Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat having a tea and a slice at my local supermarket cafe, looking out the window through pouring rain towards a main road and I was overwhelmed by the fact that as hundreds of cars went by they all looked the same... How did the industry get to this. No uniqueness, characterless and bland utilitarian sameness. What happened and when did it go wrong?

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Safety. Safety. Safety.

Environmental Protection.

To get the necessary approvals from Government to protect pedestrians and the environment requires a slippery shape to improve fuel consumption and no awkward corners or hard bits which might damage soft objects like humans. Hence every designer arrives at a similar answer.

Add into the mix that the most people hate to stand out in a crowd and therefore the average purchaser wants to buy something not unlike everyone else (or at least that is what the marketing men tell the design office) then all solutions to the design conundrum will be similar.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Add into the mix that the most people hate to stand out in a crowd and therefore the average purchaser wants to buy something not unlike everyone else (or at least that is what the marketing men tell the design office) then all solutions to the design conundrum will be similar.
I think that's the main reason. People must be getting more conservative in their choices. A lot of sheep about.
There's still some 'different' looking cars out there, but few seem to be buying them.
It makes you wonder how the population coped before the bloody SUV arrived. I know they were once the preserve of the yummy mummies, but there's way too many on the roads now for that still to be the case.

·
Registered
32,754 Posts
SUVs seem more logical to me as they are much more natural to step into and there’s space under them to package batteries etc. Whenever a different looking car comes out the public doesn’t like it. I don’t see that today’s cars look any less different than they did when farina did Peugeots and BMCs. In fact cars at that time all had a 7” round headlamp on each front corner.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to say but I don't get the suv thing at all, unless one owns a rambling stately homeo or estate or a farm or something..... Apart from that they seem a pointless monstrosity wherever they are... But there is a lot of them about so I must be an odd one out by not wanting one

·
Registered
32,754 Posts
You obviously never need to carry four people and/or bicycles etc. You never have to take gardening waste or other stuff to the recycling site. And you prefer sitting at road height.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
I'd wager the typical petrolhead (I'd hope there's still a good number on this particular website) would want to sit as low as possible, not up in the high chair. I wish I could get the seat lower in my Spider, it's always felt too high up.
Thankfully I'm not at the point of visiting waste recycling sites yet; my dad occasionally has the need and copes in his hatchback. The bin men manage just fine for me.
But yes, you'd certainly be able to shift a fair amount of crap in a tank, it's one use for them (y)

·
Registered
32,754 Posts
I was all ready to buy a new Brera back in 2007 but I sat in it and realised I didn’t like sitting on the floor. I got a Giulietta instead. It’s what you’re used to I suppose and driving down a B road below hedge height is no fun to me.
As for calling a Stelvio a tank. Just shows your ignorance on the engineering of the Giorgio platform cars.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Ah, so clearly not a petrolhead.
I'm trying to remain as ignorant as possible in relation to SUVs, and not just Alfa's attempt. I can't stand the things.

·
Registered
32,754 Posts
I’m a petrolhead. I’ve worked in car design for over three decades dreaming , sleeping and working in car design.
And I’ve owned more Alfas than you have and Clarkson says “you can’t be a true petrolhead until you’ve owned an Alfa Romeo"
He also said in his Stelvio test , which starts with his “determination to hate it” , “You get the impression it was engineered by people who were involved because they wanted to be. Not because they’d done something wrong”
He goes on to say “ I must say this is a genuinely exciting car to drive. It doesn’t feel as cumbersome as all the other SUVs....”

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Transit vans and trailers are best for taking crap to the tip. I would never base my choice of vehicles on how good they are at going to the tip, unless I wanted a vehicle just to go to the tip, and then I would buy an old bager panal van or transit for that. All other family requirement could be covered in an estate or hatchback... I just don't get the suv craze....

·
Registered
32,754 Posts
The tip use is only a few times a year, so I am hardly going to buy a Transit for that am I?
I’m not basing my choice of car on that but I regularly carry my bike or my son’s inside the car. I just need versatility and my wife’s Kuga was swapped for an IQ which is brilliant for her needs.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m a petrolhead. I’ve worked in car design for over three decades dreaming , sleeping and working in car design.
And I’ve owned more Alfas than you have and Clarkson says “you can’t be a true petrolhead until you’ve owned an Alfa Romeo"
He also said in his Stelvio test , which starts with his “determination to hate it” , “You get the impression it was engineered by people who were involved because they wanted to be. Not because they’d done something wrong”
He goes on to say “ I must say this is a genuinely exciting car to drive. It doesn’t feel as cumbersome as all the other SUVs....”
Clarkson has a soft spot for Alfa, but he is right about suv in general.... Do designers really want to be remembered for designing one of many boring suv,'s that its only achievement is to look as much the same as every other suv as humanly possible? An algorithm could do that..... If I was a designer I would want to design something good......

·
Registered
32,754 Posts
As a Designer you create products that might be for somebody who’s different from yourself. It’s quite an interesting job. You certainly can’t afford to be ignorant as a Designer.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess it's all about getting a share of a market rather than leading the market... That's all I can see when I look at the same old same old vehicles on the road, and that's why they all look the same..... Market share......

·
Registered
32,754 Posts
You can get great market share but great profits don’t go hand in hand.
If you design something that people load up with options that can be profitable than dumping loads of cars with discounts. But yes, it’s a business. Any car you sell in smaller numbers still needs economies of scale by sharing platforms, heaters, engines..
Wait. An engine is 30% of the cars value but batteries in an electric car are 40% so the equation changes. And those batteries can go under the floor with an SUV.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Your SUV is a petrol then , right? You wouldn't be a closet DERVhead would you?

I've had nothing but continuous Alfa ownership for the past 17 or so years now. The reason I've had the Spider so long is because the company no longer offers anything visually interesting to me, and there's nothing on the horizon either. So it's only a matter of time before I leave the sinking ship.
No other manufacturer offers so much style for the money as Alfa used to do, but lots made better cars. So it's all about compromise. But something that looks good is a big factor for me.

Clarkson's review is all about context if you read the whole piece. He's essentially saying a Stelvio isn't bad as far as SUVs go. He'd never buy one!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cloning is one way of making profits for sure but only what has gone before can be cloned....... So what's the point of it...... Where does the new come from?

1 - 20 of 168 Posts