Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.this is my first post- I have a chance of a used a nice 1992 164 2L in Scotland. some history, around 80k miles and VERY good order throughout, with long tax and mot. What would be a reasonable price, and what should I look out for? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
£500 to £1000 dependant on what requires doing due to missing history and how good a very good 16 year old car actually is!

164 TS is very reliable and sturdy - Just do the usual checks for leaks, water/oil usage, tyre wear, suspension wear, brakes and electrics.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
£ 350 - £ 500 is my estimate. :D

Any advances ???

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
£1000 Dougie ?????

You could get a 166 for that !!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I paid £100 for my 3.0 Lusso 164 in 2002 - was H-reg, great car, served me well for 3 years before refusing to start. Never sorted it, scrapped it.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Scrap value is about £ 250 - £ 300 now !! :eek:

·
Registered
4,150 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Any car from 1992 is by now pretty old and even though the 164 is quite solid you could be in for costly repairs. So unless you are a pretty good DIY´er or a mechanic I wouldn´t recommend it. If you do go along with this, set a limit of spending on repairs and when you reach that scrap the car. The risk is that 2-3 years down the line you realize that you´ve spend so much on repairs that you could almost have kept a new car running for the same amount - and all you got was driving an old heap which is breaking down all the time. Now, that´s the logical me, but if you really love the car then go for it.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
..a tidy 164 tspark won't be a heap.. they last very well.

generally rust isn't a problem, but on uk cars the salty roads can rust the rear suspension cross member. if there's rust elsswhere on the bodywork it's usually a sign the car has been badly repaired at some stage.

also, suspension bushes tend to wear making the handling sloppy, and they're heavy enough on rear shocks. the strut bearings at the front can sometimes collapse too.. turn the wheel from side to side and listen, and see if it feels smooth.

engine wise the old nord tspark is a gem.. no timing belt issues to worry about, though if the chain is rattly at all it should be re-tensioned (easy enough). only things that really go wrong are the air flow meter (you'll feel a "stumble" at a steady cruise) and very occasionally the head gasket.

If it's red the laquer may start coming off the paint. check the sunroof opens and closes properly.. if it has trouble closing it's usually just a rail that needs to be bent slightly, but it's a good haggling point.

At 80k a reasonably well maintained tspark is only just getting going..

good luck..!

·
Registered
674 Posts
If it's running, has a long MoT, and you can buy it for a cheap price then it makes sense. 164s are sturdy, well made, and those old pre-rubber-belt engines go on for ever.

But be warned: big cars come with big bills. A 164 tyre will cost an awful lot more than one for a Fiat Punto. It's all to do with gauging how much life is in the package offered and deciding how much you want to pay.

Cheap motoring is possible but you need to know when to walk away. SteK's story above is a good example of how to do it. A few years ago I bought a perfectly functioning 1991 Saab 9000 (same floor pan as the 164) for EUR €300. It served me very well for one year then it developed a cutting out problem. My mistake was trying to source a replacement ECU from a scrapyard and chase down the problem. Ultimately I couldn't and much time and money were wasted. With motoring at that end of the market I should have walked away the first day it cut out. If you are willing to take this attitude then you can have many miles of cheap fun in your 164.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Depends though. My 164 is the only car I've ever wanted, so I'm happy to just keep fixing whatever needs fixing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well, coming back to the original question: why should I buy a 164?

Great styling which is aging very gracefully.

Great performance from a tough-as-old-boots classic engine, with surprisingly economical mpg.

Great handling that some compare favourably with the Mk1 Golf.

Great comfort, more space inside than a 166 and a touch quieter.

Altogether a great car and I still miss mine!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Rust around the rear jacking points and trailing arm attachment points. Pretty hard to repair properly. Also rust around the leading edge of the rear wheelarches (where they are covered by the rear doors.

Depending on specification, check the heater control "stepper motors". If it has three round dials on the centre console for heater controls, you needn't worry. If it has a load of square buttons that look like they came off a space ship, it has "climate control". Make sure that you try every setting on the air distribution console (screen, face vents, footwell etc) and that the air does as it's told. Also make sure it blows hot AND cold. If it fails to do either, it's a dashboard-out job, which is not for the faint hearted!

Other than that, they're remarkably well built. Some say, the best built cars Alfa ever did!

·
Registered
120 Posts
But be warned: big cars come with big bills. A 164 tyre will cost an awful lot more than one for a Fiat Punto.

My mistake was trying to source a replacement ECU from a scrapyard and chase down the problem. Ultimately I couldn't and much time and money were wasted. With motoring at that end of the market I should have walked away the first day it cut out. If you are willing to take this attitude then you can have many miles of cheap fun in your 164.
My point exactly - you need to set a limit up front when to cut your losses. You may have lots of happy motoring and in general the 164 is as good as they come but it is an old car by now and lots of things can break down. May not be serious things, but your local mechanic charges by the hour and for parts and it sums up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you keep an Alfa 164 in tip-top condition (and keep the subframes checked for rust every two years) by buying the spare parts and making the job yourself... you will get a very nice car that will give you satifaction. Otherwise big bills and .... as they say in Italy "donne e motori, gioie e dolori" (women and engines, satisfaction and pains!).:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts