BUT!

As it is not a mod that will effect the performance of the car you should be ok as long as you let them now.

Even though it would be a standard Alfa spoiler it will be a deviation from the original specification of the vehicle, which means if you do'nt let them now and you need to make a claim, unfortunately for you this will be there get out clause.:(

Hope this helps:)

My brother works for a major car insurance company, so you can take this on good authority.

·
Registered
38,276 Posts
I didn't tell the insurance company on my first 156, as it was fitted when the car was new...

Also does anyone tell the insurance company if the car is a sportpack or lusso? The last 156 I insured only showed up on their database as a 156 saloon 2.0, and they didn't list others.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
its a bit of a grey area.. some spoilers (dont know if the alfa ones fall into this category) were dealer fit rather than factory options - therefore there will be nothing to say when the spoiler was added, and no change in the 'factory' spec of the car - these items should not change the insurance, they fall into the same bracket as mud flaps, striping / decals, and floor mats.

def. check though, better to be safe than sorry.

D

·
0 Posts
If your car is a sport pack then technically it could have left the factory with the spoiler, so I wouldn't worry about it.

A

·
0 Posts
You must clear it with the insurance co.

They are also getting very snotty about factory fit options as deviations from the standard car, so if you buy a car that has lots of factory options, new car or secondhand (and you may not be able to tell if its s/h:rolleyes: ) Then you have to tell them or risk being excluded from any cover.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
if you loook on the Admiral site there is a page that covers all the options they need to know about, the list is interesting, included chilli packs for Minis, interior mods, suspension, drops, factory mods and aftermarket mods in two levels of drop IIRC. Its quite a list, even covers colour change.

So yes, tell 'em.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You'll laugh at this: Last week CIS refused to insure my wife's new car because it has been modified!

It's a Peugeot 307 with orig 307 spoiler and 15" Pug alloys fitted by previous owner = uninsurable. :eek:
Went to adrian flux who gave us a great deal despite her crazy mods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts