Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone share their experience selecting wider, lower tyres for the Ti rims? I am thinking about replacing the factory 235/40/R19s with 255/35/R19s. Im looking for a lower profile tyre that is more 'squared' on the Ti rims.

Diameter change is less than 1% so well within spec. I know they will fit the rear, just not sure about the wheel arch clearance at the front. Any advice or photos would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
This topic has been covered heavily in this forum diglad, the search button is your friend :)

I personally use 245/40/19 which is a more common tyre size with better options. My personal preference is the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyre which is high performance and good value.

The issue of tyre profile has been covered well in this thread so should give you the answer your looking for:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/246359-19-tyre-profile.html

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Can anyone share their experience selecting wider, lower tyres for the Ti rims? I am thinking about replacing the factory 235/40/R19s with 255/35/R19s. Im looking for a lower profile tyre that is more 'squared' on the Ti rims.

Diameter change is less than 1% so well within spec. I know they will fit the rear, just not sure about the wheel arch clearance at the front. Any advice or photos would be appreciated. Thanks.
The problem you're going to come up against when ' looks ' takes priority over handling/comfort , is that the suspension spring rates/shock spec is designed to give the best compromise. Having 40 profiles on 19's is bad enough regarding ride over less than ideal tarmac ---- also low profiles require higher pressures to keep the sidewall stiff and stay on the rim , again affecting ride THEN you move to even lower profiles so those things will show themselves even more .
Personally I wouldn't do it but then driving cars fast with good handling has always taken preferance over looks in my case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the feedback. springs are next, comfort is not a priority, 159 TBis are too soft and need more grip and a firmer ride

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
255/35 on the TI rim will likely give a softer ride than 235/40 due to the ratio of tyre width/rim width being greater

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
thanks for the feedback. springs are next, comfort is not a priority, 159 TBis are too soft and need more grip and a firmer ride
You must have more meat than me absorbing the bumps. The Ti has quite enough stiffness for me and the grip will generate more G-Force than the seats can hold. It's not just the width of the rubber it's also the rubber mix. The Pirellis have short lives because they have the grip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts