Alfa Romeo Forum banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Having driven a Giulia for a couple of days I feel the lower seating position seems less natural than the normal easier ingress/egress Stelvio
Yes but the good thing about being an SUV owner is that in order to gain entry to our elevated driving position we sometimes need help.

I normally summon a couple of poor people to lift me up into the Discovery.

If there are no poor people in view (not that any self respecting SUV driver would be complaining about that !!) - I just wait for a disabled to come along in a wheelchair and hold them still while using their lap as a footstool to get in.

Sometimes they complain - but generally I think they deep down love just being next to an SUV like mine (y) - I think it's the higher headlights they enjoy most.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
There does seem to be a link with old age and SUVs.
My friend who bought the Cupra van (#151) talked about it possibly being his last chance of some (motoring) 'fun'. He's retired (considerably older than me), has a dodgy back, but still in good shape and a gym regular. When I challenged him to the whereabouts of the sports car, he flagged up his dodgy back and said the SUV was easier to get in and out of!
That got me thinking. If I ever become old (probably) and decrepit (hopefully not), at least I know there's always an SUV to get me about in during my twilight years. Whether I could get used to the boarding-a-bus-like experience of driving such a thing is another matter. Or I could just take a proper bus instead...

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Driving an SUV in my old age also helps me to keep on going when lesser mortals in their low down saloons have to stop. For instance, yesterday I drove straight through a flock of Nuns outside a church and didn't even have to slow down. I just flicked on the wipers that I have on my very high headlights and carried on to the Conservative Club where I parked among everyone else's SUV.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
His word, not mine.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I've told him he could have a great side hustle as a taxi driver with it. But he doesn't need the money.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Having driven a Giulia for a couple of days I feel the lower seating position seems less natural than the normal easier ingress/egress Stelvio, especially as the B pillar on the saloon is a couple of inches too far forward. The amount of scuff marks on the bottom section of the Giulia doortrim also suggests it’s more of a contrived seating position to get into.
So it would be extremely if not impossible to get out of Giulia if an suv was parked right next to it then.....

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Yes but the good thing about being an SUV owner is that in order to gain entry to our elevated driving position we sometimes need help.

I normally summon a couple of poor people to lift me up into the Discovery.

If there are no poor people in view (not that any self respecting SUV driver would be complaining about that !!) - I just wait for a disabled to come along in a wheelchair and hold them still while using their lap as a footstool to get in.

Sometimes they complain - but generally I think they deep down love just being next to an SUV like mine (y) - I think it's the higher headlights they enjoy most.
How does the new Landy compare to the old one?

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
I've told him he could have a great side hustle as a taxi driver with it. But he doesn't need the money.
Our local council won't license suv's as taxis as they say access is too high and too difficult for elderly and disabled / vulnerable people regardless of their sexual orientation, race, religion, gender identity, martial status, and how much you pass the licensing officer in a brown envelope.....

·
Registered
33,113 Posts
That’s good then. The Stelvio is not too high and difficult for people to get in and out of so it doesn’t qualify for SUV levels of dislike. I’ve seen ladies clambering up into Range Rovers and people trying to get into normal height cars throwing themselves for the last bit as they hold onto the headliner grab handles.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The Stelvio is not too high and difficult for people to get in and out of so it doesn’t qualify for SUV levels of dislike.
You're not trying to say it's different to all the others, are you?!!

·
Registered
33,113 Posts
It doesn’t look like most SUVs to me, except the surfacing of the Jaguar F-Pace which isn’t boxy either. I don’t know how H-Points compare.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
The Stelvio isn't as obnoxious as most suv's. On the suv obnoxometer then audi win by a country (oops... I mean a school run) mile.....

181 - 194 of 194 Posts