Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning I had to drive down what is at one end a very narrow country lane (Babylon Lane for those of you who know Merstham). The narrow end also has a very tight blind bend in it, and its almost impossible for two cars to pass. However, there are a couple of passing places where the road is wider.

As I was going around the narrow bend in the GTV a black Saab headed towards me - straight past a passing place. I pulled over to the left as much as I could (scraping the GTV against a bush) and stopped, but I couldn't reverse as that would mean reversing around a blind bend. The stupid Saab driver slowed down to a crawl, but refused to stop and reverse back to the passing place. She got the front of her car through okay, but her rear wheel arch clipped mine. I got out to inspect the damage, but she just drover off :mad:

Luckerly there's just a minor scratch that shoudl polish out :), but what is it with people, why can't they back up :confused:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers, I guess it was lucky it didn't do more damage...

N

·
0 Posts
FFS! :mad:

Why should you have to be lucky!? :rant:
Just becuase other people don't know how to drive!

Mind you, same here. 3 of my wheels are scuffed due
to maneuvering to avoid getting sideswiped in narrow streets.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know if the GTV is wider than other cars I have driven but I really seem to notice getting 'the squeeze' from oncoming cars.

I commute through some narrow b-roads from Oxford to Chippenham most days and am staggered at how few people coming in the opposite direction are willing keep to their side of the road and are happy to creep over the middle of the road and stick me into the ditch.

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
When I read the title I thought you work in IT... and had a rant about people losing the data they didn't back up when their hard drive crashes. :D

Because in that instance, people don't back up either.

·
Premium Member
76,983 Posts
if anyone knows the cliff road near Woody Bay in North Devon they'll be familiar with this

single track, cliff edge, precarious passing places, scrapy-nasty cliff wall to damage your car with and gung ho farmers in knackered landy's who try to force you into the Bristol Channel

·
Super Moderator
44,757 Posts
Maybe for some it's literally because they can't.
I remember a few years ago seeing someone forced to back up in Macclesfield, there was no other option.
It took her 5 minutes to back up 30 feet, she was utterly incapable of reversing in a straight line. She weaved from side to side, and several times had to go forward again to straighten up.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
My girlfriend hates reversing. She always goes front first into spaces.

I for one will always reverse into a space in a car park regardless to the fact if I'm near other cars or not. Its just easier and easy to leave. However supermarkets in particular are bad as you have to stick your shopping in the boot so I guess its a catch 22.

N

·
0 Posts
Good point OA,

I'm sure this is due to people only ever
reversing during their test, and never
wanting/being able to do it again after that.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The wife of a friend of mine is really bad at reversing actually...so perhaps Bazza is right...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Some of it is just pure arrogance.
A bloke just round the corner from my house caused a bit of a scene with me a few months back - I was driving down the road and there were several cars parked nose to tail on his side of the road. I started to pass the first car, then he pulled over onto my side of the road and drove straight at me. He then expected me to reverse down the road so he could pass all the parked cars and get back over to his side.

I didn't let him have his way, despite his edging toward me and gesturing in a less than polite manner. Do bear in mind this wasn't some spotty herbert in an old Corsa but a thirty-something bloke with his wife and children in the car.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He should read the Highway code :mad: - it was your right of way

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I don't know if the GTV is wider than other cars I have driven but I really seem to notice getting 'the squeeze' from oncoming cars.
I notice this a lot in my GTV. I have a theory on this. The GTV looks like a sleek, thin sports car, with its crisp lines and low height. But it's not. It's a wide, long bruiser. I think they see you coming and think there's no problem slipping past you.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yep, get this all the time. The ones that frighten me most are the 4x4s that make no attempt at slowing down or moving over as they come towards you down a country lane. I know it's stereotyping, but there certainly does appear to be a particular aggressive attitude that comes with owning a 4x4. Particularly 30- or 40- somethings in "Warrior" penis extensions.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I think it must be a combination of things. Poor manners, ignorance of the highway code with respect to rights of way etc and poor driving skills. My wife and I are constantly amazed and the number of people who cut corners rather than stick to their side, expect you to give way in narrow, one way stretches or plain force you off the road! If I didn't car about my car (and NCB!) I'd call their bluff! :mad:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Maybe for some it's literally because they can't.
Thats true, almost exact same thing happened to me as gary, luckily there were cars behind me so the woman had to reverse, and what an appaling job of it she did, it was comical to watch her going from lock to lock over compensating and nearly crashing into walls on both sides of the road. :cheese:

Looks like we re back round to all buying knackred ratty old lightweight landies and driving them like we just don't give a flying **** ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts