Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question born more out of curiosity than anything. Why did you pick the MiTo over everything else out there?

I'll start off. I was in the market for a car that was newer than my 03 MG ZR but more reliable (not difficult to achieve), faster, as cheap if not cheaper to insure (ZR has fallen into boy racer category) and not overly thirsty.

The cars I looked at before the Mito were: the fiesta zetec-s, clio gt, clio RS200/197, 207 gti, Volvo C30, civic type-s and golf gt. I discounted the golf pretty quickly as any good gtis wer eout of my price range and quite alot to insure. The Gts were pretty rare and the few around were somewhat ropey so I scratched that one from the list. The clio Gt and fiesta ZS seemed to fill the same gap. The fiesta was more capable but more common and i hate the interior. The clio was fun enough, the seats were lovely (renault do seats well) but its downfall was the RS200 clio. I loved driving the RS200 that I simply would never have been happy with the GT. problem is they were at the very top end of the budget, drank fuel and cost a bomb to insure. But I was in love with it. The Honda was good but there was no spark there, struck me as a very functional car but nothing more. The dealer chap distracting me with loads of chat didnt help (almost binned it on second corner lol). The C30 was very much the sensible choice, I drove one and found it leagues apart in refinement and comfort to everything else I had driven but the one i drove was pretty tatty. So took a trip to my local dealers to see if they had a 2.0 petrol (rare as rocking horse ****). It would appear any that were available were well out of my price range so had to drop this one. However Lipscomb Volvo also have alfa there. So i strolled around and thought hmmmmm mito haven't considered that one. 1st thing alfa did right was let me test drive it on my own, only dealer to do that. I test drove the 135 and 155, both were a similar price. The 135 was nice but I preferred having 6 gears (I had no knowledge of the legendary M32 box then) and the 135 was clearly an ex smokers car. The 155 I preferred for obvious reasons too. POWAHHHHH! I came back form the test drive with a big smile. the only test drive to cause such a reaction bar the clio 200. So it was a decision between the 2 and sensibility won out as the added economy and savings far outweighed the difference in fun and speed.

In my current situation (newly single soon to be going back to rents and commuting via public transport) I'd have picked the RS clio. However things were different then and for the past year the mito 155 has been the ideal car for the circumstances. It's a great looker and has done great whilst costing me only in consumables as warranty covered gearbox. It's coped with my recent high mileage well and can manage to be fun and sporting whilst not being too lary to make long drives a nightmare as would have been the case with the clio. yep build quality is **** but then again it is on the clio too. So the mito won out by being the fun car that allowed value. It gives close to the hot hatch experience without the costs attached (insurance was only £400 this year, clio would have been £1200).

So why did you pick your Mito? Are you a raving lunatic (aka alfa fan), after the alfa experience for the first time or something else?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had my Mito for more than two years and love it to death. Just bought my missus the Skoda Fabia RS. The Fabia is twin-charged and has more kw/ torque however has one thing wrong with it. It's not an Alfa! Mito, Mito and more Mito. Don't tell anybody otherwise everybody will have one...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Because it is the pace car on WSBK's and I am bike mad. You get adverts for the MITO in between the races on the TV and so I thought if it is good enough for that then it is good enough for me..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I looked at all sorts of things. When i first started driving i went through the VW phase and bought a lupo, prior to this i had considered a Mito (it had just been launched) but reliability being a concern i thought id wait and see how they faired. I had the lupo for 18 months and really liked it although reliability was an issue (under boost the car would go into limp home mode, electric windows failing) so i swiftly sold it and looked at new cars, i looked at an Audi A1, a Mini Clubman and a Skoda Yeti (yes i have the mentality of a pensioner at times!) and the thought of paying near £20,000 for a car was pretty daunting so i bought a second hand VW 'new' Beetle, it looked a bit different but boy was it boring to drive! So last march i thought THATS IT, im going to go with may heart and buy the car i really wanted and bought a Mito, it was a damn site cheaper than all the cars id looked at previously and looked way better and none had the pedigree of the Alfa badge, i chose the Alfa because i like an underdog, it gets a lot of stick from a press that are so biased to german cars it make you feel i'll. I bought the Mito in rebellion and have not looked back, i have shared so many memories in this car and 14 months on i still stop and stare at it. Its a car/brand that makes you feel special and boy is it just me or do you notice you get a lot of envious looks off Seat drivers?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
The time had come for me to sell my 147 GTA & i didn't know what i would get next. Didn't think anything would compare to it so had no idea what i wanted to buy. Was looking at all sorts from renault megane RS (test drove 1 & really liked it, what i wanted though was far too expensive which would've been a £10k loan :eek:), mitsibushi evo 9 or 10, impreza's & then i thought why get an expensive car to run...thats why im selling my GTA :(.

Started looking at smaller fun cars & loved the 500 Abarth (drove 1 up Goodwood hill at last years FOS :cool:) but it was a bit too small for me & then i also loved the Punto Evo Abarth (drove 1 to Goodwood from a dealership in portsmouth :thumbs:). Saw the perfect car for what i wanted there (grey with the esseesse kit, white stickers, white wheels too) but it was £14k. However nice it was i was going to be getting a loan for near enough half the value of the car which i didn't want to do.

Then when i was speaking to a mate with a 500 Abarth he mentioned the MiTo as he had a 155 as a courtesy car when his GT went in for some work, he really liked it & then it twigged in my head i hadn't even thought of it :lol: so i booked a test drive in 1 just to see if i liked it & i did so then the hunt began.

Within a week i had found 1, went for a test drive in it & left a deposit on a nice Tornado Blue QV which was perfect. Anthracite wheels, mirror covers & light surrounds so i couldn't say no :lol: was only going to keep it for 6 months while i saved up some money for a bigger engined car (V6 or id love to own a V8 :D) but its coming on for a year now since i bought it & i think it will be here a while yet :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
bought my mito three and a half years ago, i'd never owned a brand new car before so i wanted to get that out of my system, the 2000 pound government scrappage scheme was just coming to an end so i jumped in to take advantage of it (still can't understand that the car to be scrapped had to have a valid mot certificate because it was going straight into the crusher!) years ago i owned a rover mini cooper in red, thought it was a great car so i test drove a bmw cooper, although it still had the go kart style handling i didn't like the interior with its dinner plate sized speedo, and everytime i saw one on the road it was either being driven by a girl or an estate agent! looked around for something similar and stumbled on the mito, its been a great car and just keeps getting better, especially as i've recently fitted 18 inch wheels and a touch screen stereo, only gripe was that i had to pay 400 quid extra for alfa red paint, that colour should be standard :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Almost a carbon copy to "pookie" ( scrappage scheme + Alfa Red + 3 and a half years old) but my wifes is a 1.6JTDm?.

Now completed 61,000 miles and recently noticed gearbox whine in 5th and 6th ( GM gearbox ) so need to get that fixed.

My wife still loves it though.

Hope it does another three and half years service. The Rover 414 achieved 159,000 miles, so some record to beat?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
almost a carbon copy of mine, scrappage + alfa red + three and a half years old, but my mito has only covered 8500 miles ! and in that time its had three services to keep the warranty intact, including a new set of spark plugs at 5000 miles !

·
Registered
52 Posts
It was the fastest car in insurance group 4 at the time (i got mine in the old 1-20 system, and 4 was the 'group limit' my dad gave me on choosing). Also, it was sexy as hell and had a decent boot. Simple stuff :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Because i had to choose between a Polo , Fiesta ,Sandero and a MiTo. So... you get where this is going.( Polo and Fiesta new and bog standard)MiTo 155TB second hand 2 years and 2 months with 1 year warranty.:))

·
Registered
58 Posts
First Alfa.

Wanted an economical and safe little 3door car. Liked the way MiTo felt, looked, and drove. Not put off by threat of italian unreliability, or very high price.

Spouse didn't like the dashboard on many of the other new cars, and liked that MiTo is a unique car (i.e. not many around, easy to find in the car park)

·
Registered
20 Posts
:inlove:
I was a Mini Cooper hopeless romantic and absolutely adored my Dooper, but started to notice they are like sh*t in a field. Had spotted the Mito on a few rare occasions and loved it, especially as they are NOT common as sh*te.

Have not regretted my decision at all except occasionally wonder if I should have chosen a different colour...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts