Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
0 Posts
My first 3 points were 'donated' by a 'safety camera'

83 mph on the M6 Northbound on a clear day, minimal traffic etc - safety my erse :mad: :rant:

I wrote to the force that 'caught' me requesting figures relating to , tailgating, mobile phone use, lack of indication & other such acts that are 'safety' issues - no reply

I also requested the calibration certificate of the 'machine' used - no reply

Nothing but a CASHCOW :mad:

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
They are called Safety camera's to kid people into thinking they are improving road safety.

Instead they do little to increase safety. All they do is either catch and fine people over the limit, or slow people down where the cameras are located.

They also allow the police to up their conviction rate, and allow them to get away with fewer traffic police. Real traffic police catch bad drivers (if they can be bothered)

R

·
0 Posts
Because they are only installed in places where there has been a serious accident which was caused by excessive speed. By slowing people down they reduce the chances of a similar accident happening in the same spot.

I should start a rant about drivers that can't grasp this for themselves. :rant:

·
0 Posts
Because they are only installed in places where there has been a serious accident which was caused by excessive speed. By slowing people down they reduce the chances of a similar accident happening in the same spot.

I should start a rant about drivers that can't grasp this for themselves. :rant:
It must feel SO good to never go 1mph over the limit - ever ;)

R

·
0 Posts

They are installed where they can generate the most revenue, show me proof that compared to 30 years ago the roads are any more dangerous than they were, its a con like all the other cons of the UK.GOV, they do not serve the public they help themselves to honest decent UK citizens cash, the only way to solve the problem is to get rid of these scheming arrogant politicos that think they know what is best for you and me.

S

·
0 Posts
They are installed where they can generate the most revenue, show me proof that compared to 30 years ago the roads are any more dangerous than they were, its a con like all the other cons of the UK.GOV, they do not serve the public they help themselves to honest decent UK citizens cash, the only way to solve the problem is to get rid of these scheming arrogant politicos that think they know what is best for you and me.
Totally agree with ya Praetor Shinzon :)

·
0 Posts
No need to be sarcastic. I was just answering the original question. :thumbs:
So they are 'safety' cameras, not simply 'cashcow' speed cameras?

As per my post, what other 'unsafe' acts are they catching? - none! - kerching£$£$£ :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
Honest decent UK citizens don't deliberately break the law. One thing that is best for me and my family is safer roads. If there is an established accident blackspot I am all for anything that reduces the chances of someone I love being killed or maimed by a chancer with no social conscience.

·
0 Posts
So - a scenario

'safety' camera set up near a school (agree in principal, I have kids)

Catches the folk who are late for work, mebee pushing it a bit, but paying attention to the road

Does not catch folk who are travelling the speed limit but use a mobile phone etc while driving

Safety camera my erse :tut:

R

·
0 Posts
Honest decent UK citizens don't deliberately break the law. One thing that is best for me and my family is safer roads. If there is an established accident blackspot I am all for anything that reduces the chances of someone I love being killed or maimed by a chancer with no social conscience.

Ok forget the fine, here is a challenge for the Government, forget the monetary penalty and just go for points on the licence lets say six points instead of three for speeding, run it for 5 years and lets see the results. No financial penalty = no use to the government. Your more likely to be gang raped by a gang of rogue Dwarves than kill someone through a couple of mph over the limit.

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Jon, even if you are late for work and pushing it a bit, you are not legally allowed
to travel over the speed limit. It does look as if that is really the point you do not
like. Or do you think that they should not be called safety cameras unless they are
the total cure for road accidents?

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I have one at the end of my street, supposedly for the safety of the Kids in the 3 Schools close by. So who do you think are the worst culprits........:eek:

I'll tell you exactly who they are, as I see it most Days, its the people picking their kids up from the Schools, they drive through our street like Lunatics, as they DARE not be late picking up, or dropping off their Kids on the School run. So what is the point of putting a Camera there !!!!!!.......:tut:

I rest my case, your Honour !!!!.......:rolleyes:

·
0 Posts
G - it is the phrase 'safety camera' the annoys me :mad:
I totally accept it is my responsibility & that of others to keep to speed limits & if caught travelling above them, accept the consequences (which I have)
Road 'safety' is not all about speeding though, I see far too many folk on the road that should not have the privelage of holding a licence to drive - speeding alone is not hazardous to life - lack of awareness etc is
Therefore strike the 'safety camera' title & purely rename as 'speed cameras' & I will shut up :lol:

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
I guess I saw the thread title ask the question 'why are they called safety cameras?'
That's fairly simple .... because those who put them up would have us believe that
they form part of a strategy to try to make the roads safer.

That is the answer to the question.

We seem to have spent nearly all this thread discussing whether or not that works.
That is a different question.

·
0 Posts
I propose a new develpoment - the 'numpty camera' - it will be programmed to spot idiotic / inconsiderate/ downright dangerous etc driving instead of simply 'speeding'
Anyone with me?
PM for paypal development fees, we'll rake it in :lol:

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Well, in my street, it seems that the Cameras are continually catching the same people on the " School Run " which is very ironic, and they were supposed to protect the Children really, who are probably sitting in the Cars that are being caught all the time !!!!!......:eek:

Not quite sure how that one works !!!!!........:confused:

·
0 Posts
Ban the school run :mad:

There's folk who drive near me, when I walk the same distance :confused:

I am sometimes not far behind them too, depending on Euans 'wandering' speed :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts