Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not used my spider for several weeks because of the bad weather and the use of my 'normal' car. Jumped into it this morning and the battery was flat. I put the battery on trickle charge WITH THE LEADS STILL ATTACHED Came to start it now and the CODE light wont go out and the injector light goes out for a millisecond and is back on again. Wont start.

There was a strange noise coming from where the ECU is situated under the left hand side dash.

I had the same problem 13 months ago and had to have a new ECU. I think i have 'cooked' the ECU.......

Now disconnected the leads and hope it will reset.. but i dont give it much hope..

Why oh Why didnt i take the leads off... :cry:

Just looked at my original invoice and there is a good change that its under warrenty as ive only covered 2000 miles since it was changed, but they dont know my original mileage as it wasnt declared, and its just over 12 months old (outside the warrenty period)... fingers crossed..

D

·
0 Posts
amazing cars alfas, they even go wrong sitting in a garage, i cant see how a trickle charge can damage the ecu, there is a lot more juice going through it wen it is jump started, leave it off for a few hours and try it then.

R

·
0 Posts
No consolation I know (unless it helps you diagnose the problem), but I've trickle charged mine several times with the leads on without problem. Did you ever find out what spiked the first ECU?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I just have this feeling :rant: that its the same issues as last time. The only thing i can think of why it happened last time is for this reason that i left the leads on while it was been charged. The guys at Camco just said it was faulty.. i will leave it overnight and give it a try in the morning, slim change i guess.... but i should be postative, its an Alfa for f sake lol :(

·
Vendor
45,293 Posts
Try removing and cleaning the relay for the injection control module, on the 156 it is one of the relays that is in front of the battery and it sometimes does fail causing the code light to stick on. Happened to me. I don't know where it is on a Spider though, but probably in a similar place.

If the relay has failed then diagnostics won't be able to connect.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Teacher.. Repeat after me
NigelupNorth.. Yes Sir
Teacher.. Dont be so negative about Alfo Romeo's again
NigelUpNorth.. Yes Sir.. Sorry Sir

Keys in ignition..lights went out... and... :thumbs: It reset itself overnight

Phew... strange things these Alfas :lol:

PS.. Thanks for all your advice :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Its nice when something gets sorted without any cost attached to it...... I bet you won't do that again though! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts