Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why on earth is my insurance so expensive? £443 cheapest quoted so far, even tried Swiftcover mentioned below (£453). 15,000 (very enjoyable) business/social miles per year, 2001 156, no claims ever (maybe unwise to put that in writing) or is it a women thing?!

·
Registered
111 Posts
My original quotes were around £600 odd for my 1.6 and i've got about 10 years no claims! Got it down to £450. Not sure if that helps.

·
Administrator
45,771 Posts
Driving experience, crime rate in area, insurance group of car, sex, number of miles, where it's parked overnight, modifications, convictions, claims, accidents, excess, extent of cover, age, (heard rumours about this one, might not be true) your car history (if you've jumped from a 1.0 to a 3.2 they're more likely to bang a premium up than if you went 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 3.2)

It's probably one or more of them.
I'm 28 and driving a 3.2 GTA which is group 19, and paying a similar amount to you - but I live in Congleton, which is a pretty good postcode for insurance costs.

·
AO Traders
593 Posts
Why on earth is my insurance so expensive? £443 cheapest quoted so far, even tried Swiftcover mentioned below (£453). 15,000 (very enjoyable) business/social miles per year, 2001 156, no claims ever (maybe unwise to put that in writing) or is it a women thing?!
Hiya,
Have you tried us here at adrian flux?
we aim to compete with quotes that you may already have and take lots of different factors into account and also you can get membership discounts if you are a member of the forum etc.you can do a online quote with us or call us.
Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
460 Posts
im with morethan fullycomp unlimited protected no claims bonus,legal,recovery including accomodation if needed,on my 156 2.0 at 31 years old £376,my wifes with tesco even cheaper for her!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all

Thanks for replies. Seems to be as I thought - there doesn't appear to be much logic behind what you are quoted.

I've tried you Dan, thanks, you were a bit cheaper but I've since managed to get it down a bit further.

But looking at your replies Bazza and Gooner, I'm older than you so have 10 years more no claims (have had my own insurance since I was 18 and never claimed) and for the last 15 years have driven a 2.0, although maybe a slightly lower insurance group. Nothing else looks to me as if it should increase my premium significantly (one SP30 but who has managed to avoid getting one of them!). It couldn't just be east London, could it?

BTW Gooner Tesco's were awful for me - £630.

On well, back to trawling the internet - I'll let you know Harry1 if I find anything decent

Cheers
Patsy

·
Administrator
45,771 Posts
I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that East London is the exact reason why it's so much.

Here's an idea: Try going to an internet insurance company, put in all your details as they really are, but put a different post-code and address in (I'm a bit loath to put mine onto the internet to help you, but I'm sure you must have friends elsewhere in the country whose address you know) see how much difference it makes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts