Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
He also says “quite practical”, something that is of no interest to you.
So a big tank that's only ''quite'' practical.
I'd have thought practicality would be an SUV's only redeeming feature.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Are you thinking of replacing yours with a Citroen?!!

·
Registered
33,228 Posts
No. They simply provided a ready made list of why they think an SUV is appealing. Theirs aren’t to me.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Which clones are you talking about? The Juke looks just like an X1 does it?
I really can't identify either, that's how memorable they are... They all look the same, the sameness is so overpowering that the make is kind of irrelevant, ironically. They all look the same so therefore they may as well be exactly the same. Perception is reality.....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Is this an SUV thread or all cars look the same thread?
Good point.... Suv's are a fine example of sameness though, but not exclusively. When I was looking out the window of the supermarket it was every class of vehicle that looked the same..

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
The design trait I dislike a bit is when front lights started occupying the corner that used to be front wing meets grille or front panel, I just see the potential that a knock in that corner becomes an expensive light, wing, bonnet and bumper replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
When I was a boy and I'm not that old it was either Range Rover or a car, I think suv's serve a purpose, just like a 2 door or an estate does and lets face it the only practical 4 door cars for 4 people are whatever taxi owners use.

·
Registered
33,228 Posts
That’s where you’re wrong. Thatcham has a zone inboard and back a certain distance that, if it’s just replacing a lamp, saves insurance money. If the edge of the bonnet and the wing don’t get damaged it’s just a case of replacing a bumper and a lamp with no skilled work or paint required. Bumpers come ready painted.

·
Registered
33,228 Posts
Look at this Transit with the bumper (off the shelf part) removed. The leading edge of the bonnet /wing etc is far back from front. Also , if the impact from the front reaches the lamp , the sacrificial brackets holding the lamp break and it moves up along the shut line to the wing without damaging the wing or the actual lamp. I know, I worked on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes, those headlight did start the creeping sameness..... Vauxhall insignia auto head lamp £750.00 plus fitting.... Small crack mot failure...front wing £32.00 plus £200 labour and £50 paint......

·
Registered
33,228 Posts
The Stelvio I have; £1300 a lamp.
A front like the 159 is very expensive as the bonnet edge isn’t far from front of car and same for wing. Also not very yielding for pedestrian impact.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am a beef farmer....and my work vehicle is a Toyota Land Cruiser 4.5 diesel. Bloody great thing. Tows an Ifor Williams full of cattle without breaking a sweat. It would, no doubt, lug quite a bit to the tip....if needs be.

However, it is just that - a work vehicle. Smooth and beautifully engineered - but not really soul inspiring.

Maybe, therein lies the issue. Designers are trying to please all the people all the time. The mum-with-kids school run, the tip run, the tree-huggers, the gear-heads wanting all the “in” tech etc etc

Maybe one size doesn’t necessarily fit all. Isn’t that why a lot of folk on here have a 2nd/3rd/weekend/summer car? To fill that desire for a car that just lifts the spirits and makes you smile. Nothing else.....just that.

·
Registered
37,362 Posts
The problem I see is that when a manufacturer tries to do something different they almost always end up being ugly.

The newest Honda Civic, the latest BMW range with the oversized front grill, the Nissan Juke being good examples.

I don't get the SUV thing either, they don't do anything that a good sized estate car doesn't do other than give a lofty driving postion. Personally even the Giulietta seems too high up to me, so I certainly wouldn't choose a Stelvio over a Giulia, but each to their own.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ah, so clearly not a petrolhead.
I'm trying to remain as ignorant as possible in relation to SUVs, and not just Alfa's attempt. I can't stand the things.
I normally agree with a lot of what you have to say Lussoman but I’m sorry you are just wrong on this one. I have had many Alfa’s over the years and I think this is the best drivers car out of the lot other than possibly my Alfasud ti. 210 bhp in a pretty light package, drives as a rear wheel drive the majority of the time unless needed and is supremely practical. As for the diesel bit, I can assure you if that’s what a diesel drives like with 0-60 in about 6.5 secs and great handling dervhead.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
We're all entitled to our own opinions W1NST, it's just that, an opinion. No right or wrong, just an opinion.

Talking of DERVheads, I saw a friend earlier who has a Ghibli diesel (a tweeked Jeep engine I believe). It actually sounded pretty good when he revved it, but the clatter on tick over was really out of place on a car like that. If you can put up with it, fair enough, but I'd struggle even in a Maserati.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
They developed and fitted to the Maserati diesels to replicate more of a petrol engine noise / exhaust note I believe.

21 - 40 of 197 Posts