Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
I have been in and driven loads of cars and not one even the M3's of the world or Jap cars have nothing on an Alfa for some reason. They have this un explainable quirks that no other car has.

I know cars are basically the same plastic etc etc but for some reason Alfa seem to get it together much better than the rest. It's like being in an Itlian restaurant. The waiters will flail about the place making loads of noise and generally not doing much but still at the same thing it's a great place to be. They might get the order wrong but you will be guaranteed that the food will still be nice even though it is something you didn't order lol.

Kinda like waking up to an Alfa in the morning you never know it is going to start or not:p Like my car hates morning just like me there is a special way to start the thing lol. But I can't see myself driving anything other than one for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's like being in an Italian restaurant. The waiters will flail about the place making loads of noise and generally not doing much but still at the same thing it's a great place to be. They might get the order wrong but you will be guaranteed that the food will still be nice even though it is something you didn't order lol.
It's all about flair :cool:

YouTube - Italian traffic police

·
Registered
171 Posts
I fell in love with the Alfa 155 in the good old days of the BTCC. I loved the wedge shape, the spoilers and the way that the huge wheels fitted the arches (and the fact that they did the Silverstone special). I never thought I'd own a 155 but then found that thy were fairly affordable and so bought a 97 P reg widebody.

Unfortunately it was written off in a hit and run so I bought something more sensible (won't say what - too embarrased). But then Alfa designed another car that I absolutely loved - the GT. That and the fact that I really enjoyed my 155 meant returning to Alfa.

For me, it is definitely about the fantastic design of the car first, then about the performance and drive. For me it also has to be about reasonable practicality and afforability too.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
My Aunt lived in Italy when I was a kid, so maybe some of that rubbed off on me?
All I can remember is I was five years old and my Dad came home with a spanking new "A" reg GTV6. I wasn't all that impressed at first (well I was only 5!) We had an Opel Rekord CD before, and I just loved that comfort - 5 up all the way to Italy :cool:
A quick trip down the road in the Alfa and that was it. WOW! :inlove:
I guess it was the first quick car I ever went in.
As I grew up, and the Alfa became a Merc 190E :cry: I learned more about the marque, its heritage and became more enthusiastic.
Alfas were a rare sight on the roads, but when I saw one I always thought - he knows, thats cool :cool:
When I was 22 I could finally afford the hot hatch I craved. I did consider the 306 GTi-6 that was the daddy of my generation. It just didn't quite hit the spot though. My Alfa itch had to be scratched. A 145 Cloverleaf did just that, what a car :D
My 147 is my fourth Alfa, I think I'll always own at least one. They just do something the competition don't ;)

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Good question this,I have been thinking for a while now why I bought an Alfa so many years ago and again later on.
Spur of the moment decision,is the only thing I can think of:p

·
Registered
10 Posts
To a motor racing mad kid like me, Alfa-Romeo's were beautiful, were painted red and won practically all the races. They were, or had been driven, by Nuvolari, Varzi, Farina, Fagioli and Fangio. Whats more to be said?. Now I drive one too!.

D

·
0 Posts
They did have the greats driving them and some of the storries of old are unreal. :D I remember reading the Enzo biography I had and even he started with Alfa's so Ferrari even had to bow down to Alfa at the begining which can only be a good thing.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
im no engineer....but who needs to be an engineer to appreciate life's little pleasures? and Alfas are truly precious little pleasures...
albeit frustrating pleasures at times...much like pleasurable women, but that's another topic altogether:)

·
Registered
548 Posts
I bought an alfa romeo because everytime i step into my car it puts a smile into my face. Once i am inside the interiour keeps me feel that way. Others need to buy a porsche or somnething similar for that experience.
Next reason: I wanted a somewhat spacy car and the sportwagon is in it`s own (design-)league when compared to similar cars.
Another good reason: There is not so many Alfas around (allthough loads more here in austria then in the UK i bet). I don`t wanna drive the 5th golf in line on the road.

·
Registered
78 Posts
They are like nothing else in their class... Simple as that.

The looks, those interiors, comfort, performance, practicality and affordability.

The 147 managed to feel a lot more special than any other hatchback in my price range, thats why I bought it.

I'll definately look in to Alfas again when the time comes to change... Assuming I don't suffer from too much alfaitis in the interim of course.

... And yes, I am an Engineer.

D

·
0 Posts
Engineer here! My dad is an engineer as well, brought me up on Lego, Meccano, grew up to take things apart and sometimes put them back together again and they still worked. Masters qualified, recently got my chartership so I'll be an engineer for ever hopefully.

Doesn't it get your goat when the world and his wife call themselves engineers, even the bloke that un-jams the cups from the coffee machine calls himself an engineer. He's not a fkkkking engineer dammit! .... sorry, chip on shoulder after 8 years of education and on the job training to earn the job title engineer for the guy that fixes the photocopier to give himself the same title!

Chose the Alfa because it was nicer to drive and had a better interior than the Golf on the forecourt next to it, the 147 had more toys for the same money. Will I stick with Alfa for ever? Probably not, all the cliches about unreliable Italian cars that depreciate like a stone have come true but right now for the money everything else seems so boring. If Audis were more exciting and Alfas were more reliable I'd have a tough choice for my next car.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts