Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am involved in the Real People competition run by Alfa Romeo Ireland where I won a Giulietta for a year and have a blog at realpeople.ie where you can see my posts and some pics from the 'into the west' trip last week. Basically we are set a monthly task and this month its to find out Why Owning An Alfa Romeo Is More Than Owning A Car?

It is with this question that I would love to hear your reasons why you hopefully believe that this is true. I will be compiling a blog within the next fortnight and would love to include some of your stories, reasons etc.

Many thanks in advance for any replies,

Yours Sincerely

Alan McNamee

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Owning an Alfa is more of an emotion. Every time I go out to mine, I blip the alarm fob, the interior lights come on & I open the door with a reassuring click & it closes with a reassuring thud. Turning the key to II & waiting for the systems to engage for a few seconds I look around the interior. Turning the key again, the V6 Busso engine starts & it's a nice reassuring sound. Driving is just a comfortable experience, but if you want to open it up it really goes. So all this is available in a BMW or Merc, but nothing makes you quite so special. It's as simple as that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 166,

thats exactly the kind of experience I'm looking for, agreed lots of marques provide a nice experience, but there is a certain something to driving an Alfa, especially with that engine such effortless power....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Most things Italian are about passion not clinical over thinking. Italian motorbikes are the same, you just seem to connect when you own one. Other prestige marques seem soulless in comparison and designed around the engineering not the experience.

Reliability is always in the back of your mind "when's the next bill coming" etc

It's just a shame they are not offering more models to choose from nowadays.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Occasional frustration leads to higher appreciation!

That and the sweet ass exhaust note and just the general driving feel, feels a lot better than boring newer cars (and even "sporty" cars of about the same vintage - 1998 Nissan Skyline is what I am comparing here)

·
Registered
13,593 Posts
It's Italian and quite high end.
I also own a Ferrari and for me the experience is similar. The main difference being I can afford to drive the Alfa Spider everyday but not the Ferrari. Not quite a substitute (the Ferrari is beautiful and full of Italian character) but the Alfa is very, very close. Maybe the Spider part has something to play here not sure.

Fantastic cars that like the Ferrari I should have had done years ago. :cool:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Emotional connection is the number one factor, it defies logic that an inanimate device for transportation can wriggle under your skin and somehow become one of the family.

This is what defines an Alfa Romeo as 'more than just a car'.

G

·
0 Posts
Basically we are set a monthly task and this month its to find out Why Owning An Alfa Romeo Is More Than Owning A Car?

It is with this question that I would love to hear your reasons why you hopefully believe that this is true. I will be compiling a blog within the next fortnight and would love to include some of your stories, reasons etc.
If you were a true Alfista, you wouldn't need to ask............ Obviously driving the Giulietta hasn't had the right effect yet.

Slightly sarcy answer (don't mean to be rude, sorry if it comes over that way), but true.

Just scan round this site and some of the other Alfa forums and you should be able to get a sense of what we feel about the cars. FWIW, the first few seconds of test driving an Alfa Sprint Green Cloverleaf in about 1983 made me realise this was something special. Perhaps the new Giulietta doesn't have that magic?

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
140 Posts
We saw the new Renault advert the other day, the one where the guy picks up the attractive lady and drives her home, she invites him in and he says no. The advert being he just wanted to drive the car. The wife turned to me and said "I've never felt like that about a car". I turned to her and said I feel like that all the time- I just love the walk up to her, the caress of the leather seats, the noise when she starts and driving her, even at 30 going to the local superstore is magic, and when I've parked her, I need to turn and look at least twice back at her.
It's an awesome feeling !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you were a true Alfista, you wouldn't need to ask............ Obviously driving the Giulietta hasn't had the right effect yet.
Hi Nigel, thanks for the post, I don't need to ask, but just wanted to garner the experience and opinions of the Alfisti here on the forum. I believe I know exactly why it feels more than just owning a car, but it wouldn't be very interesting if I only had my opinion to base it on.

regards

Alan

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I new I wanted an Alfa before I even got my licence thanks to my brother-in-laws 156.

There is something about them that you dont find in other cars (other than my Clio). If I fall out with mine it'll stall or wont go in gear right and then when I apoligise it'll be fine. The noise of the engine is so enjoyable at any speed. I love my Mito so much I park it in places I can check up on it just to make sure it's ok.

I've well and truly been bitten by the Italian bug (whether car or bike) that I doubt I'll buy anything else now.

·
Registered
494 Posts
When I owned Peugeots, if it broke down I didn't really care.
When the Alfa broke down it was like my world turned upside down!

She is my second wife basically!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don't know had sad it is, but I even know all the shop windows on my way to work that reflect back an image of my car on the move.

I often wonder if to others it's just a black car and nothing special, but to me I love every angle.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Nigel, thanks for the post, I don't need to ask, but just wanted to garner the experience and opinions of the Alfisti here on the forum. I believe I know exactly why it feels more than just owning a car, but it wouldn't be very interesting if I only had my opinion to base it on.

regards

Alan
Fair play, I'm glad you feel that way. Ultimately it's about how it makes you feel, and I'm sure the real proof they are looking for is what you really believe about Alfa, and can you express in a compelling way why it means more to you than just any car.

But to add some thoughts to the pot, for me it's the heritage of the badge. Alfa is the only non-supercar brand that conjures up images of some of the greatest race and road cars ever, and there's still elements of that in the current products (at least the one I have). I can connect the engine in my car with one of Alfa's greatest ever engineers and there are several design cues that echo the great Alfas of the past (like the cooling slots round the grille). That makes it more than just a fancy saloon to me.

A cynic would of course say that I just can't afford a Ferrari, so I'm trying to make my car out to be more special than it really is......

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
13,593 Posts
Fair play, I'm glad you feel that way. Ultimately it's about how it makes you feel, and I'm sure the real proof they are looking for is what you really believe about Alfa, and can you express in a compelling way why it means more to you than just any car.

But to add some thoughts to the pot, for me it's the heritage of the badge. Alfa is the only non-supercar brand that conjures up images of some of the greatest race and road cars ever, and there's still elements of that in the current products (at least the one I have). I can connect the engine in my car with one of Alfa's greatest ever engineers and there are several design cues that echo the great Alfas of the past (like the cooling slots round the grille). That makes it more than just a fancy saloon to me.

A cynic would of course say that I just can't afford a Ferrari, so I'm trying to make my car out to be more special than it really is......

Cheers,

Nigel
I own a beautiful F355 and this gorgeous Spider. Only had the latter for a few weeks but if you trawled the internet for things I have said about my cars from day one apart from the Alfa and the Ferrari it usually ends up detrimental pretty soon. The F355 and Mondial before it along with this Alfa are like nothing else. I have been in Fiats and they don't do anything so it is not just them being Italian though that is a part of it :thumbs:

They are different and so much equal.
Ferrari's employee car park at Maranello is full of them :)

I generally kept the fact I had a Ferrari secret on most forums and certainly the ones I have joined in the last few years but here it felt right from the start to mention it. Further proof in my mind how similar they are.

PS I looked at a black 2004 GT today. I think a GT is going to be added to the stable shortly.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Ctrl+c / Ctrl+p blog content?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts