Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It must be something in the air, but for some inexplicable reason, I've started thinking about changing my car. I've only had the GT 6 months, it's never let me down and does exactly what it say on the tin.

Why the hell am I thinking of changing it??? Am I ill?

Maybe it's becase the GT is a bit of a compromise (for me that is). I wanted a good looking, relatively quick AND practical car that didn't cost the earth to run. However I'm now doing a lot less mileage (take the train to work) so the need for a diesel car has kinda evaporated. I've found myself looking at some of the alternatives I was considering originally, the S2000 GT, BMW ZM Coupe and VX200 Turbo.

Have I completely lost it?

DC

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I think you've answered your own question, it's not delivering what you require from a car. And even though it's a fantastic car and on paper is a logical choice it means bugger all when your heart is telling you differently. And let;s face it, cars like Alfas are mostly about the heart.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i love mine, but i can see where you are coming from. if you want impractical hard edged thrills, then somehting like the 220 would be much better

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I think it's the oil burner that's worrying you. What's the point of diesel if you're not doing the mileage? So, just trade it in for a JTS or a V6! :cool:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I once had a nice diesel car and like yourself thought to hell with this economy I want a BMW 3 series coupe - so went and bought one.

A month after buying it I was promoted - transferred to the back of beyonds and doing double the daily mileage - on a sparkling new petrol BMW - not pleased - so things can work both ways. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Nope, not lost it, I am in the same position my mileage has come down I have only done 14k in 9 months so I have considered the v6 or more likely a t350c/clio v6 but I know when I get them I will begrudge putting in £55+ of fuel every couple of days, still thinking about it though, I can't fault my diesel at all, its done everything and more (battering most hot hatches on the track for example) but I miss the sheer lunacy of a highly tuned petrol at your right foot, its simple really the GT is a lot of money on a new car when you could buy some serious performance, but then theres the associated upkeep and running if you use it on a similar milage, also knowing me what ever I buy it won't be enough and I typically spend in the region of 5-8k a year on bits and pieces for whatever I buy to get it to suit my taste.

thing is of the alternatives you are looking at none of them are that special except the VX if you are a track nutter, what do you REALLY want out of your next motor, thats what I have been looking at if I want sensible car with safety and reliability I may as well stick with what I have, if I want performance the GT V6 isn't going to offer much over the tuned JTD ( I have had a GTA so know a bit about it) the renualt is a bit chavtastic which leaves me with the TVR as I still want something a but different but can I stomach the ownership experience Hmmmm, sure ther e are loads of other chioces BMW Mthis and Audi Sthat but they are run of the mill everday motors, whats the point, if I chnage its gotta be different, low volume and quick.

So yep I know where your coming from, I'll probably be procrastinating over this for ummm the nest 3 years before I do something though :D

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it's just the fact that it's a diesel (although I do still find the noise embarrasing) I just....oh I dunno, I think I've see na few M Coupes driving around and it made me remember why I considered one in the first place.....of course the reasons I ruled it out were the sub-20mpg economy, no DSC/TC at all in a 330bhp RWD car (330bhp!!!!!!) and £750 per year for the BMW extended warranty. The warranty cost alone would account for the difference in Alfa and BMW depreciation.

I'll think about it over the weekend, I might even clear my head and decide that I'm just being stupid.

DC

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't consider the wibbly wobly convertable, only the breadvan coupe. The crazy thing is a friend who bought a 350Z 6 weeks ago is already bored of it, he's also thinking of changing.

It must be something in the water. I'll take the GT out for a blat tonight or tomorrow to bring me to my senses.

mustn't buy a BMW, mustn't buy a BMW. Repeat a thousand times.......

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The depreciation hit you'll take for changing at 6 months will probably make your eyes water :eek: . Why not hang on until the new Brera makes an appearance :cool: .

As for TVR :rolleyes:

The dealership where my wife got her Punto is a TVR dealer (as well as Fiat, Kia and Morgan). You have to book weeks in advance for a service/warranty work due to the number of TVR's in getting repaired. The workshop is always full of them.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Big Jon said:
The depreciation hit you'll take for changing at 6 months will probably make your eyes water :eek: . Why not hang on until the new Brera makes an appearance :cool: .
Yep thats crossed my mind but I doubt it'll be good enough, looks like a typical modern hatchback which will annoy me after a bit as the 147 did, to normal.

Big Jon said:
As for TVR :rolleyes:

The dealership where my wife got her Punto is a TVR dealer (as well as Fiat, Kia and Morgan). You have to book weeks in advance for a service/warranty work due to the number of TVR's in getting repaired. The workshop is always full of them.
Sounds like the Bristol Alfa dealer :lol:

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depreciation should be okay, I bought the car when it was 6 months old and it was underpriced then. It's one of the best spec JTDs around, all it's missing is the ConnectNav+.

Check out Autotrader for GT JTDs with leather and there are none below £18995 (last time I looked). Mine's got the BOSE, 10disc changer, Xenons, parking sensors, Stromboi grey paint and heated seats so the spec is pretty much as good as it gets. It's also just had a mid-service oil change and is hand washed weekly.

I'll take it for a good drive this weekend, then I'll test drive some other cars to see if I really do wanna change or if I'm just sufferring 6-month blues.

DC

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
DavidCane said:
Depreciation should be okay, I bought the car when it was 6 months old and it was underpriced then. It's one of the best spec JTDs around, all it's missing is the ConnectNav+.

Check out Autotrader for GT JTDs with leather and there are none below £18995 (last time I looked). Mine's got the BOSE, 10disc changer, Xenons, parking sensors, Stromboi grey paint and heated seats so the spec is pretty much as good as it gets. It's also just had a mid-service oil change and is hand washed weekly.

I'll take it for a good drive this weekend, then I'll test drive some other cars to see if I really do wanna change or if I'm just sufferring 6-month blues.

DC
David, don't bet on the depreciation being that good. Unless you are lucky enough to find a private buyer, the dealers will still steal a few grand off you. :(
Why don't you keep it for a while longer in the mean time buy a cheap but fast toy, 155V6, a 75, or an Alfetta GTV6, or something like that?.
What it would cost you would be compensated for the reduced deprecation when you sell the GT as it gets older. It also satisfies the urge a bit.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I see a mistake in the making ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think I've ever owned a car that has made it past 12 months before I start thinking of changing. I usually hang on for 2 years before the urge gets unbearable. The 147 GTA is no exception. Having said that, I think this car has lasted the longested so far...... :p

At the end of the day, I'm in the same boat as you - it comes down to 'price to change'....you'll know when the time is right.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I am always in a constant tizzy planning to change my car - but the small matter of money keeps my best idea's firmly at the drawing board stage. I too feel you would take a big hit by selling your GT now - and will afterwards think 'why did I sell my GT' every time you see one.

I think its not always possible to combine an everyday road car with what you seem to want from a car.
I am currently at the drawing board stage of buying a new Westfield kit car that I want to build myself.
I am not sure what your storage space is like but perhaps a Westfield or somesuch is what you really want while keeping the daily driver?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts