Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Y
I am a beef farmer....and my work vehicle is a Toyota Land Cruiser 4.5 diesel. Bloody great thing. Tows an Ifor Williams full of cattle without breaking a sweat. It would, no doubt, lug quite a bit to the tip....if needs be.

However, it is just that - a work vehicle. Smooth and beautifully engineered - but not really soul inspiring.

Maybe, therein lies the issue. Designers are trying to please all the people all the time. The mum-with-kids school run, the tip run, the tree-huggers, the gear-heads wanting all the “in” tech etc etc

Maybe one size doesn’t necessarily fit all. Isn’t that why a lot of folk on here have a 2nd/3rd/weekend/summer car? To fill that desire for a car that just lifts the spirits and makes you smile. Nothing else.....just that.
Ahhhh a proper off roader suv being put to proper use.....

·
Registered
33,228 Posts
That’s a UV?
On the subject of Toyotas, surely you can detect they have a different aesthetic? The Designers leave the process earlier there and it’s productionised by the engineers. I was talking to an ex-colleague who’s working at their Nice studio and he said it was frustrating having to leave a concept and wait to see what would become of it.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I don't get the SUV thing either, they don't do anything that a good sized estate car doesn't do other than give a lofty driving postion.
I've got a wife, 4 kids and a dog.

I have 3 cars. One is not in the least bit practical - but the other 2 are an Audi A4 estate and a LR Disco Sport.

When we all go out together at the weekend I can only take the Disco with 2 in the front, 3 in the back, 1 in the 3rd row and the dog in the half of the load area that is still a load are.

So that's something my SUV does that my good sized estate car doesn't.

I can't get 4 across the rear seat of the Audi - and I refuse to have 1 of the kids rolling around in the load area of it DESPITE their desire to do so.

I could have purchased a people carrier........

·
Registered
33,228 Posts
The people carrier was best summed up by a friend who, several years back, ended up driving a Zafira. He said he felt like his life was over! The SUV avoids this feeling for a lot of people looking for a versatile car. He’s since left his wife and moved back to Scotland.
Which brings up the subject of another reason some people need versatility; family units have changed the number of children at weekends and sometimes children from two marriages are living together. When we had our Multipla we could take our children to an activity or party and take one of their friends home or back home with us. A three-box car is not much good for that.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Who on earth came up with the 'S' for 'Sport' in SUV? A misnomer if ever there was one. Or perhaps it stands for something else?

·
Registered
33,228 Posts
Maybe that’s why it stays as a letter in an acronym? It does allow its owner to participate in their sports better than other cars?
Italians see SUV as a word , in my experience, pronounced “ sooove”.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
UV would make more sense.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
It stands for Utility Vehicle.

What's a Spider got to do with it? It's a stylish 2 seater convertible. It's not trying to be anything else.
And certainly not a ridiculous tank on stilts.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Alfa Romeo have never called the Spider a sports car. It isn't.

Sports cars can be taken out on track days and raced. Some people refer to it as a sport.

·
Registered
33,228 Posts
Probably wise to avoid calling a two seater a sports car if it’s within 100kg of a Stelvio SUV?

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
You're the only one calling it a sports car!
The 2 seater part is correct.

·
Registered
37,362 Posts
I've got a wife, 4 kids and a dog.

I have 3 cars. One is not in the least bit practical - but the other 2 are an Audi A4 estate and a LR Disco Sport.

When we all go out together at the weekend I can only take the Disco with 2 in the front, 3 in the back, 1 in the 3rd row and the dog in the half of the load area that is still a load are.

So that's something my SUV does that my good sized estate car doesn't.

I can't get 4 across the rear seat of the Audi - and I refuse to have 1 of the kids rolling around in the load area of it DESPITE their desire to do so.

I could have purchased a people carrier........
That is fair enough, but the majority of SUV's you see don't have more seats than a bigger estate car.

Many SUV's also give the impression that they should have some offroad ability, where as in practice they have no more than a normal car. But they still have the downsides of higher centre of gravity etc...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Sat having a tea and a slice at my local supermarket cafe, looking out the window through pouring rain towards a main road and I was overwhelmed by the fact that as hundreds of cars went by they all looked the same...
It's all very subjective, but you could have said the same any time in the past. Cars are always built within a current fashion. If you don't like that fashion, it dominates your view and you don't see the variations.

I happened to like 1990s styles in car design, but even then at a BTCC race, with the cars all in sponsorship warpaint, I needed the programme to identify most of them.

Incidentally, the Vintage Sports Car Club was started in the nineteen thirties because the founders thought current cars were all the same: characterless, bland and utilitarian.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I saw this while I was out at lunchtime, is it an suv an estate or both, looked quite good up close
Yes it does look like the designers have used some imagination, and it does look like a stylish estate..... Refreshing to the eyes.... From that angle.. 👍

·
Registered
33,228 Posts
That’s not an estate. It’s a 5dr hatchback. The rear isn’t vertical enough to be an estate and all the more attractive for it. Why is this the I-pace when there’s a failed Mazda SUV ,which isn’t electric, called an e-pace?

41 - 60 of 197 Posts