Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks

Did a search just there and delighted to find out that its normal for my Bella to consume 1L per 1000-1200Mi but does anyone know why?:confused:

I know some high compression engines (circa 11:1) like the 90's Peugeot 1.9 SRI and toyota 20valve engines can really drink oil if driven on but I dont really drive my 147 all that hard,

Is it to do with piston rings or compression or god forbid engine wear?

Any info appreciated, cheers

P_C

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Reckon it's the luck of the draw, never had to top our 147 up once between services, so count it as being in the fortunate few. Always keep a litre in the 'hammock' in the boot, but have only ever dusted it off.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mine doesn't use much oil. At most I'd put in maybe a litre between services (every 10-12k). I did notice that semi-synthetic seemed to burn a bit faster than fully-synthetic.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Hi P_C
Welcome to AO

Some Twinsparks use oil, some don’t. Mine uses around a small cupful (~150mm) every week or so, I cover around 250miles a week of mixed A roads and town driving. I frequently use the full rev range when overtaking btw.

If an engine is using oil due to wear (eg piston rings) then it will show black smoke from the exhaust. The Twinspark however is actually ‘designed’ to use oil, it runs very hot apparently and the oil vaporises rather than being burnt in the chamber as it would if there was a fault. My car came with a little sticker imploring the owner to check and top up the oil every week ‘’due to Alfa Romeo’s strong racing heritage’’, so they obviously recognise the situation.

Of course the use of oil is only an issue when the car is owned by a non-enthusiast or fleet, and no-one ever bothers to lift the bonnet. This can lead to variator problems and ultimately engine damage. It is important to keep the oil at the ‘max’ level. In addition I change my oil and filter (using fully synthetic) every 6 months.

So it’s not really anything to worry about, certainly not a fault.

Many modern cars will use oil although the manufacturers would like us to think cars are ''maintenance free''. Apparently the powerful Audi engines can use a fair bit, like you say the Toyota VVTi and others like the high reving Hondas etc

I digress but I recall a friends battered old Mini 1275GT (remember those?) that almost used to use more oil than petrol..he used to drive a 40 mile round trip to work and had to put a litre of oil in twice a day! In the end he wrote it off when a drunk vicar forced him off the road!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
My 2.0 uses a lot more oil than the partners 1.6! So be thankful :) - both use oil, so as far as im concerned, its normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi P_C
Welcome to AO

If an engine is using oil due to wear (eg piston rings) then it will show black smoke from the exhaust. The Twinspark however is actually ‘designed’ to use oil, it runs very hot apparently and the oil vaporises rather than being burnt in the chamber as it would if there was a fault. My car came with a little sticker imploring the owner to check and top up the oil every week ‘’due to Alfa Romeo’s strong racing heritage’’, so they obviously recognise the situation.

Cheers Norbert,

Ive also been looking into the fact that the engine never really goes above 70deg which as i suspected is the thermo stuck open, and interestly one poster believed that replacing the thermo fixed this and also improved fuel and oil consumption,
You can almost see the logic in the pistons and rings not having expanded to their full size and letting oil into the firing chamber, but at the same time my car def doesnt blow blue smoke so i prefer your vaporisation explination.... still would prefer to see the car running at 90 though
What do you think?:confused:

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
My Alfa uses about 1ltr of oil between oil changes (every 10 000 km / 6 000miles).

As stated above, some Alfas use oil, dome don’t. Keep your eye on oil level. Till the oil consumption is stable (doesn’t matter if high or low) everything is OK. If the oil consumption suddenly dramatically changes than search for the cause.

B

·
0 Posts
:D My 155 never used a drop of oil between 6k service intervals.

:( My similarly aged and engined GTV uses a litre every 700 miles,no smoke and the emissions are well below limits......the stuff just disappears,which is rather annoying to say the least.

:p Both treated similarly too on the same regular commute,a mixture of "steady" motorway driving and merciless thrashing to the redline on sliproads and the like........:)

:eek: I might try lobbing some molasses or evo-stik in there to try and slow the loss rate a bit :lol:

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
My 156 uses oil (about 1 litre every 800 miles), i think this is normal or am i wrong :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
It just shows the variation in oil usage from the TS engine. My 156 uses about a litre of oil every 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
Hi P_C
Welcome to AO

Some Twinsparks use oil, some don’t. Mine uses around a small cupful (~150mm) every week or so, I cover around 250miles a week of mixed A roads and town driving. I frequently use the full rev range when overtaking btw.

Of course the use of oil is only an issue when the car is owned by a non-enthusiast or fleet, and no-one ever bothers to lift the bonnet. This can lead to variator problems and ultimately engine damage. It is important to keep the oil at the ‘max’ level. In addition I change my oil and filter (using fully synthetic) every 6 months.

So it’s not really anything to worry about, certainly not a fault.

Many modern cars will use oil although the manufacturers would like us to think cars are ''maintenance free''. Apparently the powerful Audi engines can use a fair bit, like you say the Toyota VVTi and others like the high reving Hondas etc

I digress but I recall a friends battered old Mini 1275GT (remember those?) that almost used to use more oil than petrol..he used to drive a 40 mile round trip to work and had to put a litre of oil in twice a day! In the end he wrote it off when a drunk vicar forced him off the road!

Hope this helps.
I am not sure about this vapourisation theory. For the oil to vapourise it would need to be very hot. The TS engine is not especially hot running.
My therory is that Alfa do not have the technology to finish the bores to the same tolerances as other manufacturers or that the running in procedure they recommend is wrong. As for being designed to use oil, why would they want to do that? BMW, Honda etc don't design engines like that and there is nothing wrong with them.

On the Later JTS engines Alfa recommend a 10W-60 to help stem oil consumption. I can't see why they would deliberatly design a "Loose" engine then go to all the trouble to cure it by changine the oil viscosity.

Buring oil is blue/grey BTW not black. Black is soot from an over rich fuel mixture. ;)

·
Registered
924 Posts
When I did my 2nd belt change, my mechanic had to remove the cam cover to get to my knackered variator which I also planned to change to rid it of that diesel sound. Removing the cover, he found that the cam cover gasket (rubber sealing) was hardened which resulted in what he described as a small opening for vapourised oil to get out.. this showed around the sides of the engine where there were symptoms of oil leaking. I've since replaced that and have been topping up much less oil than I used to!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts