Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so fed up with experiencing and hearing about online scams originating in Nigeria. Why do we have to put up with it, surely the rest of the world has enough influence to put a stop to it. The general population live in poverty but have little chance of any sympathy or help while these crooks are giving the country such a bad name.

·
Administrator
23,070 Posts
Well - I have no problem with Nigerian scams.

Ignore them - it does not affect my opinion of Nigerians in general any more than I think Columbians are all part of the international drugs trade.

Or am I missing something here?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've nothing against Nigerians either, I just can't understand why their government and the rest of the world seem to give the criminal element there free reign to scam to their hearts content. Last night I had someone ruin my e bay listing causing me to lose a genuine buyer and cost me fees , a few months ago I responded to car ad that was false, a couple of weeks ago a freind of mine had his credit card cloned. All 3 things involved Nigeria. It's not that I have suffered greatly, it's just a nuisance that we shouldn't have to put up with.

·
Registered
696 Posts
It's a cultural thing by all accounts.

If you can make money for very little effort that is seen as worthy.

They would be right at home as British politicians.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What was it I heard on TV today something like.... If you rob a bank and take people's money you get sent to prison, if you set up a bank and take people's money.........guess the rest:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
It is in their culture and that's a fact.

I was told by a Ghanain (when I was working out there) to NEVER trust a Nigerian.
If you tell them that something cannot be done, they will try and find a way of doing it. Like the rest of Western Africa, if they put this mentality into running their countries and their fantastic continent, they would rule the world.

Shame. :rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is in their culture and that's a fact.

I was told by a Ghanain (when I was working out there) to NEVER trust a Nigerian.
If you tell them that something cannot be done, they will try and find a way of doing it. Like the rest of Western Africa, if they put this mentality into running their countries and their fantastic continent, they would rule the world.

Shame. :rolleyes:
I heard the same about Ghanains from a persn from Guinea.

(Only joking! ;)

Although a lot of scam spam can be traced to Nigerians,
most of the big stuff is from our friends in the Russian Confederation.

An I have to agree with the Nigerian politician who said, when
questioned why they don't so more about it said, (And I may be paraphrasing a bit) that people who fall for these scams shouldn't be such greedy cretins. :thumbs:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An I have to agree with the Nigerian politician who said, when
questioned why they don't so more about it said, (And I may be paraphrasing a bit) that people who fall for these scams shouldn't be such greedy cretins. :thumbs:
But isn't that just saying that some people deserve to be stolen from and good for you if you can find them and empty their bank account.
When I started this thread I had nothing against Nigerians as whole but if deception and theft is part of their culture and they condone it, then I do have something against them.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I started this thread I had nothing against Nigerians as whole but if deception and theft is part of their culture and they condone it, then I do have something against them.
I reccomend reading the book 'Blood River' by (I think) Tim Butcher. Which although centred upon The Congo, gives a good insight to the mentality of West Africa, and points a finger of blame at where things started to go wrong in that part of the world.

I'll not spoil it, but It's a very thought provoking book, and has changed my opinion of the people of the continent, and the way they are governed.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,219 Posts
"Hello my dearest establishment friend. My farther, Appa Ollo Doppo, was recently kilted by a rival gang of murderous lice. First, they are slaying donkeys for fun, before attaching my farther. On his bed of deathness, he made one request; that I Kontact ewe. I know that we are stranglers, but my farter, fearing his de'ath, has been done some research into people who he could untrust to his many wealths. After much luking, he find you as honest and knobble UK man to give his money grand collection of colourful beads.

Please dear kindest sir; in exchange for all you bonk details and permissions of your identity, allow me to fulfill my farter's dream and deposit you with $99,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

It is a gift of kindness that I give, as my farter know you to be good man, and you will conquer his vish of vash and slice the lice.

I truly remain your most dependent brother of God's joy"

And...hit delete.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks HST, its on Amazon £4.61:thumbs:

As ridiculous as Scudetto's example might seem it's not far from being the typical scam e mail:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
i like the scams :)

I play with the scammers ;)

Welcome to the 419 Eater great site!!

create a fake email address, search in google for "mugu guymen guestbook" and it'll throw up a load of guestbooks that scammers use to get people's email addys. Then go to some of these and put your fake address on them.
Within a day or 2 go check your fake address and you'll have a load of scammers just waiting to be messed around :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Rights thats enough about dodgy Nigerians. Time to put a stop to it.

Everyone send me £5 for you guide on how not to be a victim.

Send cash only to PO BOX 11111, Nigeria. ( Purely coincidental )

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But isn't that just saying that some people deserve to be stolen from and good for you if you can find them and empty their bank account.
No, It's about stupid people being greedy.

Most of these scams are about lotteries you've not entered
or illicit money that needs to be shifted via you bank account, for
a percentage.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, It's about stupid people being greedy.

Most of these scams are about lotteries you've not entered
or illicit money that needs to be shifted via you bank account, for
a percentage.
Yes, but all I wanted to do was sell my N95 on E bay to someone in the UK without interruption from some lowlife jerk in Africa who cost me 8 quid.:rant::lol:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Mess them about, cost them postage !!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts