Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know whether it would be possible to fit wider tyres to my existing 18" wheels?

The tyres are currently 225/40/18. It looks as if the arches could accommodate slightly wider tyres and I'd thought about moving up to 235s?

Thanks

·
Registered
39,438 Posts
You need to check the rolling radius is the same. You may need to reduce the profile to a 35 instead of a 40. I think there are clearances to allow snow chains on 17s maximum.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to check the rolling radius is the same. You may need to reduce the profile to a 35 instead of a 40. I think there are clearances to allow snow chains on 17s maximum.
Thank you

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wouldn't the profile of the tyre need to be the same?
He's got 225/40/18's so to go wider without affecting the radius he'd need 235/40/18's surely?
I wondered the same for mine when it comes to renewal.
:)

·
Registered
39,438 Posts
The sidewall height of a 225/40 is 40% of 225 mm.
If the width increases to 235 the percentage must reduce to maintain the sidewall height perhaps to 35%
There are charts that show the rolling radius of different tyres with widths and aspect ratios.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The sidewall height of a 225/40 is 40% of 225 mm.
If the width increases to 235 the percentage must reduce to maintain the sidewall height perhaps to 35%
There are charts that show the rolling radius of different tyres with widths and aspect ratios.
I was not aware of that.
:)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone know whether it would be possible to fit wider tyres to my existing 18" wheels?

The tyres are currently 225/40/18. It looks as if the arches could accommodate slightly wider tyres and I'd thought about moving up to 235s?

Thanks
I'd lower the car rather than put the wrong tyres on.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts