Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, If you were on the M6 near J16 southbound on friday evening I hope you weren't delayed too much.
My wifes Mini convertible was involved in an accident. Hit from behind by an HGV and spun across into the fast lane and hit by another car.
Considering the state of the car, I'll try and get pics up when I can, she walked away with just stiffness and whiplash. The car will probably be written off but thankfully, all drivers walked away without a serious injury.
She's well shaken up but is convinced that if she'd been in another car she might have been worse off. So much so that she made me take her to the dealer to look around new ones.
The police said the car did it's job. When I saw the car I could see where the force of the impacts had ripped off wheel/suspension at the rear, destroyed the bulk of anything that could come off, and left virtually every panel bent.
All in all, the Mini is a strong little car.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Aren't all new cars pretty much strong...There all designed with crumple zones and airbags to take the impact so you walk away instead of not.

I'd much rather have a car that falls apart but allows me to walk away than the older stiffer cars that didn't.

Glad all is well, and the delay wasn't too bad, didn't expect an apology.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Glad your wife is OK:cool:

On the upside, she can get a MiTo now (or ToTo as they are soon to be called;)) which is even tougher NCAP wise:thumbs:

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,721 Posts
Glad your wife is OK:cool:

On the upside, she can get a MiTo now (or ToTo as they are soon to be called;))/QUOTE]

:lol:

Glad top hear that your missus is OK, Alfamack, and well done to the MINI for being as tough as old boots in what sounds like a pretty nasty crash. It's really good that safety is down to bodies like NCAP fighting to bring some uniform levels of crash protection to consumers, which has resulted in most cars offering a decent level of occupant protection.

Whatever your wife buys next, i hope she's able to put the crunch behind her and enjoy her new wheels :thumbs:

·
Registered
Brera 2.0 JTDm
1,343 Posts
OUCH!!!! sounds nasty and scary, HGV's behind me always make me fear!

sounds like the car did her well, much better than my mates Mini that burst into flames while he was taking a nap in a lay-by and trashed his legs with 3rd degree burns!

Hope she is OK and gets sorted with insurance and a new set of wheel, at the end of the day a car can always be replaced

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments, got some pics in the daylight and will start a thread when I can get them off the phone. Looks like she wants another mini as she knows how tough they are and the newer ones are allegedly even tougher. I did try the Alfa argument but that didn't wash, maybe I should have waited until the tablets had taken effect!
Financially no worse off, emotionally she's a wreck so need to get her driving and more importantly onto a motorway otherwise her commutting just went up by at least 50%!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Im gad she ok, ive seen people die in crashes..................so give her a hug from me!................I saw a girl die in a old style corsa, and i just thought if this has been a newer car she might have been alive..................that 8k on the new car for your wife you cant afford..........................buy it

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The good news is, we've had a letter from the Police saying they are holding the HGV driver responsible but are not charging him with anything at this time.
The bad news is, she still wants a mini, but we've come to an agreement which means she's driving my company focus when she has to go on the Motorway, which she did for the first time since the accident, and when I replace the company car she can have a Mini on the company scheme.
I in the meanwhile, have had to get a Freelander which I was hoping to get later on in the year but the accident has brought it forward.
AN ALFA WAS NOT ALLOWED ON THE GROUNDS THAT I WANTED ONE!

(Yes she wears the trousers)

·
Registered
Brera 2.0 JTDm
1,343 Posts
glad the HGV is getting the blame should make things easier just a shame he aint getting done for what sounds like a very scary accident

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update. Had a letter from insurance saying third party have accepted liability. They paid out market value and GAP insurance took up to invoice price so all well. She still wants a Mini but got a Freelander until I change my car in 3 months time so I've got 3 months to tempt her to the dark side!!!
She's only just driven by the scene this week and said she was very nervous but thankfully it was quiet.
Amazingly the insurance company have let a firm of solicitors to contact us regarding 3rd party claims for injury etc, the letter from solicitors said that the Law Firm pay Insurance Company a fixed fee to be advised of accidents and then offer their services:wow:. Wife doesn't want to which is admirable but I could do with a holiday:lol:. Thanks for your good wishes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts