Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I was a child, when an Uncle gave me a gyroscope as a Christmas present, I have been fascinated by Physics and Engineering.

I've been lucky .... I managed to stay in an Engineering environment all my working life... and in there, somewhere, I developed a love for the engineering of the Italians..... and Alfa Romeo seemed a natural choice for a car....... with its fabulous mechanical engineering and brilliant styling.

What about you... as Alfa Romeo owners .....:cool:.... are you Engineers at heart... :confused:

......or do you just love the marque for its history................... or is it something else.....

:confused:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Not an engineer, but do get my hands mucky fixing presses at work and have been part of a motorbike racing team twice so know quality when I see it.

I chose Alfa because when fantasy shopping on Autotrader it was the only marque that I liked every model from, from that it became an obsession to own one.

When I brought my 146 at an auction I was worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations, I needn't have worried :)

I felt special when I got in it everything felt right, apart from the seat is too high, it makes all the right noises and just feels like it is built from a drivers perspective.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,380 Posts
im not an engineer but i do like to get my hands mucky. started with replacing the 'box on my mini then ended up stripping a Twin Spark down and rebuilding. i always liked the way alfas have looked, i dont know what kicked it off. may have been my dad chasing a 33 1.7 thru mid wales quite some years back and i certainly think Tarquini's antics on 2 wheels helped the cause.

either way i love alfas and if mine ever goes wrong il look forward to getting my hands dirty and bringing it back to life

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I bought my first alfa because it was cheaper than the equivilant BMW/Audi :D

·
0 Posts
I'm an engineer (more structural though) I had company cars for over ten years - finally started my company & had to choose something - deffo didn't want the usual mondeo type of car - so started having a browse about (confession, I used to think Alfa's looked weird with the no. plate where it is) - took a liking the the lines of the 156, then discovered the 2.5 V6 existed - I am then on a mission - found the 'car love of my life' on ebay - & not looked back once :)

·
Vendor
45,295 Posts
I bought my first alfa because it was cheaper than the equivilant BMW/Audi :D
Ditto, I was looking at getting a 3 series diesel, something like a 1996, they were going for about £4k at the time.. Then found my late 2000 2.4 JTD, haggled to £3800 and was pretty much in love from there on. Sure it broke down the first night I had it, and I didn't get to drive it much for a month until it was fixed, but I loved it, still do now I suppose even though my V6 is better.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Because when I was looking for a hatchback and I had sat in a Focus and a Golf and hated them I spotted a 147. Went to the dealers sat in, drove it and bought it, then a 156, then a 159 SW and now another 159.

I like Italy and the Italian sense of style and have visited Italy a few times, so I am happy to drive a stylish Italian car. I have tried to leave Alfa a few times but can't :) oh and I am not an engineer, I am a biochemist.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Hmmmm I'm not sure why.

Maybe memories of my Dads 75 haring along happily on windy roads or maybe its down to the fact that Alfas seem to stand out from all the other brands (but not in a weird way - they are pretty cars)

I think it is mainly down to something that is apparent with most italian cars and bikes which I have had over the years in that when you sit in it its as if its just an extension of yourself.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Always loved them, sounds like a cliche but I used to draw Alfas in the back of my school books when I didn't find the lesson interesting enough. Was always intrigued by their exoticness, and it wasn't until I was about 13 when I realised they cost as much as 'normal' cars. Before then, I thought they were uber-expensive, like 50 grand or something!

I always remember seeing a GTV in a traffic jam and fell in love with it straigh away. I remember being 17 and going to an Alfa garage just to sit in a GTV. You could say I regard them as better cars as they really are, but that's fine as I love my GTV :D

·
Premium Member
42,855 Posts
I was looking for something more economical (mpg) after my RX8 and still wanted something that looked different. Tried a mazda3 2.0d sport, a volvo 2.0d and D5 C30 model, but neither of those felt or looked great.

I'd always liked the look of the GT but never had an alfa and the reputation etc... didn't exactly excite me.

However the launch of the Brera really got me interested. Bit to expensive but after visiting the local dealer and test driving the GT jtdm I was hooked... :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sitting at a cafe in Lygon Street Melbourne (reknown for its Italian community) I drooled at the posing Alfa Spiders cruising the main drag seeking the attention of all passers by. I loved and envied these cars but thought that I would never own one..married 2 kids etc. Now with a 4 wheel drive and a stunning 2002 Alfa spider, my dreams have come true. I can't help admiring this car each day. To me it is a work of engineering art. If I had the money to put it up on a pedestal, I would.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was given the option of a company car. I looked at what was around but wanted something different then the usual Vectra, Mondeo etc. The GT Cloverleaf came with the options as standard that I wanted was the right price and the drive was superb.
All being well I should pick her up within 2 weeks. I can't wait!

H

·
0 Posts
I needed a saloon car because of the imminant arrival of our little 'un, and the 156 was the best looking saloon, at the right price for our budget :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts