Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I seem to have a strange noise when I start my car. When the engine is cold it seems to have a strange ticking noise when I accelerate. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this before.

Also is there an easy point to top up the gear box oil on a V6?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
not sure what your noise is, but I have a really weird squeal / scrape noise which I am hoping is just the clutch bearing!

Yours may be the injectors? have heard on some cars they can be noisy on start up or generally noisy.

Sorry not much help!
Gareth

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a noise like that. Get your auxiliary belt tensioners checked. If that goes it could drop into the timing belt! At least thats what the fella who serviced mine said. If anyone else knows different please correct me.

Craig.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yikes! thats actually put me off driving it to Nottingham tomorrow! a good excuse to save some money by using the diesel at least.

Will have to have a look at that over the weekend.

Cheers

R

·
0 Posts
I seem to have a strange noise when I start my car. When the engine is cold it seems to have a strange ticking noise when I accelerate. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this before.

Also is there an easy point to top up the gear box oil on a V6?
Could just be a hydraulic tappet being a bit slow to fill up. If so, you should hear it under all conditions when first started - at idle as well as accelerating. The noise will be more likely if you have left the engine without starting for a while. If it is a tappet there is no great concern. If not a tappet then a bit more worrying.

There is not an easy point to top up the gearbox, but there is a dipstick on the top of the casing that can be used.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had one exhaust gasket (engine to exhaust manifold) that failed a tiny bit, cylinder no.6, the little exhaust blow-by sounded like a valve-tick. Went away once the engine warmed up, could be similar to wht you hear.

Maybe you can track/check that by using a bit of paper and holding that next to the exhaust manifold from block to manifold -if the paper moves, that's a leak :D

Cheers

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have just had my exhaust replaced so I guess that might explain the sound you discribed. I will have to take it down the garage and get it checked.

Thanks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
not sure what your noise is, but I have a really weird squeal / scrape noise which I am hoping is just the clutch bearing!

Yours may be the injectors? have heard on some cars they can be noisy on start up or generally noisy.

Sorry not much help!
Gareth
Check the gearbox drive shaft, there is an integral bracket that buts up against the engine, that shears of, and lodges against the remainder of the braket. This rubs against the shaft, causing a horrendous squeal.... You would better see it with the car on a ramp.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Check the gearbox drive shaft, there is an integral bracket that buts up against the engine, that shears of, and lodges against the remainder of the braket. This rubs against the shaft, causing a horrendous squeal.... You would better see it with the car on a ramp.

WOuldnt this make the noise all the time? It only happens on start up, thinking it maybe the air con pump or something similar at the moment. Air con doesnt seem to work too brilliantly, thats a job for the summer thought!

Regards
Gareth

·
Registered
20 Posts
i know it sounds stupid but have u checked ur oil level if its a little low it wont fill up the hydraulic tappets.just a thought

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just been serviced mate so it is not low. I am not really sure. I have a bit of work to do on her this weekend. I will investigate a little more then. I was thinking it could be one of the coil packs shorting out a bit, but there is no loss of power at all.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just been serviced mate so it is not low. I am not really sure. I have a bit of work to do on her this weekend. I will investigate a little more then. I was thinking it could be one of the coil packs shorting out a bit, but there is no loss of power at all.
Is there a verdict on this? I have a similar sound on my 2.5v6. It disappears when engine slightly warms up. Cambelt done 10,000 km ago and service 1000km ago. so oil etc should be ok.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Is there a verdict on this? I have a similar sound on my 2.5v6. It disappears when engine slightly warms up. Cambelt done 10,000 km ago and service 1000km ago. so oil etc should be ok.

Cheers
You should be checking your oil levels more frequently. The engines are known to drink oil like it's going out of fashion, so a quick check once a week keeps you happy and safe :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spoke to a mechanic he thinks its a lazy tappet. Hydrolic lifters. Not sure I spelt that right but I think you get the idea. He told me its the whole head off and a lot of work. If anyone knows of a short term cure I would love to hear it!!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I spoke to a mechanic he thinks its a lazy tappet. Hydrolic lifters. Not sure I spelt that right but I think you get the idea. He told me its the whole head off and a lot of work. If anyone knows of a short term cure I would love to hear it!!!!
Someone suggested I run an engine flush to clear all the gung out and it might release the lazy tappets. I was warned it might also make it noisier. So I will try a flush on the next oil change then i'll look at the more expensive option.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Update,
Mine turned out to be the cambelt tensioner. Fixed under warranty by the stealer. The wierd thing is, the cambelt was done around 10k km ago (6k miles) so I suggest you check yours out.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I reckon he replaced just the belts then!? i would check everything else in there to see how much work the guy actually carried out!? or it may just be a faulty variator?

kARMA.

J

·
0 Posts
sorry to jump the thread but is your noise like the starter moor carrying on for a second after the engine has started?i have this and dont know what it is!! i guess it could be just that as she runs beautifully!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts