Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned this on the "Giulia first drives" thread in the Giulia forum, but maybe it'd be interesting to discuss it here.

There is an enormous amount of sheer, unabated and unjustified hatred towards Alfa Romeo going around; It seems that for every Alfista or even person just neutral about the brand, there are 2 haters. It's always been there - mention the brand in any generalistic motoring discussion venue, and there'll be people spitting out venom for the pure sake of it.

It has of course become more evident now that AR is in the news - go check any of the reviews on any website, and see how negative the comments sections are.

You don't see much of this towards any of the competing brands; Mention Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo and the likes and there'll be almost unabated universal praise -with the occasional "troll" who gets shut down quickly.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't pay attention to comments from people I don't know on any website apart from this one it's a waste of time, I wouldn't worry.
But you have to admit is a curious phenomena...very few other brands, if any, get the same bitter response from a sizeable chunk of the public; And it's not just a British thing - Ireland is obviously the same, but you see it even in Italy. I'd really like to understand where it comes from...

E

·
0 Posts
I stumbled upon a blog post on a BMW blog, that while claiming to want Alfa to do well with the giulia went on to focus on a review where the reviewer had issues with the new U-connect system, all of which had been told would be fixed in software. Naturally this progressed onto claims that German manufacturers have zero (yes zero) problems when they release cars. It is laughable, and I have never managed to start a conversation with a stranger on cars where you don't get the same tired old things trotted out about rust, breakdowns and electrics.

There does however also seem to be an undertone of dislike towards the giulia from existing Alfa drivers now though.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
But you have to admit is a curious phenomena...very few other brands, if any, get the same bitter response from a sizeable chunk of the public; And it's not just a British thing - Ireland is obviously the same, but you see it even in Italy. I'd really like to understand where it comes from...
They are normally uninformed, jealous or just don't know what their talking about,

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
They are normally uninformed, jealous or just don't know what their talking about,
Granted, that is certainly a big part of it, but it is widely accepted. As EddieGTA brilliantly put, if you talk about cars with say a colleague, all is well until you mention driving an Alfa - they almost invariably start going on about rubbish. Even if they drive a 1.4 Civic, which of course is a "great car" and you can't say anything about it or you're "misinformed" :biglaugh:

There does however also seem to be an undertone of dislike towards the giulia from existing Alfa drivers now though.
That's a funny one, but I've seen it time and time again, every time a new Alfa Romeo comes out, especially a saloon with its iconic weight for the brand.

With the 155, it was too much like a "Tempra"; The 156 was pretty but still FWD, it's rubbish, yadda yadda. Both cars proved to be absolute belters when it comes to handling and performance, and the noise subsided.

The 159 was probably the biggest one yet - "it's just a rebodied Opel!" and again "rubbish, it's FWD" and the paper thin accusations about weight.

Now the Giulia - there's really nothing to complain about on the mechanical side, so they go on to criticize the looks, and how it's "not a real Alfa". Like the 159. Like the 156. Like the 155. And believe it or not, similar criticism was apparently leveled at the 75, back in 1985 (at least according to my dad :D ).

On the other hand, you have the German brand fanatics who revere anything coming out of Bavaria and whereabouts - you hear BMW fans blabbering about the 156 and 159 looking "dated", and how ancient looking stuff such as an E39 or E46 has "timeless looks". They did hate a bit on the FWD 2-series, though :D !

E

·
0 Posts
It's interesting you mention Toyota. One thing that puzzles me is how Fiat/Alfa/Lancia cannot shake the past rust issue, yet Toyota in the early 80's were as bad if not worst. Anyone remember the Tercel?

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
All depends on how much a manufacturer is willing to spend on marketing a schmoozing
petulant British journalists, I guess.

And/or also invest in UK manufacturing?

In the end it's all part of the general anti-European sentiment that is easily stirred up.

"Bloody Italians, they can't make anything for ****. "
"It's got 4 reverse gears."

All of them forgetting how diabolically **** actual UK owned car manufacturing was less than 40 years ago.

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
The vast majority of haters have never owed one and/or have little interest in cars.

I also blame Jeremy Clarkson for constantly saying that they always break down.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So what? They're perfectly entitled to like and dislike any car for any number of reasons, it happens with many brands. When you actually look, there's alot pettiness. Also when it's your own favoured brand, you're going to notice it more, and feel it more. That's natural.

If they're BMW fans, of course there's a more chance of criticism for other brands, and bias towards their own. It's just the way it is. I mean, aren't people here showing their bias for Alfa? Isn't that always going to be the case?

I'm one of those who dislike the Giulia's looks. I'm not going have it dismissed as an opinion simply because it's not what another persons wants to hear. That's also visa versa.

In the grand scheme things it doesn't matter one iota. If the car is good, marketing is done well, the dealership and deals are good, it'll ultimately increase sales and be a success. If you solidify a positive rep, then you'll secure sales for a number of years if not decades, to the extent you can have bad years and still come up smelling of flowers. If they're not, it'll be same old, same old for Alfa.

Overall, don't worry about it. It's the internet. What's a name on a screen actually going to do? ::paranoid:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've honestly never come across the sort of hate described here, and I bought my first ( rusty , electrical gremlined, but fantastic to drive Alfa) in 1980. There are a minority who latch onto uninformed journalism , and some who have a prejudice against cars from certain countries , but the vast majority of people are pretty neutral - ie they either are not interested in cars - period , or if they are enthusiasts for any make do tend to be fairly tolerant. And some even become interested in Alfas if you start talking facts rather than the bull in magazines. I don't just hang around with Alfisti either - my mates and colleagues drive all sorts of stuff and seem to be quite happy to talk aboiut their sh1tty Scooby interiors , rusting 5 year old nissans and swirl flap dropping BMWs. But then they are informed car people. Also I think many Alfa owners are very defensive and apologist for their cars and over - react when people make jokes? it might be irritating but ffs - grow up. So my combined advice is 1. accept that most journos are pretty ill informed and just feed off each other so ignore them. 2. stop apologising for driving a car with similar faults to any other mass produced car, and just enjoy the additional buzz Alfas give you, and 3.accept that some of the criticism is in fact jealous probing where the inquirer just hopes that any car so good looking must be a let down in some department . Chill out , strap a pair on and relax. (Mild) rant over - bring on the flame guns. :jester: :biglaugh::thumbup:

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
Look at the crap Vauxhall have made in the last 30 years. Apart from a few exceptions they have been boring to look at, boring to drive and not especially reliable.

But Vauxhall is still one of the top 3 best selling brands.

I do think that Alfa do get unfairly bashed by others.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Look at the crap Vauxhall have made in the last 30 years. Apart from a few exceptions they have been boring to look at, boring to drive and not especially reliable.

But Vauxhall is still one of the top 3 best selling brands.

I do think that Alfa do get unfairly bashed by others.
People do seem to have longer memories where Alfa's shortcomings are concerned, where as the German's are forgiven any number of problems from swirl flaps and stretched timing chains on the BMW's to some awful cases of rust on the late 90's early noughties Mercs.

I put it down to people having a lack of imagination when it comes to choosing their car and then in order to justify their boring and predictable choice they imbue the prettier better handling rivals with negative character traits they simply do not have...

my own family question my choice of car , and when my cousin asked how much my Alfa was, and I told him, his reply was ''you could have had a Golf for that'' I replied , If you ever see me driving a golf feel free to take a brick and finish me off as I would clearly have lost my ability to enjoy the beautiful things life has to offer like , brioche instead of bread, a fresh espresso instead of Nescafe, and an Alfa instead of a boring mind numbing dispassionate piece of German nothingness.

most of the haters are secretly annoyed with themselves because they don't have the ball's or individuality to take a different path and it comes out by criticising the very thing they would secretly love to have.

much like a school boy who calls the girl he fancies names..

I personally like the new Giulia because once again Alfa are doing what they have always done, offer those of us who don't want an Audi,Merc,BMW et al another viable choice..:thumbup:

·
Registered
15,828 Posts
Alfas do get a lot of unfair stick but lots of cars get similar treatment by the "it's not what I've got so it must be ****" brigade. This site isn't completely immune to it either. The only forum where it doesn't happen is retro rides where the basic principles are that everything has potential and if you've got nothing nice to say......

Personally I just like cars. I doubt that there's a single car maker that hasn't made something I find vaguely interesting. Other people may not like the choices I make but I almost certainly won't like theirs either.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts