Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having few problems with my lovely alfa at the minute; the remote central locking is so temperamental its a joke, i get rear foglight failure warning ever few minutes, checked the bulb and changed the fuse still beeping away. but by far the most annoying problem is just how slow the thing is!! yeah i know it's only a 1.6 but still, it feels like it has 20bhp, not 120. i mean my friends 1.2 punto is faster to 60 than my 147!! what the hell is wrong?! I've tried a few ideas on this site including unplugging my MAF, when i did that the idle was around 600rpm. went for a drive and it sounded like an absolute dog, so rough and choppy for example, was doing 30mph in 3rd, when i floored it, the revs dropped for a second or two then eventually started to accelerate no quicker but no slower than with the MAF plugged in (apart from the drop in revs for a few seconds) also i am only getting 25-30mpg mainly driving on dual carriage ways with little to no traffic.

can anyone shed some light on my terrible slow poorly alfa?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Could be a cat/exhaust restriction.
Fouled plugs
Dirty air filter
Split in the intake hose (flexi part after maf)
Timing issues
Issues with fuel delivery

So many possibilities a case of eliminating each one….good luck

Have you driven other Alfas of similar spec as they are a little lethargic low down but more power at the top end

·
Registered
47 Posts
i've found this too mate, my 1.6 seems to be a wee bit slow low down in the rev range, but get it singing abouve 4gand and it soon picks its feet up. let us know how you get on sortin it tho matey

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be a cat/exhaust restriction - not checked yet

Fouled plugs - plugs are new at last service 1600 miles ago

Dirty air filter - same as plugs

Split in the intake hose (flexi part after maf) - just checked, all is good

Timing issues - not sure how to check???

Issues with fuel delivery - not sure how to check either???

bought alfadiag, just need a cable now then i'll give it a diag :thumbs:

replaced lamda 2 in january, kept throwing up MSCF. So, anyone else care to share their opinions? :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
same here!! well, not yet as there's so much needs doing to mine but i just havent got the funds :( but when its all done :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my 2l Selespeed. She's been serviced in March but damn shes dog slow. I've just got Alfa diag and dont really know how to use it. The are no fault codes though.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
the 1.6 T spark is the slowest car i've ever driven, full stop... driven newer ones, and older ones, all of them wouldn't pull my granny off her **** pot...

Think it's a case of big well built car, small engine? (Hence consumption is pants, and performance is worse... the BMW 116 is the same!)

(Our Coopers - 1.6 16v, 120bhp go really well, had a customer say a MINI one is quicker than his 147 1.6 T spark that he traded in)

·
Registered
47 Posts
the 1.6 T spark is the slowest car i've ever driven, full stop... driven newer ones, and older ones, all of them wouldn't pull my granny off her **** pot...

Think it's a case of big well built car, small engine? (Hence consumption is pants, and performance is worse... the BMW 116 is the same!)

(Our Coopers - 1.6 16v, 120bhp go really well, had a customer say a MINI one is quicker than his 147 1.6 T spark that he traded in)
but at the end of the day its a mini... know what u mean tho, the cooper 's' is a pretty fast motor lol

·
Registered
569 Posts

Completely ridiculous. The 156 1,6 will outrun many 1,8 petrols in ither similar sized cars from the time.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Completely ridiculous. The 156 1,6 will outrun many 1,8 petrols in ither similar sized cars from the time.
Must admit, I think an alfa forum isn't the place for it, but had a customer of mine (And I love my alfas too, having had my gtv for 3 years) trade in a 147 1.6 twinny Lusso, and couldn't believe that 2 cars with the same rated horsepower could perform so differently.

I'll have to agree with your statement about the 1.8s from other manufacturers - back in 98 a lot of them were 8 valves with a maximum of 110/115bhp - Peugeot's 2.0 of that era still only had 123bhp!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think I'm in a similar situation. As of yesterday my 147 is very slow. Can barely reach 80mph and when it does it takes about half an hour to do so and is very loud. It just can't seem to surpass even 3500 revs in 5th gear.

It also has an intermittent rattling which sounds like a piece of metal in a washing machine. It is coming from the exhaust/cat kind of area (I'm no expert) I'm pretty sure it's related to the above problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had a similar prob with mine. When I got it it went like a stabbed rat. I took it to a crooked garage for its service but it transpired they swopped sound engine parts for knackered ones and it went like an asthmatic hooker.:wow:

Took it to a good garage, they changed the Maf and some connector leads and put some Redex in. The Redex seems to have flushed the injectors very well and its back shredding BMWs off the lights. It feels absolutely fantastic to drive again now. I have also started to pump the tires up hard and fuel consumption is proly 20% better as well. :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i've never had issues with power or speed, i am actually very happy with the way my 1.6 goes!
its not great compared to some other cars I'll admit freely but I still love how it drives.
up against an '02 1.6 Bora(golf saloon) my car is more powerful and handles so much sweeter... engine note is also more tuneful.

**I can only think of MAF or LAMBDA being your culprit but you've checked those...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts