Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of my work recently comes from agencies, many of them in my view are not fit to p*** on even if they were on fire :mad:

I had a phone call yesterday, can you do a session, the customer has put together the agenda, so i looked it over....it's a complete abortion, it won't work well and there is no real learning to be gained due to the rapid rate you have to cover the material.....

I didn't want to get involved so i quoted a silly figure for doing it in the hope that they would choke at my price and find someone else....trust me there are times when things are bad, like now, but still you wouldn't get involved in something because you know the kaka that will come from this will stick with you for a loooooong time :tut:

So they baulked at the price and scoffed at me recommendations, what do i know, i've only been doing the job for 10 years :rolleyes:

Later on yesterday another call from another agency 'can you do XXXXX training course for our client' its a straightforward tried and tested course, and it's 3 days work....result...:thumbs:

I get a phone call today from the first agency, they want me to do the kaka training, so i told them that i had been booked by someone else....OMG :eek:...they were not happy, because i had spoken to them about it they presumed i had commited to it, i pointed out to them they baulked at the price, their reply 'well we didn't say no outright though did we'

So at 5.30 tonight i get an email asking me to reconsider the job, and it ends 'pretty please' :banghead:

Sometime you can't do right for doing wrong, i am still sticking to the 3 day booking but i know that tomorrow they will try again to entice me and make me feel guilty

F:censored:s

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
its because your sooooo good...hugz

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
take the cacky work, charge a fortune, then go and spend it all on beer & skittles. happy days
Wise words. +1

But beer and skittles :eek::confused::eek::confused: Surely you mean booze and birds :confused:
:lol:
;)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Pretty please" :cheese:

Gotta take the rough with the smooth Jay - not good being fecked about though! :tut:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No one can make you feel guilty when you're not.

You named your price and they walked away. If they think they left the door open they were wrong. They're in the doodoo with their client and you are in the clear.
I can't see how any guilt can accrue to you from that.

Look at it this way - If you hadn't found other work and they had awarded it to another contractor, do you really think you could have gone back to them and used their argument in reverse to get the work?
Thought not. :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
If the customer has prepared the brief, why is it the agency's fault?
Because agency's have a habit of telling you one thing and the client another (which reading between the lines has happened in this case). People who work in Agencies are (generally) a bunch of **** wits ...

... Earlier this year I was negotiating a contract renewal so I sat down with the client and we agreed what we wanted the agents to do ... the paperwork eventually comes through and it's wrong, so I query it only to be told over the period of a couple of weeks "that's it take it or leave it" ... so I told them to stick it ... and surprise surprise within the hour I'd got a phone call saying that someone had made a mistake :rolleyes: ... by which time I'd found a contract elsewhere, needless to say the client was fuming.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I always try to be nice to agencies and clients, even if they are being a pain in the nether regions. As long as they pay me on time and don't lie to me, I can put up with most other things. Granted it can be soooooo difficult at times :rolleyes: But any work is better than no work, especially with the current state of things in the UK. If you have too much work, maybe sub the bit you don't want to do?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Who cares if it's a s*** job and no one will learn anything ?

If they are paying the cash, take it, do the job and forget it.
Contract work is all about reputation, no one will remember the reason for the **** course all they will remember is the person who ran it ... therefore person who ran the course will look like a tool ... which will mean that word of mouth recommendations will not come in ...

simples :thumbs:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Contract work is all about reputation, no one will remember the reason for the **** course all they will remember is the person who ran it ... therefore person who ran the course will look like a tool ... which will mean that word of mouth recommendations will not come in ...

simples :thumbs:
hence the reason why i didn't want to do it and double my normal daily rate

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's interesting to see the debate between money and reputation discussed here.

I'd land on the reputation side every time. :thumbs:

When I was an employee of the commissioning organisation I'm not so sure I would have understood the issues in the same way. Now that most of my business is based on past history, I know that perception is king. Go with what you know is right and the business follows.

·
Registered
726 Posts
No one can make you feel guilty when you're not.
You single then, SCSC? :)

It's interesting to see the debate between money and reputation discussed here.

I'd land on the reputation side every time. :thumbs:

When I was an employee of the commissioning organisation I'm not so sure I would have understood the issues in the same way. Now that most of my business is based on past history, I know that perception is king. Go with what you know is right and the business follows.
I'm self employed and I work both direct with corporate clients (more cash, more new business, Good Thing) and with agencies (less cash, ringfenced from the client, no new business, Less Good Thing). There are good and useless people within agencies. It largely depends on the account it's about (for clients and agencies) - the best people will always end up on the best funded and more prestigious accounts, leaving the spanners on the rest.

It's clear from the above where my priorities lie, but the dilemma of the freelance is that you know that once you say "No", they'll get someone else and may never pick up the 'phone to you again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts