Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....does the smallest of jobs have to be such a pain in butt!

Dead lambda sensor - 2 nights spent trying to remove one which was obviously put in by rambo!
Damaged headlamp - remove everything except the engine to get it out!

Now, trying to change the oil, rounded of sump plug, most of norfolks supply of wd40 used, and cant budge it with anything!! I have nothing to heat it with - so no idea what to do!!

How much oil can i expect to drain by removing the oil filter (assuming of course that will come off :lol:)

D

·
0 Posts
You could try hammering an old allen/torx bit into the hole in the plug, make sure it is tightly in and then try it.

You should get about 4.5l out incl removing filter

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Davffc,

Cheers for the reply.

Tried that one already!
I mean't just removing the filter - but that aint going to do it.

Really trying to avoid a trip to the local garage to get it removed, as he is a total scoundrel!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a piece of kit! Job done :)
5 mins pumping her dry, 10 for the rest!

Same bit of kit in halfrauds is £70, so well worth the money. Felt like a proper del-boy mobile oil change service!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
That's nifty.. :)

Sump plugs do seem to get tightened up as if they're being sent for a 10 years Jupiter mission - I've never understood it (though I can see why you wouldn't want the beast to fall out).

I'd still fix the drain plug if it was mine.. it would just be annoying to know it's "stuck". At least next time you'll be able to do it in good time, not half-way through wanting to drain the oil.

Buy a new plug for it though.. I don't imagine the old one will be in that good nick by the time it comes out.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
136 Posts
oh alfas do make for creative solutions dont they i went to change my air filter last week as it sounded a bit clogged found the screw heads on top stripped and when i tried to drill them out i nakered 2 heavy duty drill bits i mean really what are they made of! i ended up removing the pass front wheel and the wheel arch to remove the bo. so i. ould cut the scres loose with a hacksaw honestly

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Ralf - yeah, it's a great toy! Rest assured i will replace the sump nut should i find someone schwarzenegger-esque to get the b*gger out!

I know what you mean GTV! I'm intending doing my gear linkages soon - will it really be as simple as removing the battery and battery tray (as i've seen somewhere on here).....i fear it won't! Lol!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I know what you mean GTV! I'm intending doing my gear linkages soon - will it really be as simple as removing the battery and battery tray (as i've seen somewhere on here).....i fear it won't! Lol!
It should be that simple assuming you're just replacing the bushes/selector plate on top of the gearbox. If it's the whole cable you're talking about though then I believe you have to drop the exhaust off...

·
Premium Member
45,021 Posts
We fit our reconditioned engines with sumps that have a steel insert fitted to them, meaning you never get the steel sump plug galvanicly corroding itself into the ally sump.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It should be that simple assuming you're just replacing the bushes/selector plate on top of the gearbox. If it's the whole cable you're talking about though then I believe you have to drop the exhaust off...
my initial plan is to lube up the bushes/linkage area to see if that shows any improvment before going the whole hog.

I'm still busy searching for my next victim for pumping oil out of :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We fit our reconditioned engines with sumps that have a steel insert fitted to them, meaning you never get the steel sump plug galvanicly corroding itself into the ally sump.
:cool:

I should have seen the danger signs here - the sump plug was already rounded off slightly, i knew i'd only make it worse/never shift it - but hey ho! Jobs done now.

I have an mot coming which will encompass checking most things in the 96k service and replacing as necessary, and i've already done the rest according to the book - so i'll get the sump plug replaced at the next cambelt in 20k miles time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts