Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure it isn't raining.

I am sitting in my garden, watching the kids playing. BBC weather says it is raining. They decided yesterday it would be thunder and lightning today. Yet the sky is cloud free and blue.

Why is the forecast sooooo far off at the moment. Have they run out of coins for the meter to power the UKs second largest supercomputer at the Met Office, or have the leeches in the weather jars given up?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe us East Anglians are due some wet stuff tonight. I always use the met office forecast, normally reasonably accurate and they say, hazy today with good temps and heavyish rain tonight. Tomorrow, back to lovely sunshine.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
They just ****ing make it up as they go along. It's wrong more than 50% of the time, so guessing would be better. I think it's all an utter waste of time and money the forecast.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The most likely reason is you're outside the M25.

Anything outside of that is usually ignore by the Beeb

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
They just ****ing make it up as they go along. It's wrong more than 50% of the time, so guessing would be better. I think it's all an utter waste of time and money the forecast.
I have to disagree. In the last 5 years or so I reckon they are right about 90% most of the time. My phone app will even tell me the likelihood of rain at any given hour of the day - and it is usually right.

When I was in my 30's - 30 years ago then, yes, 50% was about right. Are you living in the past CF?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to disagree. In the last 5 years or so I reckon they are right about 90% most of the time. My phone app will even tell me the likelihood of rain at any given hour of the day - and it is usually right.

When I was in my 30's - 30 years ago then, yes, 50% was about right. Are you living in the past CF?
+1...The met office forecast is remarkably accurate, and very often bang on to the hour.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts

+2
Look at the rainfall prediction maps and for the next 12 hours they are remarkably accurate. Like Paul I rember "old" forecasts and back in the 70's they really could not be relied on for planning anything important that was weather dependant.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Time for a test. The Met Office and BBC weather forecasts say I shall be enduring heavy rain at 9pm tonight and then again 4-6pm tomorrow. Let us see what happens.

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Time for a test. The Met Office and BBC weather forecasts say I shall be enduring heavy rain at 9pm tonight and then again 4-6pm tomorrow. Let us see what happens.
Agreed - the same here even though we have bright sunlight at time of posting - 18.23.

·
Registered
33,107 Posts
Well, we've got yellow rain warnings here in south east London and it is humid . The thunder and lightning has finished for the moment . Not like up north where , apparently , it is grim.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
well they got it right at silverstone today,it started at 6 and chucked it down all the way home,with flooded roads.
Great british weather!!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
never take much notice of the forecasting.

i just take it all as pot luck and leave it to ma' nature and the boss.

heard him moving his furniture around earlier, or was it thunder? :):

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Was just about to ost that the forecast deluge hadn't arrived.....but I've just looked outside and its raining.....

·
Registered
1,671 Posts

Telling me there is a 40% chance of rain doesn't help anyone.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts