Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mrs is busting my balls.

She keeps on hearing the term torque when I watch (and she is forced) to watch Top Gear and several months ago she asked me whats torque. I said 'you wouldn't understand dear'.

Last night she asked me again and said I never answer her questions and said I treat her like she's thick. So I endeavoured to explain, she said by the sound of it I didn't know what I was talking about, in other words she didn't understand. Now my eleven year old son wants to know what torque is.

Is there an easy way, a way to make a child and a woman understand torque? I'm struggling to articulate it in a way that makes sense to them, even after Wikipedia-ing it and trying to simplify and paraphrase.

Help!

V

·
0 Posts
if you were trying to undo a nut bhp would be the size of you muscle and torque would be the length of your spanner

P

·
0 Posts
It's the amount of force you can lay down, usually at low revs.

Said the girl :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
It's very simple actually -

There has to be at least one member of the opposing team, plus the goal keeper between the attacker and the goal line at the moment the ball is pla.....

Oh sorry. Wrong thread.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you were trying to undo a nut bhp would be the size of you muscle and torque would be the length of your spanner
That's funny, it's like saying BHP is the size of your balls and Torque is the length of your shaft, still makes no sense!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's very simple actually -

There has to be at least one member of the opposing team, plus the goal keeper between the attacker and the goal line at the moment the ball is pla.....

Oh sorry. Wrong thread.
No, no ,no, don't complicate things further............................

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
BHP is what sells cars
Torque is what wins races

please excuse me mr Shelby for the plagerisation :eek:

in simple terms the torque is the abillity of the engine to deliver meaningfull power

the bhp is a function of torque and Rpm

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts