Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have a wee problem that maybe some of you have came across before!

My GTV t-spark won't start and the key lock symbol is flashing! I thought with all the cold weather, and as it hasn't been driven much, it was the battery which I've jump started. The lights etc are working and it sounds like its about to start...but then it doesn't!!

I do think the battery was an issue but now I'm worried its something to do with the immobiliser!

I've never seen the key lock symbol flashing before so does this mean immobiliser problems or battery not charged enough???

Bit of a nuisance and have spent a fortune on Tabitha so hope its something simple this time!

Please let me know if you have any ideas! :)

Thanks,
angela

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
It means the immobiliser is preventing the car starting. There are several thingss that can cause this but the first to try is to disconnect the battery for 20 mins, then reconnect and try again. This happened to me when the battery went flat. I would try this first and if that doesn't sort it, you can try the next suggestion. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
do you have the other key??? a square red one....it tells the engine to work...if the key light comes on it means the engine is not recognising the key ,you need the other one to reset it i think,,,,its what i was told when i bought mine,,,,dont loose the key the lady said,,,so it is in my safe but havent had to use it yet...might be a trip to an alfa garage to get it reset....hope you get it sorted..

·
Registered
178 Posts
sounds to me like your battery has gone flat and the immobiliser ecu has completely powered down and de coded the keys.

very simple solution, if you have the master brown key. re-code the keys and it should start first time.

should tell you how to do it in the owners manual. but i think the process is put the brown key (master) in then turn the ignition on, leave it 10 seconds then insert you other keys doing the same thing, then re-insurt the master one. not 100% sure tho, its been a while since i have done it.

i have known of this to happen to a few alfas.

sean

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Just disconnect the battery for 20 mins, don't start worrying about keys yet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
give that battery thing a go, but if it has been left for a while with a flat battery im 99.9% sure it needs re-coding. aslong as you havent spiked the ecu jump starting the thing :cry:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dont know if its the same sort of system as on a Renault but if it is....the battery going flat will not cause the keys to lose the code. The pickup in the ignition switch recognises the chip in the key (which doesnt even need a battery in it) and allows the immo ecu to send a 4 digit code to the main ecu and away you go. I sent my immo to a guy in Durham who by passed it for 80 quid (350 Euro at Renault) Problem solved.

·
Registered
107 Posts
we've had a similar thing happen with our gtv.sometimes it's turning over but not starting and CODE displayed on the dash.i thought the same that its because the car's not been used and it's been freezing for ages but after a couple attempts it starts.i tried the brown key earlier today but no luck then my wife went out and it started fine with the regular key.we'll have it checked out at some point next week and i'll let you know how we get on.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
we've had a similar thing happen with our gtv.sometimes it's turning over but not starting and CODE displayed on the dash.i thought the same that its because the car's not been used and it's been freezing for ages but after a couple attempts it starts.i tried the brown key earlier today but no luck then my wife went out and it started fine with the regular key.we'll have it checked out at some point next week and i'll let you know how we get on.
It can be a dodgy connection in the reciever in the key barrel. Some people have been known to have to move the steering wheel up and down to get it to recognise the key :lol:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your help! Heading out tonight so won't go fiddling with dirty car bits just now but will try removing the battery in the morning!

Fingers crossed its not the key thing, ummm it might be a problem... I only bought the car about ten months ago but apparently it was lost years ago but I have heard they are important!!

Thanks so much, will let you know how me & Tabitha get on tomorrow (I think shes huffing because she's been left out in the cold!)

Thanks again, its so good of you all to take the time to help!

Take care,
angela

·
Registered
77 Posts
It can be a dodgy connection in the reciever in the key barrel. Some people have been known to have to move the steering wheel up and down to get it to recognise the key :lol:
This is not as daft as it sounds! It works for me every time.

When the key lamp wont go off when I insert turn my key no amount of re-tries will sort out the problem. There is only one thing that works for me: Take key out, release the steering wheel rake lock and wobble the steering wheel up and down. Two or three wobbles seems to do it. Then it works fine for some random amount of time before I have to do the procedure again.

Its not ideal. a few days ago I think I messed up my steering wheel's airbag by doing this procedure. The airbag light is now on :cry:

Even so, its worth remembering the "wobble trick" when your stuck in a car park miles from home trying to start your car!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just had exactly the same problem, good advice above. I disconnected the battery and placed in on charge, she still would not start with the red key but started first time with the brown master. After that no problems with the red key. When you are starting the car look at the alarm led (above the fuel cap release) if it is flashing and the car does not start the imobiliser is cutting in. One thing I have learnt over the years is Alfa hate less than 12Volts! I would not worry yet! My 166 and 164's were exactly the same!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Someone knows where is located the immo on a 916GTV ?

I have the same problem. The key light is on and the car doesn't start.
Hi There,

the 'code' box is next to the fusebox, it's bright yellow, you can't miss it.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it worked - Thank you!!!

Hi!!

Thank you all so much for your help - i took the battery out, got it fully chraged, put it back in then took it out, left it for an hour then put it back in and bravissimo!!!

i had been worrying in case it would be an expensive job but i was so happy when i heard the engine start to roar!!!

a big thanks from me & tabitha whos now enjoying life back on the road!

safe & happy driving to you all
xox

1 - 18 of 18 Posts