Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mother in law has just had her car in for service/ MOT.
She only does about 2000 miles a year if that and got a " medium " service.
Last year when she had it in they charged £59 more for fully synth oil and when we questioned that because its only a Pug 307, they said aww yes you could have had just normal semi synth but you didnt tell us.
This time she asked beforehand for semi and they agreed.
Anyway she gets a call to say its past its MOT but the wheels need balancing?.
Being concerned she said to go ahead, they charged her £25.
Cant think in all my time i have had my cars serviced have they at any time took off my wheels to check the balancing?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I suppose it depends on how bad the balance is, if one (or more) of the weights have come off then they could probably feel it when driving it normally whilst taking it for the MOT

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Cant think in all my time i have had my cars serviced have they at any time took off my wheels to check the balancing?
You don't need to take wheels off to check that they are out of balance - it should be obvious just from driving it. In this instance they may have noticed it during the brake test.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys.
It seems they have checked every wheel as she got a print out.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Ok thanks guys.
It seems they have checked every wheel as she got a print out.
Well at least they actually did something (rather than just say they did it!!!)

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Up-selling.

Is the engine spec'd for semi or for fully synthetic oil by the way?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
My local Indy takes the wheels off for checking and balancing when booked in for a full service.:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
wheels need to come off.

My Mother in law has just had her car in for service/ MOT.
She only does about 2000 miles a year if that and got a " medium " service.
Last year when she had it in they charged £59 more for fully synth oil and when we questioned that because its only a Pug 307, they said aww yes you could have had just normal semi synth but you didnt tell us.
This time she asked beforehand for semi and they agreed.
Anyway she gets a call to say its past its MOT but the wheels need balancing?.
Being concerned she said to go ahead, they charged her £25.
Not to check balancing, but I take the wheels off nearly every service.

Either I can't see the pad thickness, or there's something about the look of the pads or discs that I want to check out. Some cars are prone to sticky caliper guide pins, other times there are customers going through a set of pads over the course of 1 OCI.

When I was younger, I wasn't as thorough but then you get angry customers calling because they need a pad replacement 2 months after the last service.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Yes usually you get a update of your pad wear which is handy specially for the pads behind the discs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts