Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does my 2.0 155 Super, sound like a diesel when ticking over ?

Oil fine
everything else fine
or at least I thought so, it's been like this for over a year now. :confused:

Any ideas anyone ?

·
Registered
835 Posts
pretty typical problem, the diesel sound is caused by a worn variator on the inlet can shaft....

in the time you've had the car has the timing and balance belts been changed?

it is generally accepted these should be changed every 36k miles and if you are doing this job it is pretty straight forward to do the variator at the same time and isn't too expensive, about £65-70 for the part....

dee

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
888dee said:
pretty typical problem, the diesel sound is caused by a worn variator on the inlet can shaft....

in the time you've had the car has the timing and balance belts been changed?

it is generally accepted these should be changed every 36k miles and if you are doing this job it is pretty straight forward to do the variator at the same time and isn't too expensive, about £65-70 for the part....

dee
Thankyou Dee, was thinking of changing the timing belt anwayz

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll second the variator. Mine sounded rough (38k miles), changed the variator and belts and it's all smooth now.

It's not cheap to do though. A good few hours labour (inlet cam has to be removed). Worth it though.

Don't forget to change the belt tensioners as well.

There is a website with sound files before and after variator replacement, so you should be able to check. I think it was alfa155.co.uk - found it in the tech section.

Rob.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same problem on mine too... which i was aware of before i bought the car... getting it sorted by Peak Alfa soon, as well as alot of other things too....

I have to say i am amazed that the engine in mine has lasted this long as it has never had a cam belt done! And its upto 86000 miles now and sounds like a diesel lawn mower :eek:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
get those belts done NOW !!!!!
honestly mate, the original service was 56K but it's reccomended they are done at 36K. So yours are well overdue !!!!
You've been lucky to get 86K out the belts, but please don't push your luck with it m80 :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
marlon's right! invest on getting it done now or its a new engine that will cost ££££££:(

when i first brought my 155 at 98k there was no history on the belt or vareater been done, it sounded like a tractor! shot it straight in to the garage :eek: the old belt looked dreadful :rolleyes: i was very lucky

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine also sounds like diesel sometimes. the valves belt was replaced 30.000 km ago (19000 miles). can I replace only the variator or should I still replace variator and belt?
people tell me that when replacing the belt, we should also replace the tensioner. is that right?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replace the tensioner as well as it is often these that cause the belt to fail!

Worth replacing the belt, not good practice to re-use a timing belt.

....you also have to replace the balancer shaft belt and tensioner at some point.

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cos you have to do so much work to change any of these parts it's worth doing them all at the same time rather than changing say the variator then having to go through it all again a couple of months later to change the tensioner. And as wrinx points out it's bad practice to re-use a timing belt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts