Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car makes a strange humming noise from the front when I'm braking and I can feel some slight vibration, the noise and vibration continue for a short time after I've come off the brakes.
My local mechanic had a quick look just after I bought it but he said the front disks and pads looked ok, but the rear ones were shot and he repaced the lot.
Any ideas?

J

·
0 Posts
i'm guessing he just replaced the back set of brakes as the fronts looked ok.

The front disks may look fine but they/one could be slightly warped.

If you've developed a slightly sticky caliper that would cause excessive heat and possibly warp a disk. this kinda makes sense if you're getting the vibration for a wee bit after you've come off the brakes... ya know... taking a while for the caliper to unstick itself.

just throwing an idea in the ring :D

rgrds

j

A

·
0 Posts
I had this problem with my bike, however after a session at the Nurburgring and some very heavy braking it stopped. The stoptech thing seems to make sense.

B

·
0 Posts
Sorry Jason - I'm not saying I know what I'm talking about coz I don't :rolleyes:

I just remembered reading this article a while back when a friend had similar problems on a Pug 306 and thought it might help :D

C

·
0 Posts
I had a similar problem with my rear brakes. When applied from about 60 mph they made no sound but as the car slowed down the humming started from about 15mph to zero and then would be there as I pulled away for a second or two.

The calipers had seized on the sliders. eek!

When the garage looked at them they literally feel apart in their hands and couldn't be put back together again. New Calipers pads and discs on both sides and the car was of the road for 4 days waiting for the parts. :mad:

Ian.

A

·
0 Posts
It might be worth you're while taking the car down you local stretch of back road and give it some heavy braking into a few corners from speed. When I say heavy braking, I mean to the point just before it locks up. You also need a good bit of speed up. If you've done it right you should smell all the **** burning off. Smells a bit like a burning clutch. If that dosen't work then looks like new brakes!
Colin. :D

W

·
0 Posts
Interesting article. Seems to make sense and confirms what we have said on here about the brake warning light. Do not top it up or you'll not know when the pads have really gone!!

wrinx

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mmm, I've previously tried the hard braking business but that didn't seem to make much difference.
I've got a nasty suspicion it may well be a sticky calliper. I'll get the brakes looked at properly after the expense of the MOT, due early January, if they don't need doing to pass that of course.

J

·
0 Posts
let me tell you warped discs are common i dont know who wrote the artical but its rubbish.!!! ive even had a brandnew disc that was 1mm out of true it was a shocking drive when i first took it for a road test.!!why do you think all new discs come with instuctions that say to check the disc runout.!! change you front discs and pads and if it doesnt work i'll eat my hat...............and yours.!!!!!!!!!! anyway depends what you mean buy warped.?? in one of the piccys that show hot spots on the discs i would call that warped,if its not flat and true its warped.!!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
most definately agree with jb that you can get warped disks there is procedures for checking them with wheel off spinning disk and a depth test indicater on a small stand to check for trueness i did not even look at the link because i know its arse!
sorry . are you sure you dont have blockage in b/pipe (flexi) that caused mine to apply brakes every now and then and not release pressure being most aware of it at slower speeds .

B

·
0 Posts
I must apologise for posting link to a dubious article

i dont know who wrote the artical but its rubbish.!!!
The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System

By Carroll Smith

OK, it was written by a woman. We must draw our own conclusions wink She led me astray!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts