Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title really says it all. My GTV's struggle with Texaco 97 RON and so does my GTA. Both BP and Shell higher octane jollop seems to cure bottom end lumpiness...but I don't know why?

I don't ever put anything other than the 97/98 RON fuels in but the Texaco fuels really seem to affect how all of my cars feel. I've also never filled up at a supermarket, more out of unknown or unwarranted concern than knowledge.

I know a lot of chat surrounds Ethanol content but there can't be too much of a difference as all fuels probably pass through one of about five refineries in the UK..

Anyone else see similar problems?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have exactly the same with mine, owned mine for just over a year, first time I filled up was in the middle of know where put £20 of 95 Ron (all they had) car ran ok, put a full tank of bp ultimate when I got home this made the car very lumpy.

Next time I filled up put a tank of V power in could notice the difference instantly, she's only been fed Vpower since.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The title really says it all. My GTV's struggle with Texaco 97 RON and so does my GTA. Both BP and Shell higher octane jollop seems to cure bottom end lumpiness...but I don't know why?

I don't ever put anything other than the 97/98 RON fuels in but the Texaco fuels really seem to affect how all of my cars feel. I've also never filled up at a supermarket, more out of unknown or unwarranted concern than knowledge.

I know a lot of chat surrounds Ethanol content but there can't be too much of a difference as all fuels probably pass through one of about five refineries in the UK..

Yes there can be a lot of difference, in particular how the fuel has been stored and how old it is. Ethanol absorbs moisture and if not stored properly this can cause your engine to behave out of character as it's trying to burn water as well as fuel. If the Texaco stuff is that noticeably crap then don't use it.

S

·
0 Posts
Use a garage that is very busy. Best chance of fresh fuel.

That said sometimes it is just the garage.

The BP near me had a full refit about 5 years ago when it was discovered that 2 of its fuel holding tanks had ruptured/rusted and when it rained heavily, rain water was getting in to the fuel.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

When did you last change the spark plugs?

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
When the timing was out on my 156 GTA it seemed to work really well with V-power but the idle was always lumpy on standard unleaded.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When did you last change the spark plugs?
About a week ago. I've used most of the new tank now and it's back to its usual beat. I had the same from this particular garage with both GtV's a few years back. They are a busy garage but I just avoid filling up there unless absolutely desperate. It has to be the fuel as the car truly is running very well now it's gone through a fresh tank of BP 97 RON..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts