Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Grrrrrrr, The mobile phone, where would we be with out it, a?

I dare anybody that uses this site to admit they dont have a mobile and more so could live without one! But like everything there is a time and a place. Now the law says you mustn't use it while driving unless you have the right equipment....

So why on Earth is it that if somebody cuts you up, or turns outa a turning without a signal 9 outa 10 times they have a poxy mobile plastered to their face.

Classic example, other week while crossing the Dartford bridge, BMW convertable pushes out infront of me, later on I get along side to find not only was he on his mobile he seemed to be having a 3way conversation with the phone and his girlfriend! Where's a copper when you want one?.... By chance on a motorbike along side of him, he then spends at least a min or two (which is far too long) trying to get the drivers attention, then the BMW puts his indicator on and trys to stop on the bridge in solid traffic as he thinks the copper wants to stop him on the bridge :rant: MUPPET

The copper just started to shake his head and rode off, I followed the BM all the way to the tolls, I couldnt see the copper which means he got away with it but even with the treat of what 6points these days people still insist on driving with phones - What do they think Voicemail is for :confused:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I can sympathise with this...

Some stupid cow on her mobiles chooses the wrong lane on a roundabout...cuts infront of me, causes me to slam my brakes on just so she can sit there having a conversation on her bloody mobile.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
I've still got my Ericsson GA628, the one I recently made up a new rechargeable battery pack for.:): Just for phoning GEM recovery should we breakdown.:D Second mobile I've had, first was a Martin Dawes analogue, which I suddenly found out worked no more as systems digital had been born! :(: :lol: Really move with the times I do? :lol:

·
0 Posts
I use mine a lot, but never when driving (even with the 'correct' equipment) - am surprised to still see so many using them whilst driving too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing that really gets me is my mate has a Vovlo V70 it isnt brand new but only about 5-6yrs old, now he can link his phone through his car, its not rocket science - So WHY do I see high end Merc's, BM's, Range Rovers and other much more expensive car where the **** behind the wheel cant connect their phone through the car or buy a fully legal hands free kit?!?!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Either people don't care about the fine and penalty points or the police are never around when you want them to be.

Too many speed cameras and not enough actual police on the roads IMO.

S

·
0 Posts
Is it wrong, legally yes, but morally, to be chatting on the phone ie. telling people you will be late, when the car is stuck in traffic stopped? What if the traffic suddenly moves, couple of mph?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Agree with you 100%, 156_TSpark_Boy. I don't even trust people with full hands-free kits to be truly concentrating on the road but these clowns who drive around with a hand stuck to their ear really p*ss me off. As you say, where are the coppers when you need 'em, eh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
They pee me off as well, I do have a mobile £5 credit will last me about 3 months, I don't understand why people have to have them stuck to their face all the time I.E. when shopping etc, can't these people just be out of contact for a few minutes :mad:

Did a speed awarness course on Tuesday and mobiles were mentioned, the police viewpoint is that they are more distracting than talking to a passenger because you will be intent on the conversation and the person on the other end will have no concept of what is going on around you. They also said that handsfree is not really any better because it is the distraction that is the problem not the holding of the phone.

They also mentioned that if there is an accident they will take mobiles as evidence as a lot of info is stored there. If the phone is a works phone the company involved can be prosecuted as well.

R

·
0 Posts
Yep totally agree, I was driving through town the other day when this stupid woman pulled right out in front of me while on her mobile, I had to swerve and spilled my lager all over the seat !!! :mad:

S

·
0 Posts
Yep totally agree, I was driving through town the other day when this stupid woman pulled right out in front of me while on her mobile, I had to swerve and spilled my lager all over the seat !!! :mad:
:cheese::lol:

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
i don't know how much research needs to done - or, critically, how many lives need to be lost - before peeps wake up to the dangers of mobile phone use when driving.

It's amusing to think that years ago, the Highway Code said passengers shouldn't even talk to the driver for fear of distracting them from their job. Now, many drivers - either through arrogance or ignorance - don't give two hoots.

I keep thinking of that driver who stuffed her car into another thinking that 'it was ok sometimes' to text while driving...which obviously wasn't the case, given she ploughed her VW into a lady changing a wheel on her car on the hard shoulder.

Just switch the thing off, and enjoy the drive!

Driving remains the single most dangerous thing (by a huge margin) that you will do every day. It has the potential to kill you, just like that. Surely you owe it to yourself to protect yourself from such extra risks, and from those other road users who chance those risks.

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
I dare anybody that uses this site to admit they dont have a mobile and more so could live without one!
I've not got a mobile as such - just a sim card inserted in the built-in Alfa radio/cd/phone/sat-nav unit. Put £5 of credit on it when I bought the car (September last year) and there's still credit left, :).

Had to use up some of it yesterday though, :(. Used the voice-command facility to dial (so only one press of a button on the steering wheel, :thumbs:) the number I was reading off the back of a parcel delivery van on the M8 into Edinburgh.

As I came up to pass him, he moved partly across into my lane then braked, forcing me to stamp quite hard on the middle pedal, :mad:. He then speeded back up again (to about 60) and drifted slowly back into the left lane, but then continued to drift left until he was more than half on the hard-shoulder (luckily, no-one broken-down there then! :eek:).

I thought I'd grab this opportunity to squirt past but he suddenly swerved back to the right again and we came within inches of swapping paint, :mad::mad:. There then followed some more unnecessary braking on his part (the road ahead was clear for at least a quarter of a mile, :confused:) before he yet again headed for the hard-shoulder. This time I got a bit further alongside him before I found my side windows rapidly filling with Mercedes Sprinter panelwork and I elected to burn the Ferodos once more - but not before I had a moment to have a quick glance into the cab.

Not only was this muppet of a 'professional driver' holding a mobile to his right ear with his left hand (why do people have to adopt this cross-over technique? :confused:), but he was balancing a clipboard on the steering wheel and writing on it. :wow: Total 4r5ewipe!

My call to his office was greeted with the expected "Oh sorry, we'll have a word with him when he gets back to the depot" response. My "Yeh, I'm sure you will - that's if he hasn't killed himself and innocent others before then" retort resulted in the call being terminated, :rant:. I know nothing further will be done but I felt slightly better for having 'vented my spleen' down the 'phone - so having the means to communicate from behind the wheel does have some benefits, :D.

Oh, and where were the traffic cops whilst this suicidal/homicidal maniac was on the loose? Sitting in the McDonald's car park at the end of the motorway, of course, :rolleyes::mad:.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts