Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Couldn't find a thread on this so here goes..

Which size wheel spacers could I get away with fitting behind my 17 inch Teledials without any arch scraping? My GTV has standard suspension and 225/45/17 tyres, however, may upgrade to koni's and springs in the future. I was thinking 5mm but 10mm would look better imo but not sure if they'd fit. The rear looks like it could be spaced out 5mm more than the front.

Cheers,
Rhys

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Won't you struggle with vibrations on the wheels due to it not centering properly with spacers, especially on OEM wheels?
I have experienced this to be a major problem on Audi's and Seat's.

We have a 6mm spacer at the front on my brothers 916 3.0 with 18" Ace wheels and and clears nicely.
He had to fit spacers in order for the rim to clear the brake caliper.
There is a slight vibration, but I suspect it to be wheel balancing.

I have a 10mm spacer at the back on my 916 2.0 with 17" Alfa wheels and it actually fits quite nicely.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi DNA, a friend of mine had wheel spacers on his fiesta, his wheels were balanced prior to this and with 5mm spacers there was no imbalance. As long as they are aligned correctly when installing them they shouldn't cause an imbalance and weight at the hub will have much less of an affect compared to weight on the outside of the wheel. Obviously the larger the weight, the more of an effect it will have if there is an imbalance but I'm not going crazy with them.

Do you have any pictures of your brother's 916 with the spacers fitted?

Any pictures from other members will be much appreciated also :D

I may go for these I've found on ebay..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5MM-ALLOY-WHEEL-SPACERS-ALFA-ROMEO-145-146-147-/200660066429

·
Banned
530 Posts
If your going for wheel spacer's,then don't scrimp on them,go for alloy one's and hubscentric,you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok cool. What are the benefits then, as some appear to be 10x to 20x the price? I am waiting for feedback from the forum regarding which size i should go for before ordering as I don't want the tyres catching the arches, which was the case with some of my previous cars :lol:

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think there was something odd like a 7mm factory made spacer for the 17” tele’s but some one better in the know will probably be able to help.

A note though don’t use any more than a 5mm non hub centric spacer as larger than that and you will not have enough lip to safely mount the wheel on. Would also say you will probably end up going for a 10mm hubcentric up front and 15mm on the back, the reason for the back requiring bigger is that a 10mm has clearance issues with the hub center.

Eibach and FK both make hubcentric spacers for alfa’s as I think H&R do now
eibach have several different types available depending on width and user preference "bolt through or to" this may add to the confusion.

I am currently running 10mm on the front and 15 on the back both sets made by eibach and there are no issues at all, if someone is reporting vibrations due to spacers then they have ether used non-hubcentrics so not enough or no lip and the wheel is just ratterling around or they have not installed them properly!

Remember when using spacers you may also need longer bolts to go with them “these normally don’t come with the spacers”

James

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Deffo going for hubcentric spacers now James, I can see what you mean about the center lip for the wheel to sit, not being there after 5mm of so; the stress will be just on the bolts which can't be good. I've found a few on ebay once again, however, the center hub ring does not seem flat but tapered, is this ok? Any links to where you guys have bought yours from?

Will spacers for a 145/146/147/155/156/164/166/33/75 fit the GTV or are the inside and outside hub diameters different?

Link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-155-BIMECC-HUBCENTRIC-WHEEL-SPACER-KIT-20MM-/300505707434?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item45f78933aa#ht_3325wt_1185

Rhys

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your brother's 916 with the spacers fitted?

Any pictures from other members will be much appreciated also :D
I'll try and see if I can get some pics out of him.
Currently only the front is spaced, he will do the rear soon aswell.
He doesn't want to post pics on AlfaOwners yet as he wants to surprise some of our AO friends by just pitching up with the car without them knowing anything.
But guess most guys on the South African side don't really read this side of the forum.

If your going for wheel spacer's,then don't scrimp on them,go for alloy one's and hubscentric,you shouldn't have a problem.
What do you guys mean by 'hubscentric'?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Here we go.
This is with a 6mm spacer at the front on what I suspect to be a 8,5J 18" rim.
I'll try and see what size the rims is next time I remove them.
Front tyres are 225/35/18 rears are 225/40/18.
Want to go 145/40/18 at the back, think tat will look really good but wonders how it will effect the handling of the car.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd277/niwou/Alfa/IMG-20111228-00372.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts