Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the thread says.
I have always owned petrol Alfa,s and they have always had light clutches.
IE, the clutch pedal feels like the accelerator pedal.
But as this is my first Diesel, its harder to press,
for me it feels like it has a heaver spring which you are pushing and holding when it comes back.
It doesnt slip or judder.
Now everyone i speak to says "oh yeah diesels have heavier clutches to take up the torc".
So do i just need to get used to it?,
and it doesnt help that my daily runaround is a FIAT Cinq, with a clutch you could blow down.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I found they are heavy when worn, whenever I have had them replaced they become really light/soft.

My 156 2.4 jtd has a newish clutch and is really light (as is my 3.5ton 158bhp van, 2.8tdi - 140k on the original clutch and still not gone heavy), but my 147 1.9Jjtd was quite heavy and 100k old.

I don't think its simply a 'diesel thing' - perhaps an old age alfa thing?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
all dervs start light but always go heaver - even pugs do it.

don't know the reason, but its life :-(

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
ps you will notice it more choping from a petrol to derv every day

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i ask 'why not' after all it takes a MAN to press the clucth of a man's car ;)

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Diesels generally prodce more torque, so to grab the flywheel better you need a strongerspring plate on the clutch, as the hydraulics are the same as the V6 then it will beharder to release the clutch. Force X area X spring plate resistance.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
As smaky says, more torque at the flywheel than SI engines,requires heavier diaphragm fingers, fulcrum point of leverage alters with excessive friction plate wear.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank again for your knowledge gents.
I will probs get used to it but its one of those niggles that make the driving a little less pleasurable.

·
Vendor
46,134 Posts
I got a new clutch in my JTD and it was so much lighter than the old, worn one that was taken out. It probably does mean it will be needing a new one at some point, although if you drive it gently it won't slip.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
It's heavier compared to the JTS, but I prefer it.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The main difference is because the twin spark and JTS cluthes are of the push type release bearing and therefore lighter whilst the V6 petrol and all diesel clutches have pull typy release bearuing and diaphragm and therefore heavier.

·
Registered
38,276 Posts
The main difference is because the twin spark and JTS cluthes are of the push type release bearing and therefore lighter whilst the V6 petrol and all diesel clutches have pull typy release bearuing and diaphragm and therefore heavier.
I don't agree with that. :p

My Fiat has a pull type clutch and is no heavier than a 156 TS.

My V6 156 wasn't heavy either.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mmm,
Interesting i wonder why they made it different :confused:

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I don't agree with that. :p

My Fiat has a pull type clutch and is no heavier than a 156 TS.

My V6 156 wasn't heavy either.
I am sorry you don't agree but it is a fact,simple physics,and if you had the same strength diaphragm springs of a pull type on a push release it would be even harder to push.

And we are not arguing whether car A clutch is heavier or lighter than car B,simply that a diesel one is heavier than a twinie 156.

·
Registered
38,276 Posts
Well a Diesel one has to cope with higher torque too, so the springs will have to be stronger to clamp the friction plate harder to stop it slipping.

I disagree that a pull type clutch will be harder than a pull type clutch if the spring rates are the same, although the pull type does tend to need a more complicated mechanism. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
all dervs start light but always go heaver - even pugs do it.

don't know the reason, but its life :-(
Apart from your observation on Pugs I disagree. I've had a diesel Vectra that covered 112,000 miles on original clutch and was light as a feather. So was the 60,000 mile Laguna.

I also drive a variety of diesel cars on a daily basis, some covering as much as 140,000+ miles and none have a heavy clutch.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
my TS 166 had a lighter clutch than my V6 but its a heavier duty clutch in the V6 to handle the torque. guess its the same principal in the diesel.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Try the stirrup type clutch pedal on a Cent. or a Conq. for real required effort? Probably why I ended up with a duff left knee!:(: Ya! Wimps.:D

·
Registered
38,276 Posts
The clutch on my Coupe is lighter than the one on my Girlfriends old Cinquecento was. Apparently the standard Coupe clutch is good for 300bhp and 275lbft of torque too.. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts