Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals I need to pick you brains on this one.

I left home and drove @ 15 miles to drop my jack russell of at Butlins (my parents) and the car was fine. I had been there for @ 15 mins and when I came out to start the car it turned over fine but there was no sign of it firing at all, not even a cough !. I left the car for another 15 mins while I pointed my finger at the dog and interrogated him as to what the hell he had done to my car but he's a pro and remained stum. When I tried the car again it was the same, still turning over but no sign of it firing. I had the bonnet up and looked around for any possible sign of any wires which had come loose but all seemed fine. At this point I called the recovery service to see if they could get me going as I was due to travel up to Ellesmere Port to visit the outlaws !. After a further 30 mins I went back to the car again turned the key and hey presto it fired straight away and started !, but then for the next minute the idle speed was up and down more than a hoe's draws :mad: . The idle speed eventually settled and all seemed normal except the main airbag light was now on !!.....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ALL ABOUT !

After having a quick nose round the forums before my trip I saw a few possible faults it could be

1. The wiring under the seat.....I checked the wiring and all seemed ok and the seat had not been moved anyway.

2. Duff battery......The battery seemed fine, all the time it was turning the engine over it didn't struggle at all.

So anyway gang your suggestions please as to the initial breakdown and the airbag light.....over to you, I'm off to kick something......

R

·
0 Posts
Air bag light may be a coincidence (or may be caused by drain on the battery trying to start it unsuccessfully), but sounds like the starting thing could be either immobiliser, or cam sensor. Was the code light on when you tried starting it?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope the code light had gone off.

Went to the car this morning to go to work and started as normal....except the airbag light is still on, but I guess thats a trip to my local Alfa peeps to reset it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Re your airbag, although I know when the light is on, the airbag is off, I have found on the odd occassions over the last year when it has happened to me(usually after letting someone into the back of the car when engine is on-3 door), the light will go out after stopping and restarting or after 30 odd minutes.....it may be worth waiting to see if it does self cure?
Obviously would not condone you using your car for any length of time sans airbag!;)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Lovelyred147 said:
Re your airbag, although I know when the light is on, the airbag is off, I have found on the odd occassions over the last year when it has happened to me(usually after letting someone into the back of the car when engine is on-3 door), the light will go out after stopping and restarting or after 30 odd minutes.....it may be worth waiting to see if it does self cure?
Obviously would not condone you using your car for any length of time sans airbag!;)
As I mentioned earlier on another airbag thread, some warning lights are set to stay on for a while when a fault clears. Supposed to make the fault less easy to overlook. I have noticed it particularly with engine ECU/emssion lights.
As for the non-starting: absolutely no idea, sorry, sounds like a swift reading of the engine error-codes is needed.
If you need J-R advice, however, my wife has plenty!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update.....

And the winner is.......bigredshaza

OK so nothing is ever simple for me and today was no different.

I ring my local Alfa peeps and they said pop round and we will plug in the diagnostics machine and see what faults are showing. Great thinks I its going to be sorted.

I finish work at 4.30 and drive to Oxford they connect up the machine and clear the airbag fault.

1 down 1 to go yipee :)

They then trace the starting fault to the crank sensor and with it only being @ a £20 quid part I'm thinking I have had a result.

I make arrangements to go back in on Saturday for them to fit it and life is sweet again :), right up to the part where I get back in the car to drive home and it won't start again :rant:

Anyway its going to be fixed tomorrow now so by tomorrow night all should be ok again.

To be continued.........

Seriously though thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Good news, well done Bigred,
It could of course be the connection to the cranks sensor, which might be even cheaper/easier to fix?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I am having a similar problem , car fails to start occasionally and has come to a grinding halt at the road side twice only to restart 10 to 15 mins later.After restart the orange engine warning light comes on, but either goes off during the journey or clears the next time i restart ? Are the fault codes still held even if the engine light has reset itself. Has the crank sensor cured the problem ???

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New crank sensor fitted....problem solved.

The guys who work on my car say it will normally only play up when the engine has warmed up and you stop and go back to the car a short time after. If it is starting from cold they reckon it would start.

Unfortunatly the crank sensor is one of only a handful of sensors that will actually prevent the car from running.

All this grief for a poxy magnet floating about in oil !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi ,I have come to the same conclusion. I spoke to Jamie at the Alfa workshop, and good old boy that he seems to be more or less confirmed it from the symptoms described.So picking new sensor up Friday, so next ask is any info or piccies on a cranksensor swap ??? I gather its a bugger to get to and impossible to see up the back of the block, but anyone who has done one or a few !!! with any helpfull tips will be much appreciated.
By the way another nugget i picked up that may or may not be widely known, if your car is cutting out and you are thinking immobiliser ? apparently the systems are seperate, so once you have keyed on and the code light goes out the immobilser is completely in active and wont cause the car to cut out :)

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only advice I had from them is its best tackled from below as its nigh on impossible to do from above

·
Registered
4 Posts
Changed it last night, from what i could see its impossible from below, subframe and exhaust in the way, so i went in from the top as follows,

Inlet ducting off
Battery out
Throttle body off.

This gives you room to move and see the starter motor, undo the two top bolts of the starter, there is one underneath that you have to do by feel but its not to bad, one thing that did help was a angle (bent) 13 mm spanner that allows you to get at the bolts easier.Once the bolts are out you can push the starter back enough to clear the nose, dont worry about disconnecting the wires as there is enough slack, drop the starter down and crank sensor is right in front of you..EASY.....Also a good time to wash out your throttle body, MAF and even stick in a new Air filter if you have any cash left LOL......

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So is yours also ok now ?

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
Sorry to ressurect this old thread but I am having similar problems on my 145 TS. Did you guys get it sorted?

Simon.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Typical rpm/crank sensor are as follows.

Car will die when engine is hot and won't restart. If you leave it for 30 mins or so until the engine cools down then it will restart again. Usually when the engine gets back up to temperature then the engine will die again.

If these are your symptoms then change the sensor (or take it to the cheapest indie to get it done).

If the engine won't restart when it's cold then this could indicate a snapped timing belt which is much more serious.

W

·
0 Posts
New crank sensor fitted....problem solved.

The guys who work on my car say it will normally only play up when the engine has warmed up and you stop and go back to the car a short time after. If it is starting from cold they reckon it would start.

Unfortunatly the crank sensor is one of only a handful of sensors that will actually prevent the car from running.

All this grief for a poxy magnet floating about in oil !
This is becoming a regular problem from recent posts, wonder what the lifespan of the sensor is?

wrinx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts