Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I can tell my fan is in one pice.

There is a new pollen filter.

so I am going to point an accusing finger at the aircon (pump comperssor condencier thingy). would it be that at low speeds the belt will not deliver enough power to the pump as it would be slipping of the pump becoming stiff.(Should I give it a bit of squirt with WD40! :D)

Where is a good place to get the aircon proded by an exspert?

Cheers Stuart

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
You could try the DIY canister route I suppose for starters? Then if no joy, over to the professionals, to really check it over.:):

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I used the canister and dial contraption, each summer on the Sele' and it always registered as it should of, and worked fine. Never really needed topping up, so still got some of the stuff in the canister.:):

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
The system can just lose pressure, without really "leaking" I have had a few cars topped up, and it has worked fine from there on. I understand if the system isn't used much some seals dry out a bit, and then lose pressure when switched on (but the seals are then lubricated), thus needing topping up and not leaking...
Most handbooks recomend running at least once a month.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
What Jason said, Ours was always sorned, end of October through til' May, and I just used to run her up the drive, get her thoroughly warm, air-con on, about once a fortnight, and it still operated with no leaks, well, it made the cabin 'reet' cold anyway, both dialled down to 'LO' :):

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The DIY cannisters have been outlawed but retailers are allowed to sell "existing stock" indefinitely. When it's gone, though - it's GONE! It might well be worth stocking up before that happens!

As for the OPs troubles. No. Belt slip can't account for that. If it did, the belt would be squealing its head off.

It seems odd that you need to reach a particular speed. Do you mean there isn't any air coming out of the vents below 60 or that the air isn't cold below 60? Obviously, as far as human skin is concerned, as the air flows faster over the skin, it will "feel" colder - even if it isn't.

ASSUMING the 166 has a conventional aircon compressor (not all cars do), start the engine cold and leave it to idle. Open the bonnet. Turn the climate control to "max cold" or turn the air conditioning to "on". You should hear a "tick" under the bonnet from the end of the engine with the belts on as the aircon compressor cuts-in. If you don't, there is something wrong with the system, but clearly they are supposed to work standing still - never mind at 60!

All aircon systems will gradually loose their refrigerant - even with no actual "leaks", over a period of time. Most seem to go for 5 years or so between re-gasses. The correct procedure for regassing them is to put a vacuum pump on the system and check that it holds a vacuum for a set amount of time before the new refrigerant is added. This checks for leaks (and gets all the moisture out of the system). The place you take it to ought to refuse to re-gas it if they find a leak, until the leak is fixed, but plenty of cars have just lost their gas "naturally".

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Do you guys not use the air con on all the time! Mine just stayes on to 19oc.................or should i be using the econ mode! But that just makes it Humid!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Do you guys not use the air con on all the time! Mine just stayes on to 19oc.................or should i be using the econ mode! But that just makes it Humid!
All the time :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
caused by a lack of pressure, when the revs rise enough pressure builds up to get some cold air, but at lower revs its just not there.

I too have had my gas done at Kwik Fit and found them to be OK, mine curiously had too much gas in and worked better when half of it was took out, DIY canister by PO I suspect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts