Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
see the nature of a thread vanish after 3 or 4 seconds?

that has vexed me for years ... if the basic information is available
(as in thread title and first line) and then disappear in what seems like a flash

If there is a good reason then fair enough, but I can't figure it out

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
It disappears when you move the mouse. Try pointing at the thread and then take your hand off the mouse.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
The box that flashes up and shows you the first post?

I don't think you can do anything with it, it just shows a taste of things to come! Call it a tease box!

·
Administrator
45,536 Posts
The tooltip? Controlled by your browser software, not by AO I think. Whether it's changeable though, I don't know.

Agree with you Quinn - it'd be great to get it to stay longer.

·
Administrator
87,042 Posts

·
Administrator
45,536 Posts
The massive advantage of the tooltip is that it doesn't require any more information to load. When trying to look during lunch hour at work - when everything internet based grinds to a halt - that's a godsend.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
It doesn't go away on my laptop as long as I point at the thread title. I just tried it and I got bored waiting for it to disappear. How odd.

·
Administrator
45,536 Posts
I'm using Chrome, and it does for me!

·
Administrator
45,536 Posts
Actually, it does appear it simply stays for as long as the mouse is motionless here at home. Work is IE6, and it definitely disappears fairly quickly there.

·
Administrator
87,042 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I must be bored. After extensive research I have found that on Opera the text stays indefinitely, on Chrome for 10 seconds and for Safari and IE about 8 seconds. :cry:

Quinn, you are faulty.

P

·
0 Posts
not much use then at all is it:)
It's simple to change as pie by the developers of the program. These things are part of the software language and the developer has the opportunity that once the mouse point is over any part of a window it can pop up, disappear when you move the mouse, or leave it up until you click the mouse again. You can make it change colour or flash if you so desired.

It's programming 101 but of course it needs a recompile of the whole application. Maybe there's a wishlist and this can be put into it so next time there are changes to the application this could be a change. Five seconds work. :)

P

·
0 Posts
see the nature of a thread vanish after 3 or 4 seconds?

that has vexed me for years ... if the basic information is available
(as in thread title and first line) and then disappear in what seems like a flash

If there is a good reason then fair enough, but I can't figure it out
Quinn I've looked further and there is a section where you should be able to request changes to how the AO software operates.

Ask a question about the site - Alfa Romeo Forum

Honestly, this is a very minor change and next time work is conducted on the AO software this can be carried out in a matter of minutes without risk to the overall application. Here is your chance to get this done. Sounds like plenty of others want it as well. :thumbs:

P

·
0 Posts
....just behind "making AO actually run reliably" in the requirements catalogue :D
Now THAT is a big one. There is a saying, that a software application is only as good as the foundations it has been built on. If it's built on sand, sooner or later it will topple over. There are many applications that because they haven't been designed properly will eventually cease to operate properly and all the band-aid fixes will eventually bring it tumbling down. In many cases this requires an application to be completely re-developed which is a MAJOR job.

I'm not saying AO is in this category but stranger things have happened in very large applications, eventually costing millions to fix. AO is not that big nor do I think it's in dire straits. My guess is that the programming side of things may not have been documented that well and chances are someone new may have taken over and is driving blind.

Documentation of software as it is being developed is a PITA but in the long run may prevent monumental disasters. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts