Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may guess from the title of my post, I'm a bit of a Mechanophobe (if such a thing exists)

I own a 156 2 Ltr TS 2001 49000 Miles and am about to book the car in with my local garage but thought I'd try out this site first of all. I've looked at a number of posts to see if I can find a similar question but I can't.

My car has developed a noise during acceleration and braking which can best be described as Whum, Whum, Whum (it gets faster and slower based on the speed of the car but dissapperars or blends into engine noise after about 30mph. It cannot be described as a knocking or a whine but I'm sure therre is a more technical description than the one I'm using. It happens whether braking or decellerating using the gears. I'm thinking it's therefore coming from the wheels or engine (but doesn't occur if the car is stationary and I pump the accelerator so I'm guessing it wheel related)

Any suggestions or advice you can give (other than to come up with a better description than "Whum Whum Whum" would be much appreciated. If nothing else perhaps I've brought a smile to a few people.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I checked this about a week ago and it didn't seem to change anything when I inflated one tyre that was aboput 0.4 Bar under pressure

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Sounds definitely like hub/tyre related noise, as as been discussed recently among the threads. Some have suggested poor wheel/suspension alignment front or rear causing irregular tyre wear and resulting in a mild form of what the tyres on Land Rovers do so well. In that case it's purely the tred pattern. I've found before that I thought I had a hub bearing problem and gone to the trouble of changing bearings, only to find no change whatever :(. On another occasion hub-like noises disappeared completely when tyres were renewed. Suggest looking at the condition of front and rear suspension bushes and then an alignment check. If all seems OK put up with it 'till next change of tyres or buy new ones according to your sensitivity/decibels! Our 147 suffers from what I consider to be unacceptable rear road noise, apparent from almost standstill. I haven't followed my own advice yet! But then everything takes me eons.

G

·
Could be a wheel bearing showing early signs of failure.

Does it go or get worse when you're turning corners? This would indicate driveshafts.

wrinx

G

·
Sounds like low tread on one of the tyres, there is a tread wear bar 1.6mm or so deep going across the tread every few inches and it makes that type of noise when a tyre is near the wear limit. It could also be low tyre pressures.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
wrinx said:
Does it go or get worse when you're turning corners? This would indicate driveshafts.

wrinx
Hub bearing noise also changes according to load, i/e corners or braking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts