Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very pleased to say that all I had to do was replace a brake light bulb, and my wife's 125k miles car sailed through the test. Had an advisory last year on the back box, which we never had sorted, but it wasn't given as an advisory today.

Now for a good service, but I wish I could understand the service history book. The cam-belt change on these is 36k I believe, so it should have been done at around 108k. The book has all it's stamps, but where would I find confirmation of the belt change please?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the above, but I'm thinking of having the belt changed anyway as a precaution. Typically how much would you expect to pay an Alfa indy for this work please?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If you don't have the original garage invoices to go with the service book, you would need to contact the garages noted on the stamps to see if the timing gear has been changed.

On the 1.8TS, you need to see changed every 36,000 miles/3 years:
4) Balance belt.
5) Balance belt tensioner.

It's also good to see the variator and waterpump changed which should be done at every second belt change, together with the alternator belt, tensioner, and fixed idler.
Sorry but the 1.8 doesn't have counter balance shafts(therfore no balance belt or tensioner)

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
This is why the book is of limited use without the supporting invoices and paperwork for work done and, just as important, work that needs doing. Contact the dealer and they'll more than likely say that they did everything that each service required, whether they did or not.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Costwise the parts - belt and fixed and adjustable tensioners will cost you £140 from a dealer, or various lesser prices if you shop around.....Fitting is anywhere from 2 hours if the mech is superfast upto about 4 hours, times whatever hourly rate you are charged. So, probably from £250 upwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts