Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grrrrrrrrr, the number of people I see driving with no lights or just side lights in poor visibility conditions makes me grrrrrrrrr, fffffffff.

How selfish can you get??

It's not about seeing it's about being seen!!

Get your 'stuffin' lights on!:mad:

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I always flick my headlights on unless its good viability.. but that comes from having ridden bikes I think.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Now see I use side lights. But I put em on so early its before everyone else does. then when everyone moves to sidelights I put the lights on full. Its part of that whole if they hit me I was more visible ergo its your fault not mine. Does that put me in the annoying group then??

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I like to put my side lights on and my fog lights!
So then people come to the rant room to rant 'why do people put fog lights on' :cheese:
You know I was actually about to comment that sidelights alone are okay its when you get people with sidelights and fogs on that I think why.. its not foggy.. you don't need them.

Even worse when only one works. :rant::rant:

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is osmething that bugs the hell out of me, now I drive for a living, I simply have 2 huge mirros on the van to see whats behind me. Now if the weather s bad I find it very hard to see you without your lights on, even when I look and look again sometimes it can be very difficult.

I normally drive with lights on all the time

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I'm going to be a complete nerd now and point out that actually, that's not true. You don't get energy from nothing. When you turn your lights on it loads the alternator, which makes it harder to turn, which makes your fuel consumption worse.

See the section entitled electrical systems under "Energy Considerations"

Fuel economy in automobiles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Didn't Audi or someone say it was too small an amount to calculate when Clarkson drive the Audi diesel to Edinburgh and back on one tank. So yes it uses energy but not enough to make a real difference.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Didn't Audi or someone say it was too small an amount to calculate when Clarkson drive the Audi diesel to Edinburgh and back on one tank. So yes it uses energy but not enough to make a real difference.
I'm not sure about that, but the article I have given a link to quotes about 1.7mpg reduction for a 200W load, which is over 5% of 30mpg.

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
Grrrrrrrrr, the number of people I see driving with no lights or just side lights in poor visibility conditions makes me grrrrrrrrr, fffffffff.

How selfish can you get??

It's not about seeing it's about being seen!!

Get your 'stuffin' lights on!:mad:

I parked up outside the other day to use the phone, so i put my lights on 'parking' and was chatting away, finished the call,

Pulled off, thought my lights are rubbish.. had a check, forgot to turn on again! Doh !!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You know I was actually about to comment that sidelights alone are okay its when you get people with sidelights and fogs on that I think why.. its not foggy.. you don't need them.

Even worse when only one works. :rant::rant:
Can't believe you took the bait so easily :lol:

Both mine work though!!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
side lights are for being seen

headlights are for seeing others

headlights on in the day dazzle other drivers

fog lights on in anything other than dense fog is just idiotic

reading the highway code occationally may be useful for some.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm going to be a complete nerd now and point out that actually, that's not true. You don't get energy from nothing. When you turn your lights on it loads the alternator, which makes it harder to turn, which makes your fuel consumption worse.

See the section entitled electrical systems under "Energy Considerations"

Fuel economy in automobiles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OH Behave ya sell! LOL! I know someone who used to be like that, when he used to live on his own he would not put the lights on in his house unless he needed to see what he was doing LOL! seriously!
I know its true what you say 'I can afford it' ;-)
I'm the sort of person that doesnt turn the AC off to save 1 mpg, and in this Brera it dont make NO difference so I think 2 x 55w H7's aint gonna hurt LMAO ;-)

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
side lights are for being seen

headlights are for seeing others

headlights on in the day dazzle other drivers

fog lights on in anything other than dense fog is just idiotic

reading the highway code occationally may be useful for some.
I'm not sure if you are quoting from the Highway Code but one thing is very clear to me: Side lights are all but useless in poor vis conditions, if not the Scandinavians would use them as day running lights. They don't: they use higher intensity running lights.

As for headlights dazzling other drivers - that to me is a nonsense. they no more dazzle during the day than in darkness.

Fogs on during clear conditions are an absolute no-no though, they DO dazzle.

You only have to be driving in poor vis busy traffic (heavy rain) to see just what a difference 'being seen' makes. You almost can't see the vehicles coming in the opposite direction with no lights on at all. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY PULL OUT TO OVERTAKE!:wow:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used to leave the headlights on all the time in my 156, but got through bulbs too quickly - its not so much the cost thats the problem - just changing them without removing half the skin from your hand!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts