Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically can anyone tell me why I or any one else would want to use Uconnect Live? I'll try to explain why and what I mean by that. My new Veloce came with it and so far Ive not been overly eager to play with it so over the weekend I thought I'd take a look to see if its any good or any fun or any use. Now after having a play with it I cant really see the point of it or really why its any better than not having it if i'm honest so its leading me to think I must be missing something. So can anyone out there who is actively using it and getting some enjoyment or benefit please tell me how and why. All I can see is that I can record my driving style and get a bit of dubious and probably not very accurate data from it. Then I can post it somewhere or other for someone else to see how I drive. Does that sound about right? Does it do anything else? Is it needed for updating maps or getting live traffic updates on my satnav as I'm using it? Now I'm not the sort of person who gives a monkey's how many miles I'm getting to the gallon, it is what it is and if I need to get somewhere its going to use up some petrol. I'm also not the sort of person that likes to share all my business with the rest of the world and to be honest who really cares anyway? Also do I really want to leave myself open for that data being used against me if some untoward insurance claim or prosectcution happens at some point in the future....

So I'm thinking Uconnect Live is not really aimed at someone like me, unless again maybe I'm missing something. So please anyone whats it all about? Whats the point and should I try a bit harder to learn to like it? Will it open up a whole new world of possibilities and experiences if I get to know it better?

·
Registered
32,047 Posts
When you have discovered, do explain the live bit to me. I like the ability to see the battery percentage charge. And the g-force bit. I'm not sure really as I've never used it live. I'm trying to understand it too!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Live functions are totally overrated, as is Android Auto in general. (I assume carplay is the same....)

First and foremost, even those few who think they need facebook and twitter while driving should understand that here in Germany we have more deaths due smartphone distractions than by alcohol!!!
And don't think that there is less distraction interacting with a car system than a smartphone: the time of " is the same.

The extra features such as eco drive and alfa performance are, simply put, a waste of time:
Yes there is some usefullness of having the eco leave vary colour from green to red. But honestly I think that when I am driving with "cuore sportivo" I do know I am in the red; and when I am driving 70kmh on cruise control I am in the green. For the rest we have (free of charge) the info on the matrix of current & average fuelconsumption.
As for Alfa Performance, again some nifty info albeit totally useless since I cannot drive and observe the various dials distributed over 4 pages with each about three screens. It would begin making some sense, if one could put together a custom home screen with a few dials and let's say current song title.

Considering that here on the mainland the 6.5" Live is a €1600!!!! option upgrade over the base 5" system.
I say, design me a nice holder for a 8-10" high res Tablet and charge me €500, and I'd be happy. Make it retractable and don't worry about charging me an additional €200. Behind it you could easily integrate a (DAB) radio with interface over the tablet.

There is nothing in this €1600 upgrade that my €400 Sony Xperia Tablet Z3 Compact (8") can't do. As a matter of fact
media playing: 100 times better
Navigation: I can chose whichever app I want (Sygic) with regularly updated free maps
OBDII: with apps like torque that is covered too.

My sincerest which to Alfa, and all car makers, stop this bull and give us a decent radio, standardized interface to the steering buttons, and a decent holder or retract for a good sized tablet/phablet.

So! Now I'll get off my soapbox.:soapbox:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well so far it looks like I'm right and its a bit pointless and a waste of my time getting to know it. I was hoping it might have some useful stuff like diagnostics but then why would they include that free of charge when they can eek a little bit more cash out of you from a main dealer when the plug in their laptops. At least it does help to prove I'm not quite being left behind in the gadget world. I had a scare last week when my 11 year god daughter had to teach me how to play minecraft properly... I was there when the ZX81 came out and so it scared me a bit to think I might be losing touch :shocked:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Just showing off my 0-30 mph times in the pub off my phone!! Pulled 0.6g earlier! :vs_OMG:

It's just a gadget that'll be a bit of fun every now and again. No real life benefits. Keeps me amused on a drive. :vs_laugh:

I am more concerned someone will use the info against me!!!

J

·
Registered
21 Posts
Basically can anyone tell me why I or any one else would want to use Uconnect Live? I'll try to explain why and what I mean by that. My new Veloce came with it and so far Ive not been overly eager to play with it so over the weekend I thought I'd take a look to see if its any good or any fun or any use. Now after having a play with it I cant really see the point of it or really why its any better than not having it if i'm honest so its leading me to think I must be missing something. So can anyone out there who is actively using it and getting some enjoyment or benefit please tell me how and why. All I can see is that I can record my driving style and get a bit of dubious and probably not very accurate data from it. Then I can post it somewhere or other for someone else to see how I drive. Does that sound about right? Does it do anything else? Is it needed for updating maps or getting live traffic updates on my satnav as I'm using it? Now I'm not the sort of person who gives a monkey's how many miles I'm getting to the gallon, it is what it is and if I need to get somewhere its going to use up some petrol. I'm also not the sort of person that likes to share all my business with the rest of the world and to be honest who really cares anyway? Also do I really want to leave myself open for that data being used against me if some untoward insurance claim or prosectcution happens at some point in the future....

So I'm thinking Uconnect Live is not really aimed at someone like me, unless again maybe I'm missing something. So please anyone whats it all about? Whats the point and should I try a bit harder to learn to like it? Will it open up a whole new world of possibilities and experiences if I get to know it better?
I have actually just bought a Giulietta 2016 with 6,5 uconnect live. I do not have the car yet, but I expect that i will want to use the TomTom Live feature, which is generally regarded as the best Live Traffic Information available.

Gdreamer

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Comment on my G figure was
"Wow, is that good?". I replied
"Dunno!". Friends reply
"Wanna another pint". Me
"Yep" and on to another topic!

The joys of U Connect Live! :vs_laugh:

Rest of the car is great! Loving it!

J

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I have actually just bought a Giulietta 2016 with 6,5 uconnect live. I do not have the car yet, but I expect that i will want to use the TomTom Live feature, which is generally regarded as the best Live Traffic Information available.

Gdreamer
The sat nav is excellent for re-routing if these's a crash or traffic jam.

Julian

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sat nav is excellent for re-routing if these's a crash or traffic jam.

Julian
Does it need Uconnect live for the tom tom to work though? I read on a previous thread that the satnav updates works off radio signals not a phone signal. If thats the case then is it using up my data if im connected with Uconnect live when using the satnav too. So far that seems to be the only advantage of the live system if its improves the satnav.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I don't think so. I'm sure when I picked the car up I didn't have the U Connect set up on my phone and it gave me updates and re-routes.

I'll check but I think it uses the TMC network broadcasts.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think so. I'm sure when I picked the car up I didn't have the U Connect set up on my phone and it gave me updates and re-routes.

I'll check but I think it uses the TMC network broadcasts.
Thats what I thought. I havent been on a journey that needs the satnav yet so havent had the chance to find out myself so thanks for testing that. If that is the case then no bonus points for Uconnect live then? well maybe only if it inspired at least one person to go to the bar for being so under/overwhelmed :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does it need Uconnect live for the tom tom to work though? I read on a previous thread that the satnav updates works off radio signals not a phone signal. If thats the case then is it using up my data if im connected with Uconnect live when using the satnav too. So far that seems to be the only advantage of the live system if its improves the satnav.
My understanding is that if you do not log in to uconnect live, the Satnav uses indeed TMC, which comes through radiosignals. The traffic info coming through TMC is howver not very reliable because not often enough updated, at least this is how it is in Germany or Belgium.
If you connect to uconnect live you have also access to TomTom Live, which according to tests in German car magazines is the by far best Traffic Information system. TomTom Live uses the information coming from TomTom users (TomTom SatNavs with SIM card, and mobile phones using TomTom navigation) and the infomration is transmitted through the mobile phone.

Gdreamer

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just tried to install the Unconnect App on my phone. Seems it wont work unless I give the app permission to access my contacts, take photos and record videos, access my location, make and manage my phone calls and have access to all my photos , media and files on my phone. Seriously? Why the hell do they need to do any of that other than maybe location since it might possibly be used for the navigation part, assuming that it needs that anyway. Who in their right mind is giving permissions to any of that? Why would it need to take pictures and record video? why does it want my mums phones number? why does it want to make phone calls for me, dont they have their own phones at Uconnect head office? No you cant have access to the hundreds of pictures of my dog doing funny stuff. I think I've just answered my own threads question, there is no reason I need Uconnect live.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh and before that I thought Id try contacting Uncconect directly to get a definite answer regarding whether Unconnect live is needed to get the full tomtom satnav experience. Seems you cant email them either, just get directed to mopar and a pdf manual or suggests you use the infomobile app to send a message that is limited to only a few characters ****ter style.

Definitely not bothered with this any more.

Unless of course I'm still wrong and missing something .....

·
Registered
32,047 Posts
But we've paid extra for it!
I just checked the brochure and we were supposed to have "preloaded 3D maps " too with this top-spec 6.5 inch system.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
But we've paid extra for it!
I just checked the brochure and we were supposed to have "preloaded 3D maps " too with this top-spec 6.5 inch system.
3D maps sounds cool. LIke I said I havent needed to use my satnav since I picked up my new car. I'm going to check tomorrow and see if I got 3D maps. I certainly didnt get any 3D glasses with it. Do you think the petrol station icons will jump out of the screen like a t-rex in Jurassic park :wink_org:

·
Registered
32,047 Posts
"Do you think the petrol station icons will jump out of the screen like a t-rex in Jurassic park ?"
More frequently for you than me if they do!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm Tomtom live only seems available on the 5" screen and not on the 6.5". At least its not mentioned in my manual, or the brochure and the tomtom site only lists 5" as a version for support. So makes me think that live satnav updates aren't available to 6.5" owners anyway, confirming Uconnect really is pointless.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yes, but those same magazines say that the Golf is the best car......

I have really been spoiled by the A6 navigation system; from Bosch I think.
Only problem is that if you receive a re-route due to traffic, so do 60% of the fools around you.

I have been mostly annoyed by the u-connect vigation and re-route nightmare; with live services.
For people who enjoy TomTom I advise to buy a TomTom device for about €150 and then decide which update you want to buy how often.
A premium of €1600 for the 6.5 live plus €200 for map updates is not the smart route.....

BTW maps come from HERE for the 6.5.....

1 - 20 of 81 Posts