Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sop making parts for a car thats less than 5 years old. I know this may sound a bit much to complain about but i've been trying to find the plastic grill that fits beside the fog light on my late faced 156. I can't find one anywhere and when I ordered it from Alfa they just sent the fog light surround with no grill. In the end I got the dealer to speak to alfa main office and they came back saying that its not made anymore. WTF! :mad: I got a plastic headlight surround for my E12 M35i BMW the other day from BMW. That car was built in 1981 and only 427 were ever made. So what the hell are they playing at!!!! :mad::mad: Don't suppose anyone has one kicking about. I need the passenger side one. :cry:

V

·
0 Posts
i know this wont help but i believe all german manufacturers have to continue making spare parts for any cars they produce for a minimum 15 years. iirc

anyway try autolusso they've got everything else

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i always hassle them but it seems that the second a late faced 156 arrives in the yard the front is gone within seconds. You are right about the german manufacturers spare parts rule. The BMW is 1981. So at 28 years thats twice as long!:lol:

V

·
0 Posts
cant you order one form them so as soon as it comes in it goes to you.

it may be longer. i remember clarkson saying mercedes keep spare parts for all of its car regardless of age, wouldn't be surprised if BMW did the same

·
Registered
515 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that in the EEC all vehicles sold must have parts available for 10 years.

If you are saying the law is 15years in Germany. Order them through a German company web site.
You could ring speak to trading standards, if the 10 year law is correct the S**T will hit the fan with your dealer and Alfa as trading standards will investigate this breach in EEC law.

V

·
0 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that in the EEC all vehicles sold must have parts available for 10 years.

If you are saying the law is 15years in Germany. Order them through a German company web site.
You could ring speak to trading standards, if the 10 year law is correct the S**T will hit the fan with your dealer and Alfa as trading standards will investigate this breach in EEC law.
its only specific to german car manufactures not all cars sold in germany

id find out about the eec law first though as it not really to much to expect to be able to buy spare parts for a 5 year old car even a 10 year old car isnt really pushing the limit

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know what you mean. Two years ago I had a perfectly good 146 written off after some (Italian as it happened) **** pulled out of a side road and stuffed my n/s rear door. The bodyshop tried everywhere to get one, and ultimately were told by Alfa that they don't make them any more! As a result the insurance co wrote off my pride and joy, which had nowt else wrong with it!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys. I'll try both places. The dealer said that alfa upgrded the part and no longer offered the insert. But the part they had still had the clip edges for the insert so basically alfa are being lazy!!!

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
I don't know if the law has changed but it used to be that manufacturers had to keep parts
available for a 'reasonable' period of time. The arbiter of reasonable was the manufacturer
and was based on the laws of supply and demand. Quite often it seems to us that a part
should be kept in stock because we find it hard to believe that the supplier doesn't sell one
every day, when actually they may have never sold one before your demand came along.

The reason some manufacturers have apparantly better availability is often due to the lack
of reliability of those parts causing frequent re-use or simply due to far higher volumes of that
vehicle. There isn't a manufacturer in the world that carries stock of every single part for every
single vehicle, not even Rolls Royce. You always have to put anecdotes into context.

I used to be a Parts Manager for a large company that serviced any make of vehicle and the
truth I found was that the more prestigious the vehicle the more difficult parts supply could
be.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
The bodyshop tried everywhere to get one, and ultimately were told by Alfa that they don't make them any more! As a result the insurance co wrote off my pride and joy, which had nowt else wrong with it!

Second-hand one would have done.. ?

Aye! I think the Krauts do make parts for 10 years after the car's production stopped... I dunno about Alfa but last year I started to find that some parts are out of production/no longer available for my 155, for the first time.. which would be 13 years?

Are you sure the part in question really exists?

Tell us the chassis number and someone can have a look on the ePer. It could be the part is not available as a separate component (you might have to buy a whole new bumper or something to get it :D )... but if it has a part number, then it should be orderable.

Ralf S.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I could get that bit from alfa. Its the mesh bit that fits in it. I even said I would pay for that bit if it was the only way of obtaining the mesh part. Seems reasonable right???

OK chassis no is as follows ZAR9320000337221:thumbs: I even got the part no for the mesh in the other side. Can't find it now though. Will have to take off to have a look

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
(Tounge in cheek) Come to the next Alfa meet and nick one off another car !! :D

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
(Tounge in cheek) Come to the next Alfa meet and nick one off another car !! :D

I suppose your only saying that cos you have a 166 and I can't nick bits off yours!!!:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts