Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at present working on a media campaign for Alfa Romeo, and i struggle to find the intangible benefits of owning an Alfa. So i want to reach out to you - the alfa loyalists - to share with me your alfa drive experience.

I've read a few posts and i noticed heritage of this brand plays a big part in the purchase decision. Could you tell me if this is the case for you and why would this be important?

thanks !

·
Registered
154 Posts
For me it's the character. Very few affordable cars have the character and styling of an Alfa - most are grey, boring and 'clean'. Just seeing the Alfa lettering on the dials, the trademark deep, round speedo and tacho, the unique styling. I love it.

·
Administrator
60,253 Posts
Moved to GAD

For me it's the uniqueness of my Spiders, there aren't many left around here. They are also wonderful little cars that rarely let me down as my daily drivers. They have style and don't look like the average car.

G

·
0 Posts
Two things for me:

- The heritage of the Alfa brand. Everyone has heard of Alfa, from the earliest days up until now (despite many troubles along the way) they have managed to produce cars that are technically excellent and have real character. And Alfa has a long and proud racing history, from the earliest days through the 1950s/1960s and up to the early 2000s with saloon cars. Sadly the Alfa 156 was the last Alfa with significant racing wins.

- The cars. Over the years Alfa has produced many cars that look great, have great engines and handle superbly. They exude style and character. They are not supercars but they make you feel like you are driving one. They may not have the cold, clinical, technical excellence of a BMW, but they have a certain undefinable "something" that makes them stand out from the crowd. The Brera is a great example. Technically, it's flawed in some ways but park a Brera and a BMW M3 in a car park, and the Brera will get all the attention.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Well it's a combination of things: you always get a technologically advanced car, it's well designed, it has a sense of style, and they are always good to drive. The driving experience involves the feel of the car, the way the seat is in relation to the controls, the way the controls feel, the way the car rides, the noise the car makes, the manner in which it accelerates and the way it goes round corners. There is always a sense of occasion when you go to drive an Alfa: you announce it when you unlock it with the beep on the alarm (this fanfare doesn't happen in other cars: it's like a whistle, as opposed to those cheap alarms that honk their horn at you).

But like you say there is so much that is intangible that adds to this: Driving round with a shield on the front of your car, well that sort of makes you feel like a warrior!

Once you have driven an Alfa for a period of time, other cars just seem very ordinary

·
Registered
73 Posts
Most things Italian are about passion and not the clinical over thinking that goes into some other marques, Italian motorbikes are the same, you just seem to connect when you own one, styling plays a big part too, in a line up of cars parked Alfas alway stand out. Other prestige marques seem soulless in comparison and designed around the engineering not the experience of ownership.

Reliability is always in the back of your mind though "when is the next bill coming" etc.

For me there are very few modern everyday cars on the road that make me look twice.

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
For me it's about the heritage/looks/style and I always feel 'at one' with these cars (on my fourth). They are something special and suit me as I don't like to follow the crowd

I'm totally passionate about Sporty Italian cars and an Alfa also happens to be affordable :cool:

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm pretty sure that by the time this thread fizzles out you'll realise that there is not one sole thing that encompasses people's passion for the marque but a whole array of characteristics that make Alfa ownership a joy.

Styling, sporting heritage, rarity/exclusivity, aesthetics, comfort and the driving experience all play a part but I think Alfa's do have an indefinable quality, an x-factor if you will, that makes you feel good owning or driving one. That's a rare thing to find in engineering today.

I could have bought a faster car, a more economical one, a more spacious one, a more practical one....etc etc. But I can honestly say that I wouldn't have been as happy. I wouldn't have a smile on my face every time I drive or hear the sound of the Busso engine. I wouldn't feel a sense of pride when I return to my car in a car park or garage and see how beautiful it looks next to bland, ubiquitous BMWs, Audi's and Asian 'boxes'. I'm also pretty certain that if I had bought such cars that I wouldn't have received the smiles, looks and positive comments that both my Alfa's have received in the last few years.

If someone asks you "what car do you drive?", it just feels SPECIAL to be able to say "an Alfa", not in a pretentious way but just because you know you haven't followed the herd and adhered to stereotypical nonsense from people/journalists who have never owned one.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
In the past, comparative performance and style. Now it's just style, although the multiair system is getting back to Alfa of old IMO.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,750 Posts
I am at present working on a media campaign for Alfa Romeo, and i struggle to find the intangible benefits of owning an Alfa. So i want to reach out to you - the alfa loyalists - to share with me your alfa drive experience.

I've read a few posts and i noticed heritage of this brand plays a big part in the purchase decision. Could you tell me if this is the case for you and why would this be important?

thanks !
Alfa's secret source can't be codified, I'm afraid. It can't be market segmented, slice and diced and then put into a multi-platform campaign that suddenly clicks with Joe Public. You mentioned the word intangible...you either get Alfas or you don't; I don't think it's possible to take the essence of Alfa and knock it into something tangible that can be crafted and manipulated in a way that's workable.

I don't know how many people buy Alfas for its history; I suspect it means a lot to most Alfisti, but buyers new to Alfa probably couldn't give two beans.

To drive? Well, they can be flawed, but they are rarely (if ever) boring. There is something - here's your word again - intangible about how they drive, though. There is something mischievous about a good Alfa; something that eggs you on to enjoy yourself, to enjoy the moment. You 'sense' it's enjoying it every bit as much as you are, whether it's from the crisp bark, or the V6's smooth and cultured growl. Yes, in early cars, the interiors were junk and the ergonomics laughable, but that's because the heart (and budget) went into the bit that brings out the most thrills; engine, steering, brakes. Why eat rubbish food on fine plates, when you can eat fabulous food on any plate? Understanding - and liking Alfa - takes a mental shift, requiring a different sense of perspective to appreciate compared to other cars.

As an example of how hard Alfa's appeal is to encapsulate and articulate, ask yourself why - more often than not - most Alfa advertising campaigns have either been cliched (playing too much on past successes), cheesy (playing on romance/being Italian etc) or have just been complete rubbish (I'd include the current Giulietta adverts in that group).

Alfa...it's not what you see, it's what you feel. And some will feel it, some won't. Luckily, you only have two cars in the range to worry about :)

Finally, this might - or might not - help. And it's as true now as it was some sixty years ago:

"Alfa Romeo is not merely a make of automobile; it is truly something more than a conventionally built car. There are many automotive makes, among which Alfa Romeo stands apart. It is a kind of affliction, an enthusiasm for a means of transport. It is a way of living, a very special way of perceiving the motor vehicle. What it resists is definition. Its elements are like those of the human spirit which cannot be explained in logical terms. They are sensations, passions, things that have more to do with a man's heart than with his brain."[/I]

- Orazio Puliga, Alfa Romeo

·
Registered
237 Posts
For me it's a combination of Alfa's having style, passion, and soul. Alfa make, and have made some of the most stunning car's on the road through out their rich history.

Although I have had my Alfa for nearly 4 years now, I still find it rewarding to drive, and when ever I get out of the car and walk away from it I still find myself looking back at and thinking what a great looking car it is!

People still bang on about Alfa's being unreliable, but in truth their no worse than many so called premium brand car's. In the 40k+ miles and nearly 4 years I have owned my Alfa all I have replaced are wear and tear items condusive with a 7 year old car that has done 130K. I would say its been one of the best and most reliable cars iv'e owned.

I

G

·
0 Posts
The looks, my gt is 6 years old and is by far the best looking car in the works car park. The way it handles and feels when i throw it through the bends. When i get asked what i drive i feel very proud when i say "ive got a Alfa Romeo GT" especially when the reply is usually "very nice". Its the only car ive owned thats so special i just wish my commute to work was longer...........much much longer :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Alfas

Nothing that i have owned puts a smile on my face that my 147 GTA gives me when i drive it!!! Even my 916 spider does the same!! Having a track day at Monza was the highlight of our lives!! Nothing else comes close (which is affordable) I love our 3 alfas and the rset are just run of the mill and very boring!:lol:

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
They are a driver's car! few other Marques instill the same confidence that an Alfa does when it comes to handling and the ones that do cost considerably more. The styling, well nothing else comes close for the money. The Racing heritage speaks for itself when you hear ernie BEcclestone state that the Alfa was his favourite F1 car in his collection. Its a statement of Individuality and self confidence and a non-norm follower.

PS: If you don't understand it why have you been employed to write about it?:confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
For me its always been a case of when I've sat in an Alfa there's only manufacturer that I could be sitting in. Nothing else feels the same. As others have said, its that connection, that feeling that it has reached into your heart and given it a good squeeze. Quite simply, good or bad you fall in love. Its not driving a car, its a relationship.:inlove:

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I went looking for a diseasal autobox and somehow found a 147 in nuvola blue: it looked different from anything else and then when I drove it I realised it was something special. To drill down though its the feel; it's something special. The only other vehicle with it is the Defender. It's unapologetic. Also the people I have met, like Roger at PeakAlfa, who I now class as friends.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts