Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the process of selling my SEAT Leon Cupra R and looking for an upgrade. My shortlist considers the following alternatives:
a) Mercedes Sports Coupe 350 (272 BHP, 3.5 V6, AMG body kit and 18" wheels)
b) Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

In this country, both cost about the same.

Any and all your comments are more than welcome...

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Here are my reasons why I think you should get the GT:

1. You'll have more fun driving the GT :D
2. Car looks much better :cool:
3. GT reliability is on par with the Mercedes :)
4. You'll probably drive a more exclusive vehicle (not sure which country you're in though…)

Let us know how you get on with your choice :)

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Can't believe they cost the same :confused: :confused: :confused:

Without checking I can't be 100% sure but in the UK I'm 99.999% certain the Merc you've specified would be a lot more money.

However the GT is the much nicer looking car both outside and in the engine bay :) :) :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Why should I get a GT? (LONG)

Thanks for all your comments -- please keep them coming.

Yes, I am located in Peru.

And yes, the Merc is much more expensive in the UK compared to the GT (I used both brands' on line configurators to determine this). However, here I can get the Merc at a very discounted price for the next 5 days, so it ends costing about the same as the GT (in fact, the GT is US$1400 more expensive than the Merc!)
The actual prices, in US$ are:
Merc SC 350 US$51.5 K
GT 3.2 V6 US$52.4 K
159 3.2 V6 US$59 K
Brera 3.2 US$63 K

A few additional comments that might bring more insight:
a) There are exactly 35 Sport Coupes in Lima (just another one is a 350, so mine would be the 2nd)
b) There are no GTs -- mine would be the first.
c) The reason for (b) is that Alfa Romeo has been operating on and off in this country, and they just came back 6 months ago through the local Fiat dealer. Lots of people wre upset when the previous (and only) dealer left some 15 years ago -- huge depreciation hit on their vehicles. However, it seems that the Spanish corporation that owns the local Alfa / Fiat dealer is a solid one (anybody heard of Bergé group?)

My other cars were a GTI 6 (which I am planning to keep) and the Cupra. I am mostly concerned with performance and driving involvement. I fell in love with Alfas when I was a kid an my grandfather had a sports version (Giulia or Giuletta?). When I finally was able to afford a car, Alfa had left the country :(

I have driven a C 350 -- great acceleration, not much driver involvement, but haven't driven a GT (there's none in this country, remember? :) ) But it would seem that performance wise the Merc is a superior car, and it would also seem that since I am getting a *VERY* special price, depreciation in 2 yrs would be minimal -- then I could sell it for almost what I paid for it, an then buy a 159 GTA if Alfa is still around in Peru...

Now that is what my reason and head tell me -- get the Merc! but my heart tells me get the Alfa GT! It seems the Merc is a great car to drive, but the Alfa is a car you wear....

Thanks again for all your comments. Great forum, BTW.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
You should buy the GT becuase its an Alfa :D

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
What Gary said !! :D

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I would take the Alfa though the Merc would make most sense there just something about having the only one in the country that would make teh Alfa that bit more special, Mercs are everywhere here and all look much the same, don't know about Peru but even if yours is one of the few 350s what sets it apart from the others, not a lot i'd imagine?

its your money though a re-sale will hit you financially I'd imagine especially if the dealer pulls out again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for all the comments --- all are welcome!

Question: Is the aluminium looking plate on the dashboard (where the CD player is) real aluminium? Or is it plastic?

Thanks.

RRPalma

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i think you would buy the merc with your head, and the alfa with your heart.

from a performance, build quality, and resale point of view, the merc has it won.

i'd still buy the alfa in your situation. :D

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
For my tuppenceworth, I think that both cars are very good, the Merc Sports Coupe though is due for a complete revision as it's been on the market about 6 years in it's present form. If Mercedes brought out a new version in the next year or so this would hit your car quite badly in depreciation.

Alfa's GT has been out around 3 years and is (I think) about ready for a proper facelift to bring it more in line with the new generation of Alfa's (Brera, Spider, 159). If it isn't uprated in the next year or so it will be dropped from the product offering by Alfa unless demand is still high.

Alfa Romeo's present Strategy is to only let a few cars on to the market and not offer discounts. This is artificially keeping prices high because of demand for 'the right car'.

If they change their strategy then you could also find that your GT will depreciate faster than anticipated.

Realistically in a choice between both cars you have to make a decision based on money being no object i.e. it doesn't matter what you lose. If you think about it in business terms, what is your total cost of ownership and what is your return on investment, I think that you would probably get a better ROI from the Alfa but with a higher TCO and if that is a balance you can live with, go for the Alfa, if not... get the Merc.

I've driven a Sports Coupe and it was good, but it felt outdated compared to newer cars I've driven recently, I've driven the GT and the Brera back to back and I'd choose the GT over the Brera because simply because it handled better. I had to do an emergency brake whilst on the test drive in the GT and there was practically no nose dive which I was very impressed with. It's a very nimble car that feels like it's up on it's toes at speed and as such I felt very connected to the whole experience of driving it, the car involved me, in comparison, the Sports Coupe was just another box on four wheels, it was a good car, but I wouldn;t spend my own money on one.

Sorry for going off on one ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts